Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Kodjia will never be a top player. His lack of team player ability makes him just a top championship player. He would flop massively in premier league. We paid too much for him. No chance is he worth 15m. People laughed when I suggested gayle and who is laughing now it certainly isn't us.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A genuine liability in the second half. Utter rubbish tonight.

Thee bloke shouldn't be starting imo. I lost count of the number times he lost the ball again last night. 

He clearly isn't a winger, we saw when Adomah came on that he is a much more effective winger than a Kodjia. And his selfish attitude means that he will never work in a front 2. So the only real option is to play him as lone striker, and in Scott Hogan we have (injury aside) someone who is much better (i know he hasn't scored yet but you can see from his movement that he is in a different class to Kodjia).

I saw a few people in last nights match thread point to the fact that we looked toothless without him in January, but i think that the circumstances were completely different. As we often bypassed the midfield we needed an erratic player like kodjia to try and create for himself, but now we have a couple of players that can pass a ball, those attributes do more harm than good. He should be nothing more than an impact player from the bench imo. 

He was quite literally the only attacking threat we had last night , I saw him pass backwards plenty of times as he had zero going on in front of him.He does need to improve his team play but there are bigger issues than him at moment - the one paced midfield - the lack of runs from midfield - Bruce Negative tactics - the useless defence 

• Like 2

He's also too predictable playing out wide cutting on the inside and rarely trying to go on the outside of the defender. Every time he got the ball last night the Newcastle defence knew what he was going to do.

For me doesn't hold the ball up well enough either.

Edited by striker

Only threat we had last night. Often he was so deep it was impossible for him to link up with Hogan. That's the system not Kodjias fault. Only player I really rate at Villa or the only one playing anywhere near his capability.

Needs to be playing striker or on the bench. Our problem is we are forcing players onto the pitch when there are better options. 

Kodjia at striker is one of the best in the league, but at wing he is much worse than Green, Grealish, Birkir, Adomah, etc. 

I get that Bruce wants our best players on the pitch, but either play a formation that gets them in their natural spots, or bench some of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He has to start, because as frustrating as he is, we don't create anything, so the only way we score is if something Kodjia tries comes off.

But simultaneously, he's one of the reasons we don't create anything, because he doesn't bring anyone else into the game, out wide or not.

he's incredibly frustrating!

I thought he looked totally bored and disinterested last night - in his defence I personally do not like to see him wide and maybe this could be part of the reason why?? If Hogan's injury is as bad as we fear then he will be back down the middle for sure- I also agree with another post that he's not worth the money we spent on him - but neither can you imagine a villa team without him being in it right now.

Â