James Chester

KJT123

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Had a bad game but how can people say he is a waste of 9m been one of our better defenders certainly much better than that shite we had last season

...because at no stage has he looked like a £9m centre half. I also don't think he has played well at all this season, maybe the best of a bad bunch, but certainly not very good at all. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

...because at no stage has he looked like a £9m centre half. I also don't think he has played well at all this season, maybe the best of a bad bunch, but certainly not very good at all. 

I think based his euro performance and his experience 9m is the going rate at the moment. He has been good in most games I think. Elphick and him have been inconsistent.

the main reason I think this is a problem is because they are so over worked from such poor performances from midfield (Jedinak and Westwood) 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think based his euro performance and his experience 9m is the going rate at the moment. He has been good in most games I think. Elphick and him have been inconsistent.

the main reason I think this is a problem is because they are so over worked from such poor performances from midfield (Jedinak and Westwood) 

I genuinely believe we could have signed someone for £2m-£3m who would be at least as effective at this level as Chester. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I genuinely believe we could have signed someone for £2m-£3m who would be at least as effective at this level as Chester. 

Possibly but if you was manager after watching Chester in the euros would you pass a chance to sign him if he was willing to drop a division? It seemed like a real coup at the time and I still think he will get a lot better once we sort the mess out in midfield

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Elphick....

Yeah Chester hasn't been that great so far. Him and Elphick don't really gel and he looks better in a back 3 for Wales but we've been terrible when we've played 3 at the back so more problems...

Bruce did get good form out of him at Hull so should know what he's best at.

there's an issue here that goes beyond Chester.

We all watched Clark be a total disaster for years. Now getting good reviews at Newcastle. Elphick was rated at Bournemouth, Chester at Hull yet they both come here and look terrible.

what the actual hell goes on here?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We all watched Clark be a total disaster for years. Now getting good reviews at Newcastle. Elphick was rated at Bournemouth, Chester at Hull yet they both come here and look terrible.

It's called:

ASTON VILLA FC

On 10/16/2016 at 11:14, StefanAVFC said:

It's not limited to defenders. Most of the players we sign are on apparent upward trajectory's, they join us, pull on the famous claret and blue and within 30 minutes their careers start nosediving.

It's truly embarrassing when you look at the list of players we've signed over the past 5 or so years and how many have been successful here (by my reckoning, it's 1 - Benteke, that's it)

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's not limited to defenders. Most of the players we sign are on apparent upward trajectory's, they join us, pull on the famous claret and blue and within 30 minutes their careers start nosediving.

It's truly embarrassing when you look at the list of players we've signed over the past 5 or so years and how many have been successful here (by my reckoning, it's 1 - Benteke, that's it)

Shows how class Benteke is tbh. Didn't let us drag him down and in fact carried us on his back for 3 years. Can't believe he's at Palace now :( 

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Best player on the park, again. Completely dominant from start to finish. 

I have absolutely no idea why people are saying he's been no good for us, are you going by a couple of televised games only?

For me Cheater an Elphick are too similar, they both need someone like Baker next to them to be the "big man". 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2016 at 11:14, StefanAVFC said:

A string of terrible managers is the root of our problem. Good managers get the best out of bad players, bad managers make players look worse than they are. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Best player on the park, again. Completely dominant from start to finish. 

I have absolutely no idea why people are saying he's been no good for us, are you going by a couple of televised games only?

To be honest I haven't really noticed him much, which I suppose is a good thing. I did, however, go to the game Saturday, only my second of the season, and what did stand out was when bodvarson absolutey skinned him. I suppose the odd mistakes stand out more so when you're a centre half!

Cannot understand people saying Chester has been poor for us he has been our best defender by a country mile  he hasn't put a foot wrong  he is a really decent player at this level he just goes about his job no fuss which we had a few more like him 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

To be honest I haven't really noticed him much, which I suppose is a good thing. I did, however, go to the game Saturday, only my second of the season, and what did stand out was when bodvarson absolutey skinned him. I suppose the odd mistakes stand out more so when you're a centre half!

Of course and he didn't have the best of games on Saturday. Not terrible, just average. It's hard for a centre half to resist so much pressure, game after game. The cracks will eventually show. Defenders get skinned from time to time too, it happens. 

I've not missed a game so far, though 3 were on TV/stream. I think he's been our most consistent player, whilst Ayew has been our 'best' by a distance he himself has had a couple of stinkers. I don't feel like Chester has, or will. 

He's so comfortable with the ball at his feet too, good enough to play centre mid at this level. Not that we should consider moving him of course. 

First defender on the team sheet for me. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Â