Next Villa Manager

Richard

50 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I disagree. I think it's as clear as day that we're an absolute shambles. 

I can't see why any manager who has got something good already going would want to risk it for us. 

I think they are wise to leave us well alone atm.

With the current midfield I could see us in big trouble come Xmas. 

How are we a shambles? The owner, the board, and many of the players that contributed to relegation have now left the club, so any prospective manager should only really judge the club on this season alone. 

So lets do that. We have an owner that backed his manager with record funding for this league, and will presumably continue to do so.  We have 2 of the leagues top strikers, and at least half a dozen players that would walk into most teams in this division. The only reason we sit near the bottom of the league is because RDM was absolutely useless. 

Yes we could do with a couple of midfielders which I'm sure the Dr will fund, but lets not get carried away. We are in a shit postion due to a shit manager, we are not an absolute shambles. 

And as @TRO said, any decent manager worth his salt will be able to see that. If someone would rather stay at Huddersfield or Bristol ahead of Villa its because they haven't got the confidence in their own ability, or balls to deal with the pressure of managing at a big club. 

As Steve Bruce seemingly has both of those things, i will/would welcome his appointment. 

Edited by av1

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It is a shame to realise Steve Bruce is the only saviour on this planet for Aston Villa at this current time and 3/4 fans are all up for it.  :mellow:

A week ago I'd agree with you, but who better is there? Question not aimed at you by the way. 

and those that are better, would have jumped at the chance if they really wanted it. This guy really wants it. I know "wanting it doesn't qualify fully for getting it but I've become very warm to wanting to see how this turns out. He will do no worse than RDM I am positive. 

If he gets it, I am positive he will put tactical structure into our team that has been lacking and soon enough our players will know their arses from their elbows. And put a rocket up their arses when they need it. And they need it. 

Edit-- Dirty boy! that's possibly the filthiest thing I've ever said. Reads back DaleWinton like, that last bit

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why but I've warmed to the idea of Bruce being manager now. Still don't think it's a very exciting/interesting appointment but in the position we're in I don't think there's a more suitable manager for the job. He absolutely knows how to get out of this league and that's the clubs aim right now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, av1 said:

How are we a shambles? The owner, the board, and many of the players that contributed to relegation have now left the club, so any prospective manager should only really judge the club on this season alone.

Like it or not, we are still a shambles in the eyes of the outside world. We have an owner who breezed in promising to make us one of the top 3 clubs in the world, reportedly intervened in the managerial appointment, favouring RDM apparently because he has an MBA, splashed out loads of cash to create a badly unbalanced squad which has massive weaknesses in midfield that will need to be rectified in January, and we are 19th in the championship with 1 win in 11 and the owner's choice of manager ejected after just a few months.

Doesn't look great does it? I can see how some potential managers might want to pause.

• Like 1

If Bruce comes in and we win our next five games. Things will look very different. It is still very difficult but we just need a honeymoon period for a change. If we start with a loss.. I think the players won't be able to turn it around no matter who it is. We need good win against Wolves. Huge game.. shame the new manager has a lot of pressure already. That's why we need experience I guess.

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Like it or not, we are still a shambles in the eyes of the outside world. We have an owner who breezed in promising to make us one of the top 3 clubs in the world, reportedly intervened in the managerial appointment, favouring RDM apparently because he has an MBA, splashed out loads of cash to create a badly unbalanced squad which has massive weaknesses in midfield that will need to be rectified in January, and we are 19th in the championship with 1 win in 11 and the owner's choice of manager ejected after just a few months.

Doesn't look great does it? I can see how some potential managers might want to pause.

i cop a level of piss take from fans of other clubs, especially Bristol city fans, that I have never experienced before. Not only do they love our recent demise but don't see us as big boys anymore and that were possibly facing a fate like wolves etc. It's my own fault for having a tacky villa registration but since August I have had "you're shit" shouted at me from passing drivers , and I don't even live in brum. So the average joe off the street even thinks we're in some ways a laughing stock as until this year that's never ever happened to me. Not once  

i have to go to Bristol twice a month for meetings and I dread it at the moment. I came back to my car a month ago and it had been egged. Bloody egged in a public car park. Just because I have something villa identifying on me car. No different to a scarf or back window villa badge... And not just Bristol city fans either. My mates from the north west laugh at us like we're never going back up. 

So yes, some people are really loving our fall from grace and getting cocky with it. Especially with Leeds / Cellino references. Or stuff similar. Idiots. 

I'm not much embarrassed by villa, form is temporary, class is permanent , as the phrase goes. 

Edited by Midfielder

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I disagree. I think it's as clear as day that we're an absolute shambles. 

I can't see why any manager who has got something good already going would want to risk it for us. 

I think they are wise to leave us well alone atm.

With the current midfield I could see us in big trouble come Xmas. 

If Villa do sign the right manager and we go on a run and gain promotion.....can you realistically see Huddersfield,Bristol City,Brighton and the likes competing with us for player funds?

We are only in the doldrums because the successive managers have not got us out.....We had an opportunity to fix the midfield.....poor judgment again, thinking we was ok presumably.

The shambles as you describe it , is many factors that have derived from the same source.....fix that and fix the shambles.

We are just a massive opportunity waiting to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

We have an owner who breezed in promising to make us one of the top 3 clubs in the world, reportedly intervened in the managerial appointment, favouring RDM apparently because he has an MBA, 

He brought the club he gets to choose who manages it, i don't see any problem with that. 

splashed out loads of cash to create a badly unbalanced squad which has massive weaknesses in midfield that will need to be rectified in January.

Splashing loads of cash would appeal to most managers. The squad being unbalanced is the sole responsibility of the manager who didn't use that backing wisely.

we are 19th in the championship with 1 win in 11 and the owner's choice of manager ejected after just a few months.

So the only way is up?

The Chairman realised his appointment wasn't working and acted on it, again i see no problem with that. 

Great? Maybe not, but it certainly isn't as bad as some are making out. And i still maintain that if guys from Bristol, Huddersfield, and Birmingham bloody city have to think twice about wanting to manage Aston Villa then they don't deserve to be here. 

Edited by av1

19 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

So yes, some people are really loving our fall from grace and getting cocky with it. Especially with Leeds / Cellino references. Or stuff similar. Idiots. 

Some perspective manages might draw parallels with leeds.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

We are just a massive opportunity waiting to happen.

The better managers will see this. 

Dont pay too much attention to Bruce team line ups usually... just had a look at the play off match and how he started that game.

Hull line up as expected.

Steve Bruce picks his tried and tested 4-5-1 with Hernandez alone up top.

With Huddlestone, Livermore and Diame in the middle, the Tigers look strong.

Looks like he used Snodgrass and Elhomandy on the wings/forward roles.. Besides midfield.. we have a better squad than the team he had to get promoted. 

Now.. i dont know about previous clubs.. but it appeared he favoured the 4-5-1 formation. If we look at our squad.. IMO.. all 3 of their midfielders would walk into our line up in midfield. How does he play a 4-5-1 with our current bunch?

----------------------------Steer---------------------------

Bauna--------Elphick----------Chester--------Amavi

--------Westwood----Jedinak----Tshibola------------

Adomah------------------------------------------Ayew

-------------------Kodjia/McCormack-----------------

We look a bit more balanced.. but still no room for Grealish or one of McCormack/Kodjia or Gestede

Goes to show our buying in the off season was so unbalanced. We bought 1 striker too many and not enough central midfielders. 

Be interesting to see if he changes his teams based on who he has or if he just tries to pigeon hole players into a system he favours. 

34 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

My applogies i couldn't get rid of these don't know what else to do but post....

Was this in regards to Ange? I am genuinely interested in your view.

5 hours ago, av1 said:

He brought the club he gets to choose who manages it, i don't see any problem with that. 

Splashing loads of cash would appeal to most managers. The squad being unbalanced is the sole responsibility of the manager who didn't use that backing wisely.

So the only way is up?

The Chairman realised his appointment wasn't working and acted on it, again i see no problem with that. 

Great? Maybe not, but it certainly isn't as bad as some are making out. And i still maintain that if guys from Bristol, Huddersfield, and Birmingham bloody city have to think twice about wanting to manage Aston Villa then they don't deserve to be here. 

*Bought

He hasn't taken the club anywhere yet!

On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 05:24, AJ said:

On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 05:24, AJ said:

16 minutes ago, AJ said:

Was this in regards to Ange? I am genuinely interested in your view.

They're still there aaaggghh go away old posts 

Did you mean my opinion on Ange for Villa manager?