Jonathan Kodjia

dont_do_it_doug.

Our strike force's championship record:

Kodjia - 0.4 goals per 90mins, 0.1 assists per 90mins (18 goals, 4 assists)

Gestede - 0.6 goals per 90mins, 0.2 assists per 90mins (41 goals, 14 assists)

McCormack - 0.4 goals per 90mins, 0.2 assists per 90mins (117 goals, 57 assists)

Basically, three forwards scoring around 1-in-2 at this level. Not many teams have that.

One of his goals for his old French club where he cuts in from the right and side and then dinks it over the keeper with the outside of his right foot, is one of the best goals I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

One of his goals for his old French club where he cuts in from the right and side and then dinks it over the keeper with the outside of his right foot, is one of the best goals I've ever seen.

Very low standard of opposition though in this video. Like league 2. 

• Like 1

It is always a massive risk signing a player for big money after one breakout season, especially when they are in the latter half of their 20s. 

On the other hand he is a type of player we lacked, a pacy direct forward is someone we have been crying out for.

Lets hope he tears it up for us!

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Surprised we have spent £20m on him though - especially with it rising to £25m based on appearances.

His wages of 130 k per week are frankly ludicrous and could see us in administration before long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Surprised we have spent £20m on him though - especially with it rising to £25m based on appearances.

I agree it seems a high figure.  Problem being is that this is the way football is going (and has been) for a long time.  We need to spend and we need to spend on quality.  If he scores the goals needed to get us back up then that will be money well spent.  Assuming he gets the right chances of course.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Just to play devil's advocate here, he didn't promise a world class striker, but did say he we were working hard to bring in a world class striker (to which I assume he was referring to Hernandez).

This obviously came pretty close but couldn't get the deal over the line, so we've brought in a replacement from the short-list. I doubt anyone is expecting another striker, world class or not, to come in now.

Exactly, he has said all along the World Class player (Hernandez or not) has been a hard negotiating process. That alone means it was never guaranteed and could quite possibly fail.

Scott Sinclair went for £5m, Ciaran Clark went for £5.1, we get Kodjia for £11m. Same old Villa, having to sell to buy.

:trollface:

20 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

His wages of 130 k per week are frankly ludicrous and could see us in administration before long.

What on earth are you two on about....? :huh:

6 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Exactly, he has said all along the World Class player (Hernandez or not) has been a hard negotiating process. That alone means it was never guaranteed and could quite possibly fail.

But we wouldn't go for a world class payer, fail, bring in a Bristol City striker instead and put him on world class wages would we? Or is that we have done?

11 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37220214

Yes from me based on the very little I have seen and the few bits I have heard. Pacey, strong, scores goals. 19 Championship goals last season. 

Get him in and be done with it!

Glad that it's confirmed. We needed a player with ambition to get us out of the championship and who can assist. Perfect sort of player we needed. Can assist Ross mccormack and is fast enough to beat the man and finish. Great signing from Di Matteo. He is one hell of a player and is a first team player. This signing could be the thing that gets us out of the championship.

19 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

No. 

We went for Hernandez, failed and went for somebody else. We signed him. 

Of the 4 top scorers in the Championship 2 now play in the Premier League. The other 2 now play for Aston Villa. 

Be happy man. 

I'm not UNhappy, but I did genuinely get excited at the thought of a world class striker coming in and I did honestly believe he would pull it off. You'd surely agree that it's quite a jump from a wold class striker to Jonathan Kodija. 

I'm not sure why Abel Hernandez is being mentioned anyway, what has he got to do with the world class striker? Unless he is meant to be world class which if true, is absolutely mental.

Anyway, welcome Jonathan. Here's hoping.

Â