Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He wouldn't stand out as such as poor signing if we didn't defend as much as we do.

If we were the dominant team in games, he would look much better because he'd be breaking up play further up the pitch and teammates would be close to give the ball to.

Villa's problem is our midfield, we play with 1 striker usually who is stood 40 yards in front of anyone else as we sit so deep.

He's not been great, but there is because there is too much onus on him.  He shouldn't be played this way.  

This. Pretty much everyone who isn't a central midfielder gets cut a bit of slack from me as things stand.

Yes and no, sometimes he can't accurately pass to an unmarked player 10 yards away. I don't think it's always becomes of limited options but I agree the only way to improve the situation is with him having a couple of players around him who are quick to realise he needs a couple of very easy options if we're going to keep the ball.

17 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

The part I emphasized is simply inexcusable if true!!!!!!  They are professional footballers.  Supposedly there on merit.  Which ought to include a modicum of intelligence and experience playing in adjusted formations.   If you are professional and you are asked to do something you don't understand, you say "I don't understand that job, you should find someone who does", or you figure out how to do it before you dig in and botch the job.  

Whether he "contributes a lot" or "has delivered as expected" can be discussed and I suspect you are likely even right about them, but the he was "confused by the formation" excuse is utter crap.  You might as well just say "he's good except that he doesn't have the intelligence or experience to do the job."

unless of course, you meant that he was calm and organized and efficient but everyone around him was confused so nothing he did carried off.... in which case... nevermind.... after you fire every one of them except him.

I'm glad to see my posts from September come to life again :-)

Having seen Jedinak for about 4 months now, my view on him is more nuanced. He is even more limited on the ball than I realized. I agree with you that a good player should be able to adapt, and I also think that a complete football player should be able to play in any position. Going back to the formation part, I still think he can do a job in a three man midfield, being the defensive destroyer with good passing midfielders on each side of him. I think the Wolves game showed quite clearly that he isn't suited in 2 man 4-4-2 midfield, it puts too much preassure on the other central midfielder and makes the midfield unbalanced. My point is not that we should build the team around him or that the formation should be adapted to him instead of vice versa, but simply to try to see if he could fit into a system.

Still, I think he plays the destroyer role quite well, wins almost everything in the air and is good at breaking up play. Seems to have more energy than the younger mf as well.

I'm a bit concerned that he has got such a long contract and is on so high wages, perhaps it could be an idea to play him as a central defender? 

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

It's Tshibola's man. He has a run on Jedi and there's not much time between him going past him and putting the ball in the net.  A combination of hilarious awfulness from Amavi, Johnstone and Tshibola for that one.

If Jedinak made the move towards the box and the ball came out to his man, who he had just left, then he'd be getting more stick (and rightfully so).

The highlights probably didn't show enough there (was just trying to keep it brief). Try this one, the goal is the first highlight.  It's Jedinak's "man" before the break - he does literally nothing apart from run towards Amavi when Amavi loses the ball.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The highlights probably didn't show enough there (was just trying to keep it brief). Try this one, the goal is the first highlight.  It's Jedinak's "man" before the break - he does literally nothing apart from run towards Amavi when Amavi loses the ball.

You could argue that by gabby giving up chasing the ball, expecting it go out for a throw in only for their defender to keep it in play and start that move is more to blame. 

If he'd chased it down fully, this may never have happened. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

His distribution is poor but he shouldn't have to do it.

He should be in there to win headers and tackles, which he does. If we had two more midfielders around him capable of bringing the ball forward and feeding the attack he would be fine.

I long for the day when we don't buy such limited midfielders that they all have to play in a three to make up for a glaring deficiency.  Westwood can't tackle or do anything much, play him in a three! Jedinak can't run, pass or do anything much apart from head the ball straight up in the air, play him in a three!  I know we're not exactly the force we once were, but expecting a modern midfielder to have all of the basics isn't much to ask for is it?  Every single one of our midfielders, without exception, is crap.  Jedinak is especially crap though.

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

You could argue that by gabby giving up chasing the ball, expecting it go out for a throw in only for their defender to keep it in play and start that move is more to blame. 

If he'd chased it down fully, this may never have happened. 

I mean... if Gabby had stayed with play and roughly along with Joe Mason all the way to the edge of the box and then just stood still, then sure.

But he didn't.  That was Jedinak. 

people using passing stats still. jfc. deepest midfielder has a lot of passes. who dafuq would have thought!? Of course they do......football 101. one of most pointless stats to ever be used in world football comparing players

Edited by gharperr

yeh Jedinak is bad for that goal. lol at stopping there. Should easily be 3 more yards into box.  Shouldnt even be tracking really or "marking a man". Just standard position to be in at that spot marking space (aka passing lanes/options)

Force out. not in.

Edited by gharperr

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fair enough. I stand corrected on him being Jedinak's man at the start of it all. Although not on the bit where they're all bloody ball watching. Tish is the problem for me though from 0:09 onwards he lets 2 players go without tracking either of them. On the bit around 0:13 he has around 2 seconds to either spot the runner and pick him up or give Jedinak a shout to tell him he's left him to cover 2 players. But if you freeze it then he HAS to become Tish's man at that point. Neither are looking at what's going on around them and Jedinak goes back on his heels at the same time thinking he's done his bit for sure, not great. But even when the ball hits the net he's at least closing down in vain while Tish is standing on the D frozen in time making gestures with his hands like he knows he's made a blunder.

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'm glad to see my posts from September come to life again :-)

Having seen Jedinak for about 4 months now, my view on him is more nuanced. He is even more limited on the ball than I realized. I agree with you that a good player should be able to adapt, and I also think that a complete football player should be able to play in any position. Going back to the formation part, I still think he can do a job in a three man midfield, being the defensive destroyer with good passing midfielders on each side of him. I think the Wolves game showed quite clearly that he isn't suited in 2 man 4-4-2 midfield, it puts too much preassure on the other central midfielder and makes the midfield unbalanced. My point is not that we should build the team around him or that the formation should be adapted to him instead of vice versa, but simply to try to see if he could fit into a system.

Still, I think he plays the destroyer role quite well, wins almost everything in the air and is good at breaking up play. Seems to have more energy than the younger mf as well.

I'm a bit concerned that he has got such a long contract and is on so high wages, perhaps it could be an idea to play him as a central defender? 

OOPS.  Honestly didn't realize that your post was old.  Sorry if my response was unfair.

FWIW.  I think perhaps his best quality is reading and playing in the passing lanes.  He's really quite good at it.  It's not a flashy role.  You don't notice it unless you know the game and pay attention to how he positions himself.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Fair enough. I stand corrected on him being Jedinak's man at the start of it all. Although not on the bit where they're all bloody ball watching. Tish is the problem for me though from 0:09 onwards he lets 2 players go without tracking either of them. On the bit around 0:13 he has around 2 seconds to either spot the runner and pick him up or give Jedinak a shout to tell him he's left him to cover 2 players. But if you freeze it then he HAS to become Tish's man at that point. Neither are looking at what's going on around them and Jedinak goes back on his heels at the same time thinking he's done his bit for sure, not great. But even when the ball hits the net he's at least closing down in vain while Tish is standing on the D frozen in time making gestures with his hands like he knows he's made a blunder.

Oh yeah, Tshibola is terrible there too. Both of them are.  Jedinak is ahead of Mason and closest to him almost the entirety of the build up to that goal.  In fact, if he bothers to run even slightly into the danger zone, he probably tackles him.  That's why he's at fault for me (along with Amavi and Tshibola.  Possibly Johnstone too, but not as much).  He's meant to be a protective force but fails there.

You're right after the goal.  There's 3 of them looking at each other like "who had him?!"

• Like 1

Despite all his critics about his low grade play......and they have a point,

without this player, SB would not have got his points haul that he has.He has proved to be a necessary evil.

not trying to argue against his critics, but his aerial work has alleviated so much pressure from a poor team.

He is like most of the squad......good in parts or bits and dabs.

Ps ..most Palace fans would have back now, but that is not trying to promote him, just perspective.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Risso said:

I long for the day when we don't buy such limited midfielders that they all have to play in a three to make up for a glaring deficiency.  Westwood can't tackle or do anything much, play him in a three! Jedinak can't run, pass or do anything much apart from head the ball straight up in the air, play him in a three!  I know we're not exactly the force we once were, but expecting a modern midfielder to have all of the basics isn't much to ask for is it?  Every single one of our midfielders, without exception, is crap.  Jedinak is especially crap though.

We're in the championship.

You don't get many midfielders who can do everything.

FWIW I think Jedinak would work in a midfield 2 as well if he wasn't playing alongside absolute shite.

Think of it the other way. If we had two midfielders who were brilliant at passing but couldn't tackle or intercept to save their lives and were playing in a midfield two together, our defence would get overrun constantly and we'd be sat here saying about one of them "bloody hell Joe Bloggs can't tackle to save his life, he's shit!"
If you stuck Jedinak alongside him to do the dirty work and left him to do the passing then it would work.

Currently we have a Defensive midfielder, and then Tshibola/Westwood/Gardner/Bacuna who all do **** all.

This isn't some massive defence of jedinak. He still has poor games. He was poor on Saturday. My point is more of a bigger picture. Jedinak IS good enough to be playing for us at this level. But he's not going to become an amazing passer getting 20 assists over night. That's not his game. We need somebody else to do that job and we have literally nobody who can do it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

FWIW I think Jedinak would work in a midfield 2 as well if he wasn't playing alongside absolute shite.

Think of it the other way. If we had two midfielders who were brilliant at passing but couldn't tackle or intercept to save their lives and were playing in a midfield two together, our defence would get overrun constantly and we'd be sat here saying about one of them "bloody hell Joe Bloggs can't tackle to save his life, he's shit!"
If you stuck Jedinak alongside him to do the dirty work and left him to do the passing then it would work.

Currently we have a Defensive midfielder, and then Tshibola/Westwood/Gardner/Bacuna who all do **** all.

This isn't some massive defence of jedinak. He still has poor games. He was poor on Saturday. My point is more of a bigger picture. Jedinak IS good enough to be playing for us at this level. But he's not going to become an amazing passer getting 20 assists over night. That's not his game. We need somebody else to do that job and we have literally nobody who can do it.

Spot on

I would have thought all that is obvious.....but apparently not.

ps thats why we had( respectfully) Des Bremner featuring in a Championship winning and Euro winning team.....they do the ugly stuff....that most of the technical bods struggle with.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think he is.  His legs are gone, and he's so slow and caught out of position so often that his major strength is now severely inhibited.  Look at that video link for the Wolves goal that somebody posted, he's just ambling about.

Still, great beard.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Oh yeah, Tshibola is terrible there too. Both of them are.  Jedinak is ahead of Mason and closest to him almost the entirety of the build up to that goal.  In fact, if he bothers to run even slightly into the danger zone, he probably tackles him.  That's why he's at fault for me (along with Amavi and Tshibola.  Possibly Johnstone too, but not as much).  He's meant to be a protective force but fails there.

You're right after the goal.  There's 3 of them looking at each other like "who had him?!"

FWIW, I noticed Tshibola pick up their goal scorer after they scored. Tshibola was nearly as bad after seeing that replay but it should not have gone past Jedinak as it should be his primary role to stop moves like that from happening. He actually slowed down and switched off when he should have been assessing the danger around him and putting himself in a position to stop the move.

Edited by Michael118

9 hours ago, Risso said:

I don't think he is.  His legs are gone, and he's so slow and caught out of position so often that his major strength is now severely inhibited.  Look at that video link for the Wolves goal that somebody posted, he's just ambling about.

Fair enough. I disagree. I've seen enough good performances this season to think that he's capable at this level.

Not saying he wasn't poor on Sunday though. He was.

but so was everyone.

• Like 1

Â