Next Villa Manager

Richard

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wonder if he could master the brummie accent without veering into parody .

I hope not to find out unless he rocks up at the other side of the city to replace Rowett. :)

5 hours ago, KJT123 said:

Quite a bit of money coming in for...Steve McClaren

That what bookies do, they throw a left field in with crazy odds so you think something is happening and follow it with money. Usually o a Saturday night after some beers.

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm really not sure what Villa fans are expecting. There's a touch of unwarranted arrogance about the place. 

Well, of course DDID; we are and will forever be ASTON VILLA FC!

• Like 1

Widely reported its fistface, as much as I don't like him he will get my support like any man that takes charge. I have a suspicion this could be a very good appointment

Edited by Demitri_C

Many pages ago, I had said in my opinion we should go for Rowett / Hughton. Not happenin.g

I also thought we could do better than Bruce. I don't hold anything against him for his Blues days. I just thought we could aim higher...

Still though, after many days of him being bookies favourite (I know, that doesn't guarantee it, see Pearson last time) I have gotten used to the idea that t is likely to be BRuce and I'm ok with it, "ok", not thrilled. However... I have to accept it and if he is appointed I'll be 100% Bruce as he will be our man. Also, let's face it he is surely better than RDM. Not a Bruce fanboy but if he's the man then so be it. He'll be Villa.

If it is him, I'm not sure how attractive our football will be, but I'm sure we will get more points. We just need to get out of the sh-- and start progressing. I'm sure he has that capability to do that, whatever happens after is another matter. Promotion maybe (next year if not this one)

One thing for sure is that Tony, if he don't like whats happening, has shown he will change. So any Bruce haters, if the worse does actually happen then no need to worry as he would suffer the same fate as RDM. personally I thinkif It is Bruce, he wont be anywhere near his p45 after 10/11 league games.

Sorry had a few probably read this andh ate myself tomorrow or today technically

36 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I know people are saying Bruce is a short term choice and not a long term choice. Lambert was long term choice, Sherwood was a long term choice, Garde was a long term choice and RDM was a long term choice. All were built in to build a side to compete. All failed. If our short term is promotion then I am all for it. Bruce is proven at this level. We have to walk before we can run. 

Lambert and RDM, possibly. But I'd say anyone brought in mid-season would be a short term choice.

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Steve Bruce finished (from Blues onwards)

Birmingham City

01/02 - Championship - 5th (promoted via playoffs)

02/03 - Premier League - 13th

03/04 - Premier League - 10th

04/05 - Premier League - 13th

05/06 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

06/07 - Championship 2nd (promoted)

Wigan

07/08 - Premier League - 14th (took over in November)

08/09 - Premier League - 11th

Sunderland

09/10 - Premier League - 13th

10/11 - Premier League - 10th

11/12 - Premier League - 16th (sacked in November)

Hull

12/13 - Championship - 2nd (promoted)

13/14 - Premier League - 16th

14/15 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

15/16 - Championship - 4th (promoted via playoffs)

...................................................................................

Average finishes (finished seasons only);

Premier League - 13.6

Championship - 3.25

so your average doesnt include Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Crystal Palace :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TB said:

And as for Garde being brought in to build a side to compete... :crylaugh:

As for Garde, Bruce or whoever will not be set up for failure.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Thats a pretty good record. Especially when you look at the state those clubs are in now.  Also shows his teams have character to bounce straight back.

or coincidence that these teams are in such a state after Bruce was in charge :detect:

5 hours ago, Mantis said:

Hodgson much better than Bruce? Some people are hilarious. :lol:

Hodgson 8 league titles abroad plus 2 Europa League finals plus 2 international teams to World Cups compared to 1 Fa Cup runner-up medal. really hilarious

• Like 1

I'm not sure that reaching the Europa League final or winning the Swedish league title would help us too much in the Championship though. We need a man who is proven at getting promoted from the 2nd tier of English football.  Bruce has done that very thing 4 times. 

Will be pleased if Bruce is confirmed. He is what we need at the moment for where we are. 

Wuth regards to Wagner, he is at a club where expectations are way lower than ours so he has much less pressure and presumably more time to instil his philosophy. He had a good part of last season and preseason to do this. 

We don't have that luxury as we want to get up asap. 

• Like 1

I would just be happy with a manager that can get it into the players skulls that they are not just turning up for a game of football, but remind them strongly that they are involved in a competition, and that points do matter.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Hodgson 8 league titles abroad plus 2 Europa League finals plus 2 international teams to World Cups compared to 1 Fa Cup runner-up medal. really hilarious

How about his record in English football?

• Like 2