James Chester

KJT123

Worried about the aerial non-threat that Elphick and Chester seem to possess. Martin didn't get great service today but seemed to win anything he did get. Likewise Bent coming on and beating Elphick in the air. 

Comfortable on the ball though. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Worried about the aerial non-threat that Elphick and Chester seem to possess. Martin didn't get great service today but seemed to win anything he did get. Likewise Bent coming on and beating Elphick in the air. 

I'm not worried, they've both got a good leap and seem very competent in the air, height isn't everything (Obviously it's normally a plus).

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd put the bent one down to a great cross but I'd also somewhat worry about the lack of aerial threat. The goal at the weekend started with Chester being beaten from a long ball and Derby had a good chance from a similar thing today.

Overall I've been impressed with the Elphick / Chester partnership but if we are playing against a long ball team with a big striker looking to win headers to knock down I'd prefer baker and elphick in there.

• Like 1

Wasn't excited by him coming in and had massive concerns about his height (which similarly to a few opinions above, haven't gone away).

However he adds a calmness we haven't had for a long time and is winning me over.  Jedinak will do a lot to ease the height concerns as I think he'll shield the back when it comes to long balls and corners.

17 hours ago, matrim said:

I'd put the bent one down to a great cross but I'd also somewhat worry about the lack of aerial threat. The goal at the weekend started with Chester being beaten from a long ball and Derby had a good chance from a similar thing today.

Overall I've been impressed with the Elphick / Chester partnership but if we are playing against a long ball team with a big striker looking to win headers to knock down I'd prefer baker and elphick in there.

Yes, same conclusion for me too. 

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not sure what games you've watched since the start of the season but Elphick is immense.  He rarely comes off 2nd best in an airial challenge.

Chester is not the tallest and isn't as great in the air-He is still more than adequate.  This pairing is as good as anything we've had in central defence for the past few years.

I never heard anyone express concerns over Okore. What's the big issue with Chester?

• Like 1

A real good base to build on now and he forms a key part of it. The scary thing is that barring a complete howler, we don't look like conceding too many goals. If we could just find the right balance up front it could be an absolute joy watching the team and who would have thought that a couple of months ago?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

I'm not sure what games you've watched since the start of the season but Elphick is immense.  He rarely comes off 2nd best in an airial challenge.

Chester is not the tallest and isn't as great in the air-He is still more than adequate.  This pairing is as good as anything we've had in central defence for the past few years.

I never heard anyone express concerns over Okore. What's the big issue with Chester?

The only game we've played with a proper aerial striker is against Derby. Sheff Wed and Huddersfield brought on a couple of tall strikers (Nuhiu and whoever scored for Huddersfield) but they didn't have to deal with the same threat because those sides didn't cross the ball much. Against Derby, they showed a weakness. 

It's not major, and I'm particularly happy with Elphick, but it's definitely there.

ive gota admit, a few weeks ago i was expending to go into the season with the okore and clark pairing, with richards and lescott as the options, what a horrible thought, chester and elphick are a league above.

21 hours ago, bobzy said:

I said exactly this to my dad when we were watching the game yesterday. Teams will suss us out as a small team eventually and we will concede headed goals due to the lack of height in the team. 

That said, I was well impressed with the commitment of Chester and Elphick yesterday. Proper body-on-the-line defenders who are a joy to watch. 

Thought he was the best player on the pitch yesterday, aside from Martin beating him to a flick-on to put Ince half through he didn't put a foot wrong. Looks as dependable as Elphick whilst also being a bit more comfortable on the ball than him.

Â