James Chester

KJT123

I thought his passing was a contributing factor to us dominating the game, I noticed that especially Elphick often gave the ball to him to start our attacks. Very comfortable going forward and a very good passer. That said, the main task of a defender is to defend, haven't seen the replays of the goals but I got the impression when I saw the goals that he was at least as much at fault as anyone else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

£9m looks like daylight robbery.

This is the issue. He's the most expensive defender in Championship history, by absolutely miles. I understand everyone can make a mistake, but if he was wearing orange you'd have mistaken him for a traffic cone. Just trip him up if you can't win the ball FFS. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2016 at 16:20, Keener window-cleaner said:

I thought his passing was a contributing factor to us dominating the game, I noticed that especially Elphick often gave the ball to him to start our attacks. Very comfortable going forward and a very good passer. That said, the main task of a defender is to defend, haven't seen the replays of the goals but I got the impression when I saw the goals that he was at least as much at fault as anyone else. 

Yeah I came in here to say I liked him very much on the ball. I haven't seen any highlights either so didn't really notice his defensive errors at all at the game.

Come on lads, whilst £9m may be a bit steep, he is in a completely different class to Nathan bloody Baker. 

I know Sunday was hard to take, but 5mins in this section, and I've read that Elphick does little more than beat his chest, Jedinak is shot, Baker is better than Chester, De Laet is no better than Hutton, and the good Dr is simply a clone of Massimo Cellino. 

Incredible. 

• 1 month later...

He's a total, unmitigated calamity at the back. £9m for this? Seriously, nine million quid for this utter shite? What the **** were we thinking in the summer, absolutely none of the signings represent value for money and all of them were a gross overspend. 

• Like 1

Chester needs some help holding that defence together. I think he was the only outfield player who looked like he knew what he's doing and what his role was. Should have been sent off but was constantly making up for the rest of the defence being shit and having zero protection worth speaking of from our midfield.

• Like 2

He's a worse version of Elphick, and Tommy isn't covering himself in glory either.

We need at least one athlete at CB, and Chester isn't an athlete, looked like he was running in treacle when Bodvarsson went round the outside of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Thought he was our best defender, admittedly he didn't have much competition for that honour but even so

He probably was our best defender but he was still God awful. Should have been sent off and never looked comfortable doing anything. Our whole defence is just one big panic station really. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's a total, unmitigated calamity at the back. £9m for this? Seriously, nine million quid for this utter shite? What the **** were we thinking in the summer, absolutely none of the signings represent value for money and all of them were a gross overspend. 

The main problem with an owner telling all and sundry that we will be throwing money around in an attempt to become one of the 'top three clubs in the world' is that other teams see us coming from a mile off and take us to the cleaners. 

All that talk may get fans excited but it does no favours to the guys who have to negotiate transfer deals. 

Â