Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We're in the championship.

You don't get many midfielders who can do everything.

FWIW I think Jedinak would work in a midfield 2 as well if he wasn't playing alongside absolute shite.

Think of it the other way. If we had two midfielders who were brilliant at passing but couldn't tackle or intercept to save their lives and were playing in a midfield two together, our defence would get overrun constantly and we'd be sat here saying about one of them "bloody hell Joe Bloggs can't tackle to save his life, he's shit!"
If you stuck Jedinak alongside him to do the dirty work and left him to do the passing then it would work.

Currently we have a Defensive midfielder, and then Tshibola/Westwood/Gardner/Bacuna who all do **** all.

This isn't some massive defence of jedinak. He still has poor games. He was poor on Saturday. My point is more of a bigger picture. Jedinak IS good enough to be playing for us at this level. But he's not going to become an amazing passer getting 20 assists over night. That's not his game. We need somebody else to do that job and we have literally nobody who can do it.

I think he is well past being able to play in a two, at any level.

• Like 1

From Fox Sports down here (likely regurgitated from one of the English papers):

Roo Radar: Mile Jedinak trapped in poor Villa midfield

SOCCEROOS captain Mile Jedinak was brought in to help Aston Villa make a swift return to the Premier League.

That looks highly unlikely - he’s caught in the ugly mess that is the Villa midfield.

JEDINAK AT THE HEART OF FAILING VILLA MIDFIELD

Mile Jedinak took time to settle at Aston Villa but after a matter of weeks, cemented himself as a core cog in its midfield engine room.

Yet now Villa has stumbled somewhat, with its midfield among the key issues identified for its struggles.

Jedinak’s side has lost four of its past seven games, with a 1-0 loss to Wolves capping off that run. Villa is now 13th in the Championship, 10 points adrift of the playoff positions and 19 back from the automatic promotion spots.

Gregg Evans from the Birmingham Mail said there was still a “losing mentality” at the club, which was relegated from the Premier League last season.

In his analysis, Evans mentioned Jedinak as one of the players who could help turn things around.

“Mile Jedinak has mastered the art of marshalling a midfield if he has enough support alongside him,” he wrote.

But fellow Mail writer Steve Wollaston said the Australian was being brought down to the level of underperforming teammates as he unleashed on the “pedestrian” Villa midfield.

“The midfield department needs re-energising, it needs players who will tear around the pitch, closing players down and moving the ball quickly,” Wollaston wrote.

“Pedestrian is the best word to describe how Villa looked against Wolves. They didn’t work hard enough, they didn’t get stuck in where it matters, in the heart of the midfield.

“Aaron Tshibola was anonymous, Mile Jedinak was laboured and perhaps trying too hard to plug too many gaps in a failing department.

“And then there is Leandro Bacuna ... he isn’t even a central midfielder, let alone a good one.”

While Jedinak can always be relied upon to work hard and screen his defence, it appears the support isn’t quite there for him at the moment.

After a seven game run after replacing Roberto di Matteo, manager Steve Bruce admitted: “If there’s been a failing, we’ve just bought and bought and bought.

“It’s just piled and piled and piled and that has not improved.

“But we are a big scalp. Everyone wants to beat us in this division. I have to be 100% right that the people who we are bringing to the club can handle playing for Aston Villa.”

The seasoned manager admits a return to where Villa fans want to be - the Premier League - is a way off if the players don’t get honest with themselves.

“We’re never going to give it up,” said Bruce after the weekend loss.

“We will keep working away to find the formula and eventually get a team which can mount that challenge. But, at the moment, we’re short. The sheer lack of ability to do the basics at Molineux was not good enough. It epitomised everything I’m not.”

The reality remains, however, that Villa are still a massive club in English football. It’s a challenge for Jedinak to relish spearheading, alongside Bruce.

“We’ve had little shoots of recovery since I’ve been at the club,” he said. “We’re third or fourth in the form table.

“We have to be able to mount a challenge and try and get back there. I’ll do everything I possibly can. I’ve waited 20 years for an opportunity like this.”

Just don’t mention an unfathomable relegation battle.

He told the Birmingham Mail: “No (we’re not in a relegation battle). Well you can never say never in the Championship.

“When I arrived we were in a relegation fight because we were in the bottom three.

“I’m not concerned about that. We’ve got to be a club of our stature and look at what we’re trying to achieve at the other end of the table.

“I never give up on that [promotion]. It’s a huge, big ask because we’ve drifted away in the last few weeks.”

• Like 1

Played in a three he's generally done well and on occasions been fantastic. Played in a 442 he's generally been abysmal because he's been required to you know pass and control the ball which are skills far beyond him even at this stage of his career. 

The true conundrum is how you get him and McCormak in the same team. I think Bruce is trying to give RMC a go because we lack creativity/goals but he can't play up top on his own at all so he has to be part of a two which in turn weakens the midfield. Rinse and repeat. 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 21:43, bobzy said:

I don't get it. Because someone else lost the ball, Jedinak should do nothing?

so every time we lose the ball, Jedinak or whoever plays that role should win it back?

the fact is, we are toothless with the ball and don't create merely enough chances which Jedinak is a big part of the problem

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I want to rate him. But I don't.

He hasn't got enough to his game. He isn't a bad player, we could just do a lot better.

we could use that last statement about the majority of the team to be honest

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skills said:

we could use that last statement about the majority of the team to be honest

True dat, cuz.

It's actually frustrating how poor we are across so many positions. We are absolutely the sum of our parts in that each player can do one thing well, but nothing else. 

On 16 January 2017 at 22:36, Risso said:

I don't think he is.  His legs are gone, and he's so slow and caught out of position so often that his major strength is now severely inhibited.  Look at that video link for the Wolves goal that somebody posted, he's just ambling about.

Still, great beard.

You are absolutely right about him being slow, but I'd argue the 'caught out of position' issue is often a result of one man trying to plug too many gaps. The video is a fair cop on that front, but I also posted one a few pages back that showed a lot of the good work he does for us and how capable he can be. 

There are times he's scary to watch, I cringe when he goes towards a throw taker, becuase he invariably fails to manage the simple return pass. But there are other times when he's absolute class, dominates in the air and plays some really good forward passes, you wouldn't think he'd be capable of. 

Stick some mobility and ability next to him and we'll have a quality midfield. 

16 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

You are absolutely right about him being slow, but I'd argue the 'caught out of position' issue is often a result of one man trying to plug too many gaps. The video is a fair cop on that front, but I also posted one a few pages back that showed a lot of the good work he does for us and how capable he can be. 

There are times he's scary to watch, I cringe when he goes towards a throw taker, becuase he invariably fails to manage the simple return pass. But there are other times when he's absolute class, dominates in the air and plays some really good forward passes, you wouldn't think he'd be capable of. 

Stick some mobility and ability next to him and we'll have a quality midfield. 

It's interesting this because, apparently, whilst at Palace during the 2015/16 season he was the player that covered the most distance for them. :o 

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's interesting this because, apparently, whilst at Palace during the 2015/16 season he was the player that covered the most distance for them. :o 

Is that counting the frequent flyer miles he got from going to and fro the Australia international games? :D

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Yeah, I saw that. Tweet said sorry avfc legs have gone or something like that.

Nothing we haven't worked out already though right?

The thing is I am not so sure about that. When you have a midfield consisting of you and gardwood makes your job much much more difficult

I will judge when he has more quality alongside him in the centre of the park 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is I am not so sure about that. When you have a midfield consisting of you and gardwood makes your job much much more difficult

I will judge when he has more quality alongside him in the centre of the park 

Yeah, if you were inclined to study this thread I'm probably one of his biggest cheerleaders. I like what he brings to the table even if he is less mobile than he was a couple of years ago. But I'd say Jordan's not wrong. We were just so bad as he can walk (ho-ho) into our midfield.

7 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Simon Jordan is a word removed.

he might be but he is actually right if I am honest

he is also right about WBA :P

He sensationally labelled West Bromwich Albion a ‘horrid club with horrid fans’ in an explosive Twitter rant recently.

Jordan’s full opinion on Albion was as follows: “Horrid club with horrid fans, sorry hated going there and it was not like we did not get points #wba because we did.

Â