Next Villa Manager

Richard

It's highly unlikely that'll we would get the calibre of long term manager in the position we are in. I'd rather get us back to the PL and then get a long term manager in as our calibre of options would then increase dramatically.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Exactly so many deluded people on here. People saying we need long term manager? Why? His many managers these dats last longer than 2-3 years??

im sure RDM and Sherwood were thought to be long term options and both flopped miserably. Both gambles. With Bruce you know what your going to get and that's what we currently need with where we are as a club.

we have been shit for far too long, we are not the club we once were at the moment as sad it is to say. 

Because look at the long term damage having the wrong managers does. We had a bomb squad of McLeish players for years, we've still got Hutton we can't get rid of. The appointment of Tim Sherwood, and letting him do a re-build was basically the nail in the coffin that relegated us. 

Bruce's past of bringing players in is horrendous. He's had the odd hit like Hernandez but even he cost £10.2m from Palermo. His track record of signing his own son (who is not good) is questionable at best. His training methods are exactly forward thinking either. I thought we were trying to evolve as a club.

People seem to want Bruce because he will 'organise' and 'motivate' the team. To me that is the basic, lowest expectations I have of ANY manager. The fact that, there are so many football managers out there that can't do this, is a reflection on the sad state of football coaching. 

I would like us as Aston Villa, not to perpetuate this by holding that as the minimum standard we require from the new boss.

And people saying, yes but promotions, I've been watching this league, the standard of the opposition is absolutely terrible. A manager worth his salt should be picking up wins with our players (look how our loan players have performed in the past in this division, or many we let go that couldn't get in our first team) and as long as we pick up wins, I'll be happy, because promotion will come with results. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyh said:

I don't think any one really 'wants' Bruce.

I think it's that most people are pragmatic enough to realise that he probably the most suited to what the club needs right now.

I disagree with the first sentence . I think there are a lot that actually want him.

in terms of the second sentence I would adjust that and say "most suited to what they think the club needs right now". There is a subtle difference which for me is the real debate of the matter in terms of what the club needs

I think the club needs to be back in the Premier League. As soon as possible and by whatever means possible. 

Maybe some football hipsters want to rattle around in the Championship for a few years building 'something', a squad suited to the Championship presumably, but it's not for me. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

How about his record in English football?

work he did at Baggies, Fulham was better than Bruce ever did. Fulham were down when he joined and he kept them up and brought them to a Europa League final

Bruce is on goals on Sunday on SS1 right now. Said he's spoke to the club, hoping to hear from us this week and it would be a fantastic job at a big club with great support. 

Spoke about Blues, said it's ten years ago so shouldn't matter, not a similar situation to McLeish moving straight from blues to villa. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bradarmstrong_ said:

Bruce is on goals on Sunday on SS1 right now. Said he's spoke to the club, hoping to hear from us this week and it would be a fantastic job at a big club with great support. 

Spoke about Blues, said it's ten years ago so shouldn't matter, not a similar situation to McLeish moving straight from blues to villa. 

You would have thought then if Bruce was Villa's first choice and he does want to come to the club they wouldn't make him wait?

Sounds to me waiting on a decision from someone else first.

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think the club needs to be back in the Premier League. As soon as possible and by whatever means possible. 

Maybe some football hipsters want to rattle around in the Championship for a few years building 'something', a squad suited to the Championship presumably, but it's not for me. 

I haven't got anything  personal against Bruce as a person. I don't care that he played for and managed the Blues. I just worry that he won't hit the ground running as some seem to think and that the fans, because of our past history with him, will give him less time and chants of 'F*** off potato head" will start ringing around the stands. 

I don't really care who they get in. I'll support whoever it is because I want us to be successful, regardless of who brings that our way. I just don't think Bruce is the man but do appreciate that, as you have pointed out many times, he does seem to be a good fit for where we are now. 

We fans will always be divided on who we want as manager but with Bruce it seems that the division is bigger than usual. I just hope that differences will be put to one side and that we can all give him our full support should be appointed manager. The same should go for whoever gets the job. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I haven't got anything  personal against Bruce as a person. I don't care that he played for and managed the Blues. I just worry that he won't hit the ground running as some seem to think and that the fans, because of our past history with him, will give him less time and chants of 'F*** off potato head" will start ringing around the stands. 

I don't really care who they get in. I'll support whoever it is because I want us to be successful, regardless of who brings that our way. I just don't think Bruce is the man but do appreciate that, as you have pointed out many times, he does seem to be a good fit for where we are now. 

We fans will always be divided on who we want as manager but with Bruce it seems that the division is bigger than usual. I just hope that differences will be put to one side and that we can all give him our full support should be appointed manager. The same should go for whoever gets the job. 

I thought the division was bigger with RDM, Pearson and Moyes.

I think this time most of us acknowledge he isn't what we would've wanted but appreciate the fact he has a pedigree at this level and all we really want as fans is to actually start enjoying our football results again, no matter what division we are in, I just want to be in love with football again, I've become so disengaged these last 5/6 years, I just want to Villa to start winning more games then they lose. 

Steve Bruce coming over very well on "goals onSunday" 

seems ironic that he has been short listed for the England job recently and we are hummin and arhing.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Do you think the division is bigger than what it was for Tim Sherwood? Even Remi Garde?

I don't, honestly. I think there are people like yourself with more reservations than others and yes, if things go badly we've a ready made chant. I think there are maybe a handful of morons who care about his past Blues connections, but that the only people mentioning it often at the moment are those who are worried about other fans using it. 

Worrying about what we might do IF a manager fails is defeatest. 

• Like 1