Next Villa Manager

Richard

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

So far I'm only seeing Bruce, Bruce, Bruce in talks and reports for a while now. While seemingly a two horse race a couple of days ago, has it been known who this other fella was/is, and is there any indications that someone else than Bruce is to be appointed very soon?

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd have him over Micah Richards. I'm not particularly enamoured with him though I assure you.

Being better than Micah Richards, is setting the bar pretty low.

• Like 1

Bruce, for me, is ideal. Available and has done well at this level. He's not the long term answer in our quest for world domination but he will hopefully stabilise us and get us moving in the right direction.

Looks like the time off has done him well... he's still a big unit but doesn't look as bloated as before!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

Steve Bruce would be another in a long line of uninspiring appointments over the last 6 years.

I don't think we're in a position for anything else at the minute

People cream about Wagner but there is no way he would be given the time to change the culture at the club. We need instant results. Is Bruce that man? Who knows, but he has a track record of delivering and would be the sensible choice IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pacbuddies said:

Steve Bruce would be another in a long line of uninspiring appointments over the last 6 years.

Had mates saying the same about a manager we appointed in 1974. That man was Ron Saunders, regarded then as a pretty dour character and not a very inspiring choice. You just never know :)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Who could we get that will do a better job and have a proven track record?

• Like 2

Bruce is somewhat underwhelming but then perhaps those of us who feel that way need a reality check. We have recently been relegated and are toward the bottom of the championship. Bruce is very much proven at this level and really should be getting us up, so I guess that's all we need for the short term.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

I'm warming to the idea of Bruce, yeah he's the glamourous appointment to get us all excited but as long as he gets us winning I don't really care at the moment. Every Villa manager has had my backing, and Steve Bruce would get the same. I just hope that whoever comes in can see what the majority of us can see on the pitch and knows how to rectify it. 

Edited by It's Your Round

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

or coincidence that these teams are in such a state after Bruce was in charge :detect:

To be fair those teams got in to bad state a while after he left.  In the case of Sunderland they had the fortune of having MON in charge and then having to get rid of players like Fletcher and Graham on a free after spending 20M on the pair.

Think we have discussed this to death now and have reached the point where we just want the decision to be made.  Stepping back a little I have decided I am not fussed anymore.  Bruce doesn't excite me but his record is exceptional in the championship.  If we go for someone else I assume it will be someone decent.  For all the weaknesses we have as squad, particularly in the middle, we have loads of talented players now and they have come close to winning several games early on.  I just hope our new manager (Bruce or whoever) will get us organized better so we start getting more out of the players we have got.  Could really do with a new manager bounce culminating in a win at small heath.  Do that and the new manager will have no problems settling in.

I'd take Bruce but only if we sack him after going up. I don't think I can handle a summer transfer window where Steve Bruce is pulling the strings. But to get out of the Championship, I don't think there's a better candidate out there. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, but we have to hope Dr. X is ruthless in the event that we do go up like some other owners have shown to be in similar situations.

• Like 1

My biggest fear is if it doesn't start well under Bruce the crowd will turn more quickly and we'll return to a toxic atmosphere at villa park. 

Vp was horrible on match days last season and I don't want it like it like that again. 

I cannot deny Bruce has a good record in the championship but he is an uninspiring choice for me. If he doesn't get us promoted this season I think he'll fail overall, lose the fans and we'll be back to square one. 

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd take Bruce but only if we sack him after going up. I don't think I can handle a summer transfer window where Steve Bruce is pulling the strings. But to get out of the Championship, I don't think there's a better candidate out there. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, but we have to hope Dr. X is ruthless in the event that we do go up like some other owners have shown to be in similar situations.

You'd like to hope that it would be Steve Round who has the most input on players coming in. 

• Like 2