Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

If you don't have the awareness and presence of mind to play the right pass at the right time, but rather brainlessly opt to shoot from stupid positions at 27 years old, then you are never going to have it. 

Quite often his play and decision making on the ball screws us up royally, slowing down or even breaking up our own attacks. Whilst he's athletically gifted, a good finisher and his unpredictability at times working in our favour he is so badly flawed it's untrue. I wouldn't at all be bothered if he's not here next season, we need smarter, more direct and clinical players up front (like Hogan). There's no chance this guy will ever do it in the premier league but perhaps he could have a place in a weaker top flight European league. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Kodjia frustrated me yesterday but Chester/elphick finish their chances and Johnstone makes a basic save and we're probably all praising him for yet another goal. 

There are flaws to his game, it's why he's in the championship. But he's been key for us this season. 

• Like 4

Without Jimmy Danger's moments of individual brilliance we'd never score. 

His selfishness sometimes leads to bad decisions. But then again, shooting from 30 yards isn't a bad decision if it goes in, or someone nicks a rebound.

I think he and Hogan can be pretty lethal but only if Kodjia plays more as a strike partner than an individual. Otherwise he'll score the odd individual effort in part because Hogan seems to smart runs to take defenders sway.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Last night was the first time he genuinely annoyed me but without his goals we'd be looking at back to back relegations. 

But how many goals would the team have scored without him? I think its to simplistic to think that without Kodjia we would have scored 10 goals less. 

If he passed the ball we could even have 10 goals more. He infuriated McCormack and there were signs last night that he is already infuriating Hogan. Whats the point spending big on Hogan if the bloke he plays with won't pass him the ball? 

I've no doubt that unless kodjia learns to pass to Hogan, he will simply lose his place to him.

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Kodjia frustrated me yesterday but Chester/elphick finish their chances and Johnstone makes a basic save and we're probably all praising him for yet another goal. 

There are flaws to his game, it's why he's in the championship. But he's been key for us this season. 

I don't disagree with that. I think that his ability to create things for himself was key because we had no one that could create for him. 

We potentially now do so that part of his game is not as important to us as it once was, we now need him to buy into the idea of a team. If he can't work within one, he will find himself out.  

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

But how many goals would the team have scored without him? I think its to simplistic to think that without Kodjia we would have scored 10 goals less. 

If he passed the ball we could even have 10 goals more. He infuriated McCormack and there were signs last night that he is already infuriating Hogan. Whats the point spending big on Hogan if the bloke he plays with won't pass him the ball? 

I've no doubt that unless kodjia learns to pass to Hogan, he will simply lose his place to him.

I think him going away to AFCON proved the team wouldn't have done better without him. Before we signed Hogan, Hourihane and Lansbury there wasn't goals in our team at all without Kodjia. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wouldn't you have noticed if a Villa player would have scored 20 league goals by Feb? When was the last time we had a striker do that for us? lol

It said he had scored 10 goals for Bristol this season. I guess I should have realised that he couldn't have done that.

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I think him going away to AFCON proved the team wouldn't have done better without him. Before we signed Hogan, Hourihane and Lansbury there wasn't goals in our team at all without Kodjia. 

I agree, I've covered that in a few posts. The team was so poor that we needed someone like him that could create for himself. My point is that with Hogan, Lansbury, Hourihane etc, that skill set could prove to be more of a handicap than a help. 

9 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't disagree with that. I think that his ability to create things for himself was key because we had no one that could create for him. 

We potentially now do so that part of his game is not as important to us as it once was, we now need him to buy into the idea of a team. If he can't work within one, he will find himself out.  

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It said he had scored 10 goals for Bristol this season. I guess I should have realised that he couldn't have done that.

I've not checked, but could they have meant 20 goals in the calendar year 2016?

36 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree, I've covered that in a few posts. The team was so poor that we needed someone like him that could create for himself. My point is that with Hogan, Lansbury, Hourihane etc, that skill set could prove to be more of a handicap than a help. 

I think you make some good points here, but again, the notion that he might have changed his style of play on a dime - within the 90 minutes of his new partner's debut! - is probably very ambitious. 

You're right with what he needs to do. But as with everything, give it time. 

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If you don't have the awareness and presence of mind to play the right pass at the right time, but rather brainlessly opt to shoot from stupid positions at 27 years old, then you are never going to have it. 

Quite often his play and decision making on the ball screws us up royally, slowing down or even breaking up our own attacks. Whilst he's athletically gifted, a good finisher and his unpredictability at times working in our favour he is so badly flawed it's untrue. I wouldn't at all be bothered if he's not here next season, we need smarter, more direct and clinical players up front (like Hogan). There's no chance this guy will ever do it in the premier league but perhaps he could have a place in a weaker top flight European league. 

Quality post.

That long range shot he hit from about 40 yards was pathetic when hogan has got in a great position ahead of him .

He really needs to pass when players are in better positions rather than go for glory.

cut our the fancy tricks which usually lose possession and become a team player and we will be much better for it .

Edited by Eastie

Â