Next Villa Manager

Richard

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He did  in at least one season.  Finished about 8th.  

Nope. The best city have finished in the PL era is 9th, under McLeish. Bruce got them tenth, once, but was still below us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

to my knowledge he has never been fully funded in the Premier.

wouldn't be upset with the appointment.....think he would organise the defence.....man of principle, shows character.

He spent 11m on Michael Turner at Sunderland.

Just think about that for a second.

He spent loads at Sunderland...Bent came in for 15m when he was there.

He spent a fair bit at Hull.

His career record generally goes...he does well at the start building decent teams for little money then after a good season or two he goes to the owner demanding 30-40m and it all falls apart shortly afterwards.

• Like 1

Steve Bruce finished (from Blues onwards)

Birmingham City

01/02 - Championship - 5th (promoted via playoffs)

02/03 - Premier League - 13th

03/04 - Premier League - 10th

04/05 - Premier League - 13th

05/06 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

06/07 - Championship 2nd (promoted)

Wigan

07/08 - Premier League - 14th (took over in November)

08/09 - Premier League - 11th

Sunderland

09/10 - Premier League - 13th

10/11 - Premier League - 10th

11/12 - Premier League - 16th (sacked in November)

Hull

12/13 - Championship - 2nd (promoted)

13/14 - Premier League - 16th

14/15 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

15/16 - Championship - 4th (promoted via playoffs)

...................................................................................

Average finishes (finished seasons only);

Premier League - 13.6

Championship - 3.25

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'm thinking of Southampton and Lecistor. Once the manangers that got them promoted did what they had to do they were replaced with managers to take them to next level. Id expect something similar. 

Watford aswell.

I really wouldn't mind Bruce. He's not exactly awful and will no doubt get us promoted either this season or next, especially with backing. It's just not a very exciting appointment, is it? I don't understand how teams like Watford, Middlesbrough and Huddersfield etc have managed to bring in continental managers that have managed to 'hit the ground running' (hate that phrase) and bring with them an entirely different philosophy. With Bruce, we kinda know what we are going to get - and long term, it isn't what we want. 

But hey, I shouldn't be so greedy, maybe if we can win more than 1 game in 10, that's the dream at the moment when it comes to Villa. 

P UTV

25 minutes ago, Sam3773 said:

I want stability over a wham bam thank you Bruce. 

Smith, Dyche and Wagner, while less experienced, strike me as a longer term manager. More of a wife than a quickie behind the VP bike shed. 

The analogy is quite apt considering we've been getting screwed at home for years...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, villarocker said:

He is a medicore manager who will only ever manage bottom half of Premier League at best! 

He should do alright in the Championship then :P

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm really not sure what Villa fans are expecting. There's a touch of unwarranted arrogance about the place. 

Absolutely this.

43 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As I've just demonstrated above he spent 6 years at Blues, 2 at Wigan, 2 and a half at Sunderland and 4 at Hull. He averaged finishes of 13th in the PL and 3rd in the Championship, promoted 4 times. 

I'm really not sure what Villa fans are expecting. There's a touch of unwarranted arrogance about the place. 

Right now Bruce is clearly the best man for the Villa job- he might not be in 2 years time if we are in the premiership but given we are 19th in the championship to get a manager in who has had so much success in this league and also the premiership would be fantastic! It might not be a fashionable appointment but frankly all any villa fan should care about is winning games regularly in this league - Bruce has done that at all his clubs! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Roy Hodgson be a brilliant choice of manager and a lot better than Steve **** Bruce. he has actually had success in his career at least

the highlight of Steve Bruce managerial career was Peter Enckelman

Not the four promotions then? :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He spent 11m on Michael Turner at Sunderland.

Just think about that for a second.

He spent loads at Sunderland...Bent came in for 15m when he was there.

He spent a fair bit at Hull.

His career record generally goes...he does well at the start building decent teams for little money then after a good season or two he goes to the owner demanding 30-40m and it all falls apart shortly afterwards.

We spent 10m on veretout

8m on adama, every manager signs some duds

I genuinely believe that this club is not in the position to be appointing continental managers that can change our philosophy.

The moment we are in the Premier League is the moment that we will have the appeal to attract a manager that can change the philosophy of this club, Southampton and Leicester had to sack Adkins and Pearson to reach that next level.

We may have Bruce for two seasons then get someone to build on his foundations. 

Let's be happy that we are about to appoint someone that does not know anything other than promoting teams from the championship.

Let's be happy that we are going to have a system and stick with it.

Steve Bruce will be licking his lips when he gets onto the training ground and actually see's the talent that we have. This squad is a lot better than the Hull side that he got promoted last season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As I've just demonstrated above he spent 6 years at Blues, 2 at Wigan, 2 and a half at Sunderland and 4 at Hull. He averaged finishes of 13th in the PL and 3rd in the Championship, promoted 4 times. 

That last sentence sums up my thoughts reading the forums over the last week or so. What do villa fans think that managers see when they look at us at the moment? 

I'd be pleased with Bruce, he has demonstrated repeatedly he knows how to get out of this division - that has to be our first priority, the longer we are down here the worse our promotion chances get.

• Like 3