Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Last I heard we were hopeful he will be fit for forest.

Heard that too.

Really need him back. Performances aside sometimes the positioning of a player is mightily important. If he'd have played in the last game his natural drop would have allowed other players to come forward and perhaps win a clearance or help the attack. 
Plus with his experience there's no way the middle would've been so flat.

He's had some dodgy performances but he's a defensive player who was trying to start attacks. I think it all got a bit much for him so I'm bloody delighted we got him some attacking support.
How many years have we gone without a hard tackling defensive midfielder? Lets not write this one off already.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Really need him back. Performances aside sometimes the positioning of a player is mightily important. If he'd have played in the last game his natural drop would have allowed other players to come forward and perhaps win a clearance or help the attack. 
Plus with his experience there's no way the middle would've been so flat.

Agreed. I think it was Wigan at home where we controlled the game for the most part, but every time they won the ball and tried to counter, he was in the right position and in their faces and helped us keep piling the pressure on.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

Jedinak is one of those players who, is not noticed until he has gone.

He is crucial to us.

His legs have gone ...sure

His passing is a bit iffy....sure

He is slow.....sure

But he takes the pressure off so many of our players, negates the oppositions threats, particularly aerially and instills composure in the 2 centres.

He is strong and has presence.

When fit, he will allow Lansbury and Hourihane to raid and support the strikers and not have worry about the defensive duties so much.

He is our ( in Ron Atkinsons words) INSURANCE MAN

Agree with all of that. Had a ropey few games but his positioning is always top drawer. 

When the team is playing well then he, as you say, acts as that extra insurance. Just somebody give him a simple **** out ball, please. 

• Like 1

Ha @TRO, so true.

Plus we have to be realistic. Back in the day we had players who could defend and attack which allow us to control games more efficiently; fans and the clubs expectations didn't change when we went mid-table.
Now we have to have players for positions because the market, our league position and perhaps even the scouting/development system isn't giving us players who are talented enough to do both. 

It's not a wholly negative thing, it's the football experience for 95% of clubs and we have to accept we're not the team we once were.

• Like 1

McCann

Boeteng

Barry

Petrov

Hockey (only joking)

Players underestimated in their true value to the team

Side note: Had Barry not been part of a solid back 3, I wonder if had he been deployed as a Deep lying MF for his whole Villa career, I bet he wouldnt have been so appreciated as a top player for us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Ha @TRO, so true.

Plus we have to be realistic. Back in the day we had players who could defend and attack which allow us to control games more efficiently; fans and the clubs expectations didn't change when we went mid-table.
Now we have to have players for positions because the market, our league position and perhaps even the scouting/development system isn't giving us players who are talented enough to do both. 

It's not a wholly negative thing, it's the football experience for 95% of clubs and we have to accept we're not the team we once were.

No we are not the "team" we once were.....but the "club" I think is much better.

Inevitably the world changes.....but interestingly some things like principles rarely change......and I think it is equally important to recognise that.

Back to the play

We will turn this corner, that I am sure of and I believe with this manager too, because I think he understands the problem, but is working on a fix, they may take longer than we have patience for.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

Ha @TRO, so true.

you are right.

8 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

McCann

Boeteng

Barry

Petrov

Hockey (only joking)

Players underestimated in their true value to the team

Side note: Had Barry not been part of a solid back 3, I wonder if had he been deployed as a Deep lying MF for his whole Villa career, I bet he wouldnt have been so appreciated as a top player for us.

Agreed, Trevor was not subject to widespread underestimation. He had been a decent player and he joined us late in his footballing career but gave us what he could and that was 100% effort. He also frightened opponents!:)

I have to say that I don't think that Barry's value to us was ever underestimated but the rest of those that you have mentioned along with the likes of Frank Carrodus and Des Bremner were. 

11 hours ago, lexicon said:

Bad news. Definitely need someone in that role though - or go for 3 CBs maybe.

Didn't Hourihane have better interception stats than Jedanick anyway? 

29 minutes ago, John said:

Agreed, Trevor was not subject to widespread underestimation. He had been a decent player and he joined us late in his footballing career but gave us what he could and that was 100% effort. He also frightened opponents!:)

I have to say that I don't think that Barry's value to us was ever underestimated but the rest of those that you have mentioned along with the likes of Frank Carrodus and Des Bremner were. 

Its because........respect to us all.......we don't understand the game as much as we think we do.

even in this league, we have to respect, understand and appreciate, what they are trying to do.....its a scrap and physical endeavour is required to succeed.

its all very well some saying it's a shit league.....but its not.

we need to understand the choppy waters we are in and navigate them accordingly.

you are not going to get out of this league with any notion of expansive football or anything similar.....you have to fight your way out.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Doesn't seem to have the physique to play week in and week out anymore.

Has to be manged very carefully if he is to be any use to us.

His mobility is almost Lescott bad, but if the players around him do all the running and offer an easy outlet when he has the ball he could focus on the things he still does well and thus be an asset in games against more difficult opponents.

• Like 1

Â