Next Villa Manager

Richard

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That said, like most you've yet to come up with a valid reason as to why he's not the right manager for us, for right now

Oh I have Dave , just that in your opinion you do not agree with my reasons . There is a difference between not giving any valid reason and not giving any valid reason someone else agrees with. 

I understand that you and others are incredibly keen for Bruce to be our manager, that's fine that's your opinion. I disagree with it and will continue to disagree with it. Just like you disagree with and continue to disagree with the opinion that he is wrong for us. You've given your reasons and , while , I do not agree with them at all I accept that you have given some 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

My biggest fear is if it doesn't start well under Bruce the crowd will turn more quickly and we'll return to a toxic atmosphere at villa park. 

Vp was horrible on match days last season and I don't want it like it like that again. 

I cannot deny Bruce has a good record in the championship but he is an uninspiring choice for me. If he doesn't get us promoted this season I think he'll fail overall, lose the fans and we'll be back to square one. 

It was getting pretty toxic under RDM.

Let's remember people didn't turn against McLeish until November/December when results took a nosedive and VP called for his head in a home match v Bolton....on April 24th (my Birthday).

It's a nonsense to think people will be wanting him out if we lose v Wolves for example. He'll get time and if we win a few we'll be hearing SB's claret and Blue army which you'd have laughed about 10 years ago.

But if he can't get us winning especially with the squad we have at this level he does as much stick as any other manager we've had in last 6 years.

It will happen anyway...he wants the job, we want him. Not sure what obstacle there is tbh apart from contractual details.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2016 at 08:55, Hev said:

Oh dear, it's going to be Stevie Bruce isn't it?  Oh well, how about these (with some fine tuning maybe)?

Dr Tone got in his car

but it ran out of juice

so he couldn't go too far

and ended up with Bruuuce

and

Cheer Up Stevie Bruuuuce

Oh what can it mean

now you're manager of Villa

yes, a BIG football teeam

:-( 

Just thought I wd requote my post from page101 now it is looking even more likely.  I am underwhelmed but while he manages us, he will have my full support I guess. Wonder who are the late big names who supposedly have applied (according to The Mirror)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

My biggest fear is if it doesn't start well under Bruce the crowd will turn more quickly and we'll return to a toxic atmosphere at villa park. 

I think it will be like that for anyone to be honest. The fans just want to see a win!

There is always a sense of anti - climax with our managerial appointments . Why can't we ever find a Wagner ? All this talk of Bruce being some sort of stop - gap , I want a manager with panache and vision , someone who fully appreciates what a privilege it is to be at the helm of this wonderful historic club .

• Like 4

I think bruce is exactly whats needed now. lets face it, we are crap. and have gambled on 'long term" appointments for years now, its not worked. get him in and steady the ship for few years, and then build. theres no point getting a fancy dan manager in to try and build a grand house on foundations made of quick sand. 

• Like 1

I watched Bruce this morning on Goals on Sunday day and have to say, he impressed me a bit. 

Different to the Bruce I knew and disliked. To hell with it, I'll give it a shot. 

I believe it was DDID who mentioned he's a long term manager a few pages back. I think I'm about ready to give him a chance to prove that. 

Edit: Has anyone made a 'half the manager he used to be' gag yet? 

Edited by Sam3773

If the choice is really down to Bruce or Clarke, maybe we can wait a couple of games to see if Clarke can have an immediate effect on the tactics/squad. If he manages to put a balanced team out that wins a couple on the bounce I'm not sure how much I'd want Bruce.

On the other hand spudhead has been around a bit at this level and been successful. I would have liked for us to have had a punt on someone younger than either of them myself but right now we really can't be too picky or we could be talking about getting out of League One.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

The crowd turn quick no matter who is in charge. 

I don't really but the sentiment in this, as if to say our fans have no patience and are particularly bad.

We've been served some right trash for so long, the crowd has been justified...and really no different to other fans.  We've had our expectations set high whilst being served dross, bordering petulance from our players and the managers have been clueless to do anything to stop it.

Ultimately the buck stops with the manager, and when you're given the most to spend in the league whilst poaching that leagues best talent the have to do better than rdm.

As soon as consistent improvements start to surface the crowd will be right inside.  Until then rightfully not...

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh I have Dave , just that in your opinion you do not agree with my reasons . There is a difference between not giving any valid reason and not giving any valid reason someone else agrees with. 

Oh, ok. I've just not read them. Best I've seen is that it might not work out when we're back in the PL.

To my mind that displays a level of arrogance I thought we would have banished by now. I do however understand that if you're happier than I am to take the risk of spending a few years rattling around in the Championship then someone like Wagner would be a better fit.

I am not against such a manager, I won't be against any manager. I want the quickest return from the Championship possible and I feel Bruce presents us with that over basically anyone realistically available. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3