KJT123

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I was kinda thinking that.....

1st - Mings (obvs)

2nd - Tuanzebe

3rd - Chester / Hause

4th - Chester / Hause

5th - Jedi

Given how well Jedi has played in the past couple of games that's some unreal depth given where we were six months ago.

Agree with most of that.

It's a funny one with Chester, I really like him as a professional and think he's a decent footballer but I've always thought he was too timid to really become a top class centre half. He's just...too small. Unfair criticism?

I remember thinking in January, we need to go out and get two, strong big bastards to play centre half because thats what you need in this league due to the amount of teams that operate long ball tactics and use a big man up top. What did we do? We got Mings and Hause. Both strong, Mings especially. If I were an opposition striker and I was up agaisnt Elphick and Chester, I'd be licking my lips. If I were going up against Mings, I'd be trying not to get my head stamped on.

We have some technically gifted players here - Grealish, Mcginn, El Ghazi who are matchwinners and proving that now. But in defence, sometimes you just need a big nasty bastard back there. That's where Chester has always struggled. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Agree with most of that.

It's a funny one with Chester, I really like him as a professional and think he's a decent footballer but I've always thought he was too timid to really become a top class centre half. He's just...too small. Unfair criticism?

I remember thinking in January, we need to go out and get two, strong big bastards to play centre half because thats what you need in this league due to the amount of teams that operate long ball tactics and use a big man up top. What did we do? We got Mings and Hause. Both strong, Mings especially. If I were an opposition striker and I was up agaisnt Elphick and Chester, I'd be licking my lips. If I were going up against Mings, I'd be trying not to get my head stamped on.

We have some technically gifted players here - Grealish, Mcginn, El Ghazi who are matchwinners and proving that now. But in defence, sometimes you just need a big nasty bastard back there. That's where Chester has always struggled. 

Yep, and hence why he ended up as a full back under Pulis.

If anyone likes a big strong bastard, it's Pulis.

• Like 1

I think Chester is definite at the very back of the line at the moment especially as we cant risk trying him with Mings at this stage of the season. I imagine he wont be fully fit until play-offs start

Into next season we will see but seems a great guy but not a great player, would try ship him out or keep him as 4th choice if no takers

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Chester is definite at the very back of the line at the moment especially as we cant risk trying him with Mings at this stage of the season. I imagine he wont be fully fit until play-offs start

Into next season we will see but seems a great guy but not a great player, would try ship him out or keep him as 4th choice if no takers

Not sure about back of line but if rather have a fully fit Chester than hause, jedinak or elphick. I'd be confident of him coming on and doing a job of we were looking to see a game out. 

26 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

And you've left out Elphick, who I'd put above Jedi. 

The problem is most of those CBs are injury prone, so there hasn't been a consistent partnership. But I think our CB pairing (if fit) for the playoffs will be as you say Mings and Tuanzebe, with Chester as first reserve. 

Who are injury prone? I’d say only AT. Chester, has had one injury since being here, Mings has had a slight knock, Elphick probably has been injured once 

18 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

He'll be an important player next season. Can't see United selling us Axel. James will be the number one RCB next season.

That is what I fear if we go up. he is nowhere near Premier League standard

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Back in full training.

Wonder where he stands now in the CB hierarchy if all were fit? 

Probably number 3 given how long he's been out and Smith's apparent policy of having to prove yourself to get back in.

I'd still rate him as our second best CB though at his best. I doubt we'll have enough games with the current personnel to see how it plays out though.

• Like 1

The fact we now have Mings, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hause, Elphick and Jedinak competing for a centre back spot is incredible... It's even more incredible when you look at our back line last time we played Leeds:

Nyland

Elmo    Bree    Chester    Hutton

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The fact we now have Mings, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hause, Elphick and Jedinak competing for a centre back spot is incredible... It's even more incredible when you look at our back line last time we played Leeds:

Nyland

Elmo    Bree    Chester    Hutton

Oh that's Nasty!  They only beat us due to a 93rd minute mistake by Elmo. I really think we could put them to the sword. 

Chester will be comfortable alongside Ming's.

He is happier when he has a more vocal player alongside him.

I know he was playing for a while whilst injured but I do think that part of his problems this season were that he had to take on Terry's role.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

A fully fit Chester plays alongside Mings for me. Right side.

Not so sure....but to have all the injured players back, is definitely a plus.....gives the Gaffa options and to rest tired legs.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, and hence why he ended up as a full back under Pulis.

If anyone likes a big strong bastard, it's Pulis.

and me.

I don't feel comfortable with sub 6ft CB'S or Goal Keepers....I think its a position you can get easily manoeuvred physically, and its critical to hold your ground....however, there always exceptions.

It will be interesting to have another look at him fit....because i think he was carrying that injury for some time, such is the character of the guy. I do like his attitude towards the club, its players like him the club needs to surround itself with, Like The RS days.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Who are injury prone? I’d say only AT. Chester, has had one injury since being here, Mings has had a slight knock, Elphick probably has been injured once 

Mings played 17 games in 4 years at Bournemouth because of constant injuries, Elphick is in and out a lot because of injury, Hause was injured quite a bit at Wolves too, and as you say Tuanzebe has come off a lot at Villa.

You're right that Chester is rarely injured. It really disrupts a team when a CB is constantly injured - the amount of times we had to haul Baker off a few seasons ago was a real issue. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

A fully fit Chester plays alongside Mings for me. Right side.

I think I agree with this. This is his third season with us, and the only time he's performed badly. This was clearly linked to the fact that  Bruce left us with Chester as his only CB, so he was forced to 'manage' his serious injury. And playing alongside Jedinak or Hutton at CB won't have helped him.

It's a toss up between Axel and Chester for the playoffs. If we do go up, it's anyone's guess. 

• Like 1

Â