Next Villa Manager

Richard

I want us to get back to the premier league as soon as possible and if Bruce, given his credentials, is the most likely to manage it then so be it.  Once we're there, then we can look at who is best for the club long term, whether it's Bruce or someone else.

• Like 3

Although I don't particularly want him, I would understand the appointment of Bruce, he clearly has a pedigree at this level and will no doubt do a good if not excellent job.

However the more I've heard and read about Wagner, the more I'm now thinking if we miss out on him we could be missing out on coup! 

For me he would be the exciting although unknown quantity.

But if it's Bruce then I'm all in too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stargazer said:

I want us to get back to the premier league as soon as possible and if Bruce, given his credentials, is the most likely to manage it then so be it.  Once we're there, then we can look at who is best for the club long term, whether it's Bruce or someone else.

Getting theres one thing, staying theres another. Its understandable why people would question his appointment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

But you do want to go up?

Well yes of course - but I don't want a short term fix that would see us back in the championship  the season after next - which is in my opinion a very real likelihood if Bruce as expected gets the gig!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I genuinely believe that this club is not in the position to be appointing continental managers that can change our philosophy.

The moment we are in the Premier League is the moment that we will have the appeal to attract a manager that can change the philosophy of this club, Southampton and Leicester had to sack Adkins and Pearson to reach that next level.

We may have Bruce for two seasons then get someone to build on his foundations. 

Let's be happy that we are about to appoint someone that does not know anything other than promoting teams from the championship.

Let's be happy that we are going to have a system and stick with it.

Steve Bruce will be licking his lips when he gets onto the training ground and actually see's the talent that we have. This squad is a lot better than the Hull side that he got promoted last season.

Agree with this apart from the bits in bold. These were 2 seperate circumstances, Southampton dos what you stated and went for the better manager. Leicester only got rid of Pearson because of disciplinary reasons

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Steve Bruce finished (from Blues onwards)

Birmingham City

01/02 - Championship - 5th (promoted via playoffs)

02/03 - Premier League - 13th

03/04 - Premier League - 10th

04/05 - Premier League - 13th

05/06 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

06/07 - Championship 2nd (promoted)

Wigan

07/08 - Premier League - 14th (took over in November)

08/09 - Premier League - 11th

Sunderland

09/10 - Premier League - 13th

10/11 - Premier League - 10th

11/12 - Premier League - 16th (sacked in November)

Hull

12/13 - Championship - 2nd (promoted)

13/14 - Premier League - 16th

14/15 - Premier League - 18th (relegated)

15/16 - Championship - 4th (promoted via playoffs)

...................................................................................

Average finishes (finished seasons only);

Premier League - 13.6

Championship - 3.25

Impressive - has never not managed promotion from this league - let's hope he has enough time to sort us out!

31 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Well yes of course - but I don't want a short term fix that would see us back in the championship  the season after next - which is in my opinion a very real likelihood if Bruce as expected gets the gig!

I wouldn't worry about what we do if we get back in the PL just yet if I were you. At least, I'm not. Let's see if we can get back there any time soon first.

The very last thing we want to be doing is rattling around in this division for a decade. A short term fix is absolutely what we need, IMO. 

• Like 2

On 07/10/2016 at 21:21, Midfielder said:

Edit. According to this link

http://www.express.co.uk/pictures/sport/6603/Premier-League-manager-pay-contract-value-sportgalleries/Sean-Dyche-143663

it states that Sean Dyche is paid £420,000 a year. Wow. That works out at 8k a week. They probably have players on 40,000 a week there, not many but some. You'd think the villa job would be more than 8k per week. I mean Jesus we have gabby on 55k per week. 

So yeah I think money could be tempting. That and "the villa project". Candidates know we are looking for a hero manager. That is a draw too, for some. 8k a week for Dyche in the prem, wow.... Anyone know what Rdm was on?

I was thinking about this. You think of the huge expenditure clubs put into even very average players who will probably be no more than squad fillers. 

The manager is probably the single most important piece of the jigsaw,  they really should be higher paid than the top striker even. 

Why aren't the clubs prepared to do this? 

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

The moment we are in the Premier League is the moment that we will have the appeal to attract a manager that can change the philosophy of this club, Southampton and Leicester had to sack Adkins and Pearson to reach that next level.

We may have Bruce for two seasons then get someone to build on his foundations. 

Yes, because Bruce has such a good history of building foundations, look how his teams have done since he left. Adkins and Pearson came into a club that had a "vision" that they had to follow and build upon.Bruce would not come here and let the club help buy players for him, he would not play tactics (if he even plays tactics) that the board set him. Bruce may get us promoted, but when he leaves, we have to start all over again, getting rid of his players etc. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

We need a club philosiphy and base to work from so that we can appoint the suitable manager and buy the suitable players.

what is the average tenure of a PL manager?

what is the average tenure of managers of teams aiming to get out of Ch to PL?

of those who achieve it?

of those who fail?

I dont know (havent researched) but I doubt not many make their 3rd year.

So any 1,2,5,10 year plans are not incorperating 1 manager to see out the whole time. Its a fluctuating curve with the intention of a direction upwards.

IMHO (and I have said this well before RDM was sacked)

we will be hard pushed and very lucky to strike gold with 1 manager who could

1- get rid of the shite players

2- assemble a promotionable 11/18/squad

3- get us promoted (without a relegation to L1 beforehand)

4- establish us in PL

5- Europe

6- CL/PL title

RDM achieved a good chunk of 1

anyone of Bruce, McCarthy, Rowett could do 2 & 3

Howe, Dyche, Wagner may be good bets for 2,3&4 maybe even 5

But if we are at 4 we may have to go for a big fish for 5 & 6.

The important thing is to get a Philosophy up and running and always have Plan B,C & D at the ready.

9 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I've a feeling that we are after an employed manager and are giving them the weekend to decide if they'd want the job. 

I think that might well be the case but I'm not quite sure that Dyche, Wagner or anyone else would have been given or have needed quite that long to make a decision. Their current clubs might however need a little extra financial persuading.  

If it was simply a choice between Bruce and Clarke then we already employ one as our number 2 so would we only need to bring in Bruce as the new boss to have them both unless Bruce wants to bring in his own number 2 and that might possibly be an issue?  

I would guess the choice has been all but made and we are waiting to see if we are left with more than one candidate from outside our own club when the dust settles which I myself hope is sooner rather than later.    

In a perfect world, it would be absolutely wonderful to have a manager that is on the rise and here for the long term. Someone who is ambitious, and wants to impart some form of legacy upon Villa's history.  It creates stability, something Villa and a lot of other clubs have been lacking. Due to the dispensability of managers, it has created an abundance of journeymen who are well aware that job security does not go hand in hand with the profession, and it would be safe for this to describe the overwhelming majority of  managers these days.

We just have to accept the best person available in getting the job done.