Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

he looks quick, strong and willing to run defenders around, which is exactly what we need up top to open things up for Ayew, Grealish and Mccormack, particularly when teams are going to try and sit back and stay compact against us. 

4th top goalscorer in the championship last season with 19 goals, in a team that only scored 54 total and finished 18th in the table is also very good.

18 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'm personally enjoying the club spending the money and having one of the biggest budget in the league.

I'm all for spending money but the quality of players we have signed for the money has been poor IMO. 

1 minute ago, jim said:

I'm all for spending money but the quality of players we have signed for the money has been poor IMO. 

I'm not sure what sort of players you expect in the Championship but I'm not sure we could realistically have done much better.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The money adds pressure that's for sure, but there's pressure anyway. Look what happened last season, we need to bounce back. But for me, adding extra pressure isn't going to help. We all know wins ease pressure but I try to look at our progress positively. It might all go wrong, sure. But it feels better to be optimistic. If we're the same as we are now come February, way off the play offs, then I'll be moaning too. But for now, it's too early to judge. Give them a month and we should have a clearer idea. 

There really was no alternative to spending big money, such was the mess left behind. Big money at our level does not guarantee success, having said that I do not know what other route they could take.

We do need a bit of luck too and I think with the bucks spent we deserve it.

It is a bit like you're buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andym said:

he looks quick, strong and willing to run defenders around, which is exactly what we need up top to open things up for Ayew, Grealish and Mccormack, particularly when teams are going to try and sit back and stay compact against us. 

4th top goalscorer in the championship last season with 19 goals, in a team that only scored 54 total and finished 18th in the table is also very good.

This.. I think Bristol will miss him when they realise just how many goals he was contributing.

Their claims that he was inconsistent I don't know how many 1 in 2 strikers they have had, but you don't get much better than that at this level. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

There really was no alternative to spending big money, such was the mess left behind. Big money at our level does not guarantee success, having said that I do not know what other route they could take.

We do need a bit of luck too and I think with the bucks spent we deserve it.

It is a bit like you're buggered if you do and buggered if you don't.

Indeed.

We should be thankful they went the way they did, whether it works or not, since the alternatives were what, exactly ?

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I really really have absolutely no idea what that means.

Even for a perennially critical chap that exceeds what I thought possible.

Apart from the obvious fact that it means nothing - (we 'cant allow' them time ?  What will we do if it doesn't work ? Shoot them all ?) , are you really really suggesting that just because £X has been spent instead of £Y something immediate has to happen ?  You really think assembling a football team and getting it to produce results is merely a product of how much over a certain amount you have spent ? 

No, you don't really think that, I'm sure you don't.

I think you mean if it doesn't work straight away you will have a jolly good moan.

I'm simply saying that the money spent has massively raised expectations to the point where we should now run away with the league. Now I don't think the players we've bought are anywhere near good enough and unless we start getting a grip against the shower of site teams we are currently playing then we are going to be adrift and unable to achieve expectations.

A loss to 95% of this league has now become completely unacceptable imo. And I just know that this team will lose plenty. 

On the money spent just take a step back for a minute or two.

Last season we had the worst squad in our history and one of the worst in the history of the top division in this country and I have worded it that way as I am talking more than premier league

I think the vast majority agree with that

A lot of us said that we didnt want the majority of those to play for us again and wanted them all out,  apart from one or two.

Not sure what to expect then as if you get rid of a squad you need to get a few players in unless you plan to forfeit each game 3-0. Once you are on that path then getting a whole new team in,  in a competitive division and a team that people  9including the management) want to challenge for promotion is going to cost a fair bit. We have signed 8 players at a cost of around 50M that is just over 6M per player for a squad to come together and challenge for promotion.  It is going to sound obscene but I'm afraid getting that team together for challenging in this division 50M is about the least you'd expect.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dean said:

Id agree. but I still think 11M is good business from a city point of view, although if he scores the goals which get you promoted the 11m wont seem like much in the big pucture

Totally agree, I think it's fair. Only time will tell whether it was worth it for villa

Â