Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

I think he has had to improvise during his spell with us and just had to get on and score the goals.

When the confidence and rapport builds between the 2 we will have a credible, strike partnership.

I think he tends to be a bit selfish, because he has had to.

He had things to improve on, but I like him.

Edited by TRO

12 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

I'm actually amazed it's taken until the 84th page or so for this to become the new Ashley Westwood/scapegoat thread.

I've seen other such responses in the Baker thread and probably others (not by you, I don't think) and I think it's complete twaddle. No one is making him a scapegoat at all. However, he quite clearly has flaws to his game which people are pointing out. Most criticism comes immediately after a game that we have lost again. Football is emotive and therefore people get upset following a result. 

Yes Westwood (and arguably Hutton) have been scapegoats, but Kodjia? I just don't see it.

Edited by mikeyp102

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I've seen other such responses in the Baker thread and probably others (not by you, I don't think) and I think it's complete twaddle. No one is making him a scapegoat at all. However, he quite clearly has flaws to his game which people are pointing out. Most criticism comes immediately after a game that we have lost again. Football is emotive and therefore people get upset following a result. 

Yes Westwood (and arguably Hutton) have been scapegoats, but Kodjia? I just don't see it.

There's a post in this very thread stating that had JK passed to Hogan we would have won comfortably. Now to me thats twaddle and scapegoating mikey, whichever way you look at it.

6 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

There's a post in this very thread stating that had JK passed to Hogan we would have won comfortably. Now to me thats twaddle and scapegoating mikey, whichever way you look at it.

Perhaps mate, but I, and we all have seen, not sure which game it was, where McCormack was WIDE OPEN with almost just a tap in to make, and Kodjia decided to make a wild shot. We drew instead of winning.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

8 hours ago, Hoof hearted said:

We would have been more dangerous if he would have passed to Hogan more, most definitely. His play was poor on the weekend, often broke up our own attacks and was very wasteful. That's not scapegoating at all, it's a perfectly valid opinion backed up by evidence. 

No one is saying he's a bad player, clearly he is a very good athlete, clearly he's a good finisher and his unpredictability can at times work in our favour. But there's so many things he needs to improve on - and these things are pretty much the basics. He appears to have skipped football 101. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Unfortunately I dont think it is an issue of being selfish - in a way that would be better. I think he lacks the vision and technique to spot and deliver passes in key areas. 

It is a skill to do so in the heat of the moment - one that great players make look easy - and I think he sticks to what he knows in those circumstances i.e run and shoot.

Hopefully though it is something that the training staff will try to develop because if he becomes less one dimensional and adds this to his arsenal, that unpredictability will be a nightmare for defenders 

Suffers from the same affliction as Ayew yet Kodjia is viewed more favourably due to his goal scoring. To me Ayew was much more skilful with a better first touch but didn't score enough.

Kodjia needs to improve on his first touch and hold up play because generally I find him a frustrating player to watch with the ball continually bouncing off him to the opposition. It's this first touch in particular that if it doesn't improve will hamper him being a successful forward in the Premiership when Villa get there.

12 hours ago, Upper north stander said:

Whilst I agree the criticism JK gets is at times over the top and some might say embarrassing........

the second paragraph above is embarrassing and way way way over the top!! 

Whilst I agree with you regarding McGrath. I really think he was well ott with his criticism Kodjia. Kodjia showed his class as a human being with his response to Mcgrath's apology.

• Like 1

THe fans that were having a go today are ducking idiots. He passed every time there was something on. TOns of idiots in the holte  shouting 'pass it' as soon as he got the ball, even if there was absolutely no pass on. Pathetic. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I can't believe fans are turning on him. 

Incredible work rate, causes problems and looks dangerous, oh and scores nearly every other game he plays in. 

He's a championship striker, he's not going to be perfect all the time. 

He screws up a lot of our counterattacks with his brainless play, it's an obvious source of frustration, that plus his exorbitant transfer fee will contribute to some getting on his back. 

He's half decent and  has a relatively important role for us, but really, really needs to learn how to play football. There's a call to be made on him at the end of the season, we need someone a bit more clinical in possession, makes faster, better decision with the ball at his feet, if he can't improve this then there's a case to be made that he should go. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

4 minutes ago, blunther said:

THe fans that were having a go today are ducking idiots. He passed every time there was something on. TOns of idiots in the holte  shouting 'pass it' as soon as he got the ball, even if there was absolutely no pass on. Pathetic. 

No he didn't. 

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No he didn't. 

Other than the silly long range effort in the first few minutes he passed when there was a better option, shot when there wasn't. That is why he's our top scorer. For **** sake if you want to get on someone's back there are far better targets. 

• Like 2

He had a strange game and it is clear that he has been told to pass more but he is trying to pass at the wrong times when he should actually be shooting and at times trying to do it all on his own when there is a pass on.

It may just be that it will take a while for him to get used to playing in a two and establish a partnership or it may be that he isn't suited to it.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He had a strange game and it is clear that he has been told to pass more but he is trying to pass at the wrong times when he should actually be shooting and at times trying to do it all on his own when there is a pass on.

It may just be that it will take a while for him to get used to playing in a two and establish a partnership or it may be that he isn't suited to it.

This is it for me. The two of them haven't clicked yet. They will, and when they do they'll be hard to stop. Kodjia is currently out of his comfort zone, but I'd still back him to better learn to fit the system. 

24 minutes ago, blunther said:

Other than the silly long range effort in the first few minutes he passed when there was a better option, shot when there wasn't. That is why he's our top scorer. For **** sake if you want to get on someone's back there are far better targets. 

No. There were numerous times he could have slid the ball forward for Hogan who was running on goal or in the channel. There was one awful shot start of the second half where Hogan had his back to goal and was begging to be hit for a one two. Kodjia obivious. Then there were the countless times Kodjia picked up a ball, could have played the way he was facing but that would have been too simple. 

Sick to death of him. Anyone who thinks he is going to suddenly learn is kidding themselves. Successful teams don't have players with Kodjia's personality and traits.

Â