Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, rodders0223 said:

No. There were numerous times he could have slid the ball forward for Hogan who was running on goal or in the channel. There was one awful shot start of the second half where Hogan had his back to goal and was begging to be hit for a one two. Kodjia obivious. Then there were the countless times Kodjia picked up a ball, could have played the way he was facing but that would have been too simple. 

Sick to death of him. Anyone who thinks he is going to suddenly learn is kidding themselves. Successful teams don't have players with Kodjia's personality and traits.

Sick to death of him?

**** joke. 

It's as if someone has pointed out he doesn't pass too much, and then the whole of the holte today are shouting pass every time he got the ball.

if I were an Ipswich defender today, Kodija would be my only worry.  Maybe Lansburys passes as well from deep. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

there's a case to be made that he should go. 

Go where exactly? We paid £15m for him. How many championship clubs could even afford to offer ten for him in the summer? He's here for the foreseeable future so we all need to get used to his faults. He'll still get 15 goals this season and if we were good enough to be a playoff team then he'd probably get 20. Those goals are what we paid for. So far he seems to be the only player we have who can score on a semi regular basis. Without his goals we would be close(r) to the relegation one. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He attempted 22 passes today. Bjarnason, an attacking midfield player attempted 24. 

Calling him greedy is so wrong today. 

Don't get your logic here, a midfielder you say did sod all, but played more passes than this player? Additionally it's about where the passes are played, I saw Kodjia make one incisive forward pass to Bjarnasson infact, he almost seems to deliberately ignore Hogans runs.

Edited by Mammoth10

2 minutes ago, Mammoth10 said:

Don't get your logic here, a midfielder you say did sod all, but played more passes than this player? Additionally it's about where the passes are played, I saw Kodjia make one incisive forward pass to Bjarnasson infact, he almost seems to deliberately ignore Hogans runs.

I think he was off the pace but I wouldn't call bjarnason greedy and neither would I say the same about kodjia today. 

Kodjia is not meant to be our creative force. He's a goal scorer. I don't know why he seems to be getting so much stick. One game where he didn't pass a few times and now he's getting hammered because he's not sliding perfect through balls all game. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I think he was off the pace but I wouldn't call bjarnason greedy and neither would I say the same about kodjia today. 

Kodjia is not meant to be our creative force. He's a goal scorer. I don't know why he seems to be getting so much stick. One game where he didn't pass a few times and now he's getting hammered because he's not sliding perfect through balls all game. 

I appreciate that, I'm not hammering Kodjia, top scorer and mainly due to his own ability given how toothless we've been upfront most of the season, I do believe that he's a very naive (can seem selfish) player, depends on your take, but now he has support up top he needs to improve and adapt his game for me because I think Hogan is certainly a better footballer and even at 27 it's not too late for Kodjia to learn to become more of a team player, if he doesn't adapt then call me fickle but he can do one, I genuinely think Hogan and McCormack wouldbe a better team fit.....

Just now, Mammoth10 said:

I appreciate that, I'm not hammering Kodjia, top scorer and mainly due to his own ability given how toothless we've been upfront most of the season, I do believe that he's a very naive (can seem selfish) player, depends on your take, but now he has support up top he needs to improve and adapt his game for me because I think Hogan is certainly a better footballer and even at 27 it's not too late for Kodjia to learn to become more of a team player, if he doesn't adapt then call me fickle but he can do one, I genuinely think Hogan and McCormack wouldbe a better team fit.....

There are times he could pass quicker but it's part of his game. He's a danger because nearly every time he gets the ball he wants to be positive and drive at goal and take people on. 

Against forest there were times he really should have passed. I don't think there were many of those today at all. 

Hogan relies on service and we have him none. Kodjia gets himself involved in the game and gets on the ball, working hard to find space. 

I really think he's on the only few players who doesnt deserve much criticism this season. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

There are times he could pass quicker but it's part of his game. He's a danger because nearly every time he gets the ball he wants to be positive and drive at goal and take people on. 

Against forest there were times he really should have passed. I don't think there were many of those today at all. 

Hogan relies on service and we have him none. Kodjia gets himself involved in the game and gets on the ball, working hard to find space. 

I really think he's on the only few players who doesnt deserve much criticism this season. 

I see part of that very differently, a lot of the time he gets hold of the ball, he's nowhere near goal, and certainly doesn't look to head for/drive towards goal every time, in fact much of this time he'll beat a man or two with a trick but end up going backwards, often taking the momentum out of our play. Like I say can't knock his goals because god knows where we'd be without them but he very often causes any forward momentum to break down.

if he was all that influential then he'd have 21 goals like the replacement of his at BristolCity has.

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He attempted 22 passes today. Bjarnason, an attacking midfield player attempted 24. 

Calling him greedy is so wrong today. 

Yep, I don't think he was greedy at all. In fact, if anything, I think he looked to pass too often, or at least at the wrong time. 

This is why I'm not criticising them yet. They just haven't clicked, but I really do believe it will happen in time. 

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

No. There were numerous times he could have slid the ball forward for Hogan who was running on goal or in the channel. There was one awful shot start of the second half where Hogan had his back to goal and was begging to be hit for a one two. Kodjia obivious. Then there were the countless times Kodjia picked up a ball, could have played the way he was facing but that would have been too simple. 

Sick to death of him. Anyone who thinks he is going to suddenly learn is kidding themselves. Successful teams don't have players with Kodjia's personality and traits.

Respectfully, absolute horseshit mate. Best player we've had for five years, seems a nice bloke and seems to respect the club, and we get on his back. 

He really doesn't want to pass the ball. It's not that he doesn't see players making runs, he just won't until he absolutely has to, then he'll do so reluctantly. 

Like the last touch of the first half, what the **** was that? Trying some ridiculous skill and losing the  all rather than playing games it to Taylor to cross it. 

We can't drop him because he's our best player, but that still doesn't mean he isn't infuriating half the time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yep, I don't think he was greedy at all. In fact, if anything, I think he looked to pass too often, or at least at the wrong time. 

This is why I'm not criticising them yet. They just haven't clicked, but I really do believe it will happen in time. 

He rarely plays the pass at the right time, hold on too long, takes too many touches, by then the opportunity has gone and he plays the simpler ball, that's the issue.

10 hours ago, blunther said:

Respectfully, absolute horseshit mate. Best player we've had for five years, seems a nice bloke and seems to respect the club, and we get on his back. 

No it is not horseshit at all. Watch the game. Watch Hogan running and getting nothing. Watch thr fullbacks come up to support him and get nothing. Watch how many times he loses the ball when we could just recycle the play. Watch how many times he takes a shot when he could easily play someone in and get it back. We don't score goals and we don't create chances from open play because we don't move the **** ball in the final third. It is so easy to defend against.

I don't think this new formation suits him. Think we need to look at 4-3-2-1 again as he was lethal under that. 

Altbough I do recognise we might need time for the formation to settle.

Edited by DK82

37 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He rarely plays the pass at the right time, hold on too long, takes too many touches, by then the opportunity has gone and he plays the simpler ball, that's the issue.

I don't think that's the only issue though. I mean, I agree that's part of the problem. But I don't think the movement was good from Hogan, particularly: I counted several times when Kodjia was clearly shaping to pass when Hogan's run had taken him behind a defender. And in addition, no midfielders gambled to make a forward run. Surely this 3-5-2 formation only works if Hourihane and Bjarnason are constantly bursting past the forwards when they receive the ball? If Hogan is Kodjia's only option, apart from shooting, when he gets the ball, then it is going to be very easy to defend against. 

Â