Next Villa Manager

Richard

33 minutes ago, Zatman said:

work he did at Baggies, Fulham was better than Bruce ever did. Fulham were down when he joined and he kept them up and brought them to a Europa League final

long time ago..... Hes a dinosaur

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steve Bruce coming over very well on "goals onSunday" 

seems ironic that he has been short listed for the England job recently and we are hummin and arhing.

The thing is, England probably restrict themselves to a smaller pool of managers than we do by insisting they have to be English.  As it is, the idea of Bruce taking over is growing on me.  We need to aim for 6th and he seems to be the kind of person who can guide a team through the play offs.  I'm sure it's a case of Bruce or Wagner, and there are just too many obstacles to getting the latter in at the mo.

• Like 1

Any manager could fail, the same as any player, this appointment is about minimising risk and focusing on shorter term goals... personally I think Bruce would bring a lower risk in my eyes, than some other names mentioned.

I would guess that the ownership (Xia et al.) have a similar thought process in terms of the short term goals of our current predicament because sacking RDM at this stage in the season would seem to suggest they aren't willing to write this season off, and would prefer to focus on that shorter term goal of getting promoted. I think if they thought that things weren't so urgent they would've just left RDM to it and see what happened. 

In my eyes, things are urgent. We still have a chance of promotion this year (albeit slim) so we need to push for that. 

• Like 1

The SHA thing should'nt really be an issue anymore, if indeed it is. Bruce is no more a 'blose' man than he will be a 'Villa' man. Its a job to him, nothing more and probably believes the whole package is the best one out there for him.

Is he the best for us? No, but the present situation is what it is. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I hate the fact that it's just generally accepted across the media tha McLeishs Blues stint was held against him by Villa fans en masse. I didn't give a flying .... that he managed them! Neither did any of the Vila fans I knew! It shouldn't even be discussed as a thing in my opinion.

I remember when RDM was first sacked there was an article linking us with Bruce with a headline along the lines of "Villa board risk the wrath of the fans with this appointment". It's absurd - loads of people on here were actually saying we should sack RDM and get Bruce in. We were always against McLeish because he was shit and had just been relegated, not because he managed SHA.

The sha connection is a convenient media sound bite. If it was an issue then a lot of villa fans would not want the current sha manager. I couldn't care less that Bruce managed them eons ago. I care whether I think he is a decent manager and would be good for us. I do not and that's why I do not want him to manage the club

• Like 1

So far I'm only seeing Bruce, Bruce, Bruce in talks and reports for a while now. While seemingly a two horse race a couple of days ago, has it been known who this other fella was/is, and is there any indications that someone else than Bruce is to be appointed very soon?

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

Good luck to him, hope he carves out a career as a pundit 

Blimey, you've really taken against him haven't you? It's very odd. 

I can accept you don't think he's right for Aston Villa, but where does your anger come from generally?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I can guarantee that some posters would take against the new manager whoever it was. It's the way this forum works. That's nothing aimed directly at you Richard, i think your view is usually quite balanced.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Blimey, you've really taken against him haven't you? It's very odd. 

I can accept you don't think he's right for Aston Villa, but where does your anger come from generally?

Not sure where wishing someone well in a career qualifies as anger or taking against him.  Need to be less emotional Dave . I don't think he is right for us and I don't want him to be our manager. You do, simple as that really

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Not sure where wishing someone well in a career qualifies as anger or taking against him.  Need to be less emotional Dave . I don't think he is right for us and I don't want him to be our manager. You do, simple as that really

Your post suggested you hope his management career is over, full stop. It came across incredibly bitter, though I appreciate you probably didn't mean it to. That said, like most you've yet to come up with a valid reason as to why he's not the right manager for us, for right now.

If you want to have yet another dig at my personality, by suggesting yet again that I'm being over emotional, it might best not to respond at all. I doubt anyone wants to hear it. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Really chuffed this is happening. I'd take Alex Bruce as part of the squad too.

Now I know you're joking, he only played 9 games last season, and isn't particularly good.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

In fairness, he's probably more right for us at this stage than Rowett is.

• Like 2

I don't care who the new manager is, just as long as he gets this club moving in the right direction. A lot of the flak Mcleish got, was because he was Blues current manager. Bruce has managed a number of clubs, the Noses being one from the pretty distant past. Does anyone think less of the great Ron Saunders because he crossed the great divide, I would hope not. If therefore we judge  Bruce purely on his record as a manager, then he is by far the best candidate to get us back up. If it is him,I wish him luck. 

• Like 1