Mile Jedinak

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Sadly looking at being out for next 3 games at least according to Bruce today .

seems to have been put a lot of games this season - let's hope we change the stat that Jedi has been in every game we've won - we haven't won without him in the team and that needs to change now

**** a Doodle Doo

I was looking forward to seeing a balanced team.

18 minutes ago, tinker said:

Hes crap on the floor anyway and with 3 central defenders I'm not sure we will, or should be missing his main strength, heading. Stick Gardner there or though it pains me to say it Bacuna.

Bjarnson , hourihane and Lansbury for me as the central 3 - Gardner and bacuna have failed too often .

wonder if bjarnson could sit in front of the defense allowing the other two to push up .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Bjarnson , hourihane and Lansbury for me as the central 3 - Gardner and bacuna have failed too often .

wonder if bjarnson could sit in front of the defense allowing the other two to push up .

At this level, I think we need someone who is commanding in the air.

45 minutes ago, TRO said:

You need someone who is is physically capable......errrrrrrrrrr.

rrrrrrrrr  if you are waiting for Jedinak to save us then we going to wait a long time. Hes got his strengths but hes not going to benefit us sitting in front of 3 players who all do the same thing. 

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

but thats just it, they don't do the same thing.

Against Forest the 3 central defenders did try and do the same thing, on more than one occasion they went for the same ball and got in each others way while leaving other players free in the box. I also noted attempts to intercept the ball by running out defence, which ended up with them being out of position and chasing players back towards our goal, not a position i would want to see any of these 3, heart stopping tbh. I think Gardner would be my pick to play in front of a back 3 filled with central defenders.

As a side issue Jedinak has all the attributes of being able to play in the centre of defence.

22 minutes ago, tinker said:

Against Forest the 3 central defenders did try and do the same thing, on more than one occasion they went for the same ball and got in each others way while leaving other players free in the box. I also noted attempts to intercept the ball by running out defence, which ended up with them being out of position and chasing players back towards our goal, not a position i would want to see any of these 3, heart stopping tbh. I think Gardner would be my pick to play in front of a back 3 filled with central defenders.

As a side issue Jedinak has all the attributes of being able to play in the centre of defence.

Thats what i meant by DEDICATED DM......not an attacking midfielder filling the role.

Seeing how this season is a dead rubber i'd play Gardner in Jedinak's role till the end of the season

If he proves to be shite we ship him out in the summer on loan if need be 

Personally i don't think he's good enough to be first choice and i'd make signing a new DM a priority alongside a GK in the summer

Edited by AshVilla

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Seeing how this season is a dead rubber i'd play Gardner in Jedinak's role till the end of the season

If he proves to be shite we ship him out in the summer on loan if need be 

Personally i don't think he's good enough to be first choice and i'd make signing a new DM a priority alongside a GK in the summer

I agree with the signings.

I don't see a natural tendency to attack the ball from Gardner, so am really unsure of trying him there.....but he could surprise me.

8 hours ago, Eastie said:

Sadly looking at being out for next 3 games at least according to Bruce today .

seems to have been put a lot of games this season - let's hope we change the stat that Jedi has been in every game we've won - we haven't won without him in the team and that needs to change now

That would be a whole month out which is a lot longer than I think the initial indications we were given were. :(   

So, with Jedinak injured and us having gone out and bought three midfield players where does that leave him in the scheme of things?

I think if we persist with three centre backs we don't need what he brings as a midfielder and, if we go to two, I still think there's a very good case for leaving Lansbury in the deeper role that he's doing very well at. 

Now I can see the arguments for a triangle like this:

----------------------Jedinak---------------------

------------Lansbury-----Hourihane------------

And as Hourihane settles, it could well be possible - but there's not a huge amount of energy in that midfield - I think in order to play Jedinak we have to find running for him - someone to chase players. It's not the worst, but that's not as mobile as a midfield without him. It also relegates Bjarnason and Grealish to the bench, which leaves us with some questions.

I think Lansbury looks both comfortable and happy here:

--------------------Lansbury---------------------

-----------XXXXXXX------XXXXXXX-------------

And there's no way that Jedinak could fill either of those more advanced spaces - ideally they'd be Hourihane and Bjarnason I'd think.

If we want a traditional number ten behind two strikers that aren't great at coming deep for the ball, another option I think we have to consider given our awful goalscoring difficulties, then I think Grealish comes into play and this..

--------------Lansbury---------XXXXXX-----------

------------------------Grealish--------------------

becomes a possibility - again, I think both Bjarnason and Hourihane are better options in that space - if we have Lansbury playing deep and spraying the ball around, then we need some energy next to him.

I'm not sure when Jedinak is back from his injury, but he faces a real risk that if he takes a while, the current midfield might settle in his absence and he might find it very difficult to get back in.

One glimmer of hope for him though lies in our current formation - I think he'd be a useful centre back in a three - he's big, good in the air and calm and in principle he should be able to bring the ball out from the back - I think it's something he might consider.

As things stand, he's 32 and he's not the most flexible - if he's out for another two or three games, there's a real chance we might not see him start games again.

Jedinak is not the answer to our problems. In fact, I'd argue he'd cause more of them.

Our problems would be much better helped by leaving the current three midfielders in their current roles. They're all better than Jedinak. What we need is to either have Bree and Amavi as attacking fullbacks (rather than the faux back three which is really a back five with Hutton and Taylor) OR simply go standard 4-4-2 (4-3-1-2) and use someone like Adomah or Grealish to better link the midfield to the attack.

We didn't look vunerable until Ipswich scored due to a slip/mistake by Elphick as Lansbury does the role Jedinak is supposed to be good at but actually isn't. Jedinak should be nothing more than a squad player and I'd even put him behind Gardner who I don't rate either. Defensively there is little wrong with the midfield, it just needs greater numbers and width.

36 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Jedinak is not the answer to our problems. In fact, I'd argue he'd cause more of them.

Our problems would be much better helped by leaving the current three midfielders in their current roles. They're all better than Jedinak. What we need is to either have Bree and Amavi as attacking fullbacks (rather than the faux back three which is really a back five with Hutton and Taylor) OR simply go standard 4-4-2 (4-3-1-2) and use someone like Adomah or Grealish to better link the midfield to the attack.

We didn't look vunerable until Ipswich scored due to a slip/mistake by Elphick as Lansbury does the role Jedinak is supposed to be good at but actually isn't. Jedinak should be nothing more than a squad player and I'd even put him behind Gardner who I don't rate either. Defensively there is little wrong with the midfield, it just needs greater numbers and width.

Depends if you're happy playing 5 at the back for the rest of the season.  I for one am desperate for jedinak to be fit again and hopefull playing in front of a back 4.

For those saying give gardener a go there that's just wishful thinking.  What jedi gives is a commanding presence in the air that takes the pressure off the cd's and allows the to keep their position.  Gardener is never going to do that in a million years.

• Like 1

Â