James Chester

KJT123

Call me sceptical but apparently the medical staff are being extra cautious with Grealish and holding him back until they are sure he's not going to reaggravate his injury yet they are happy to let Chester play when he's not training and can barely walk after the match? Seems odd to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Call me sceptical but apparently the medical staff are being extra cautious with Grealish and holding him back until they are sure he's not going to reaggravate his injury yet they are happy to let Chester play when he's not training and can barely walk after the match? Seems odd to me.

Are you seriously comparing the importance of Jack Grealish and James Chester?

Aside from that, the most obvious point would be we have no other CB's aside from a Hause with no doors.

10 minutes ago, djdabush said:

I think the injury to Jack required a bit more caution because by the sounds of it, they didn’t know what the issue was for a week or two - that was certainly the impression the club was giving. Didn’t want to risk aggravating an injury they weren’t sure what it was to begin with.

As JV says, we have no other defenders. Hause, but he’s not match fit and apparently also carrying a knock. Chester’s pretty much had to play.

What I'm saying is that if a player is genuinely is such a bad state that they can't train and can barely walk after a game then the medical team should probably recommend that he's given some time to recover, even if have to play Hause or Bree. I imagine, however, that those reports are somewhat exaggerated.

Boss Dean Smith has revealed Chester is currently training only twice a week in order to manage the knee injury which has dogged him for several weeks.

The 30-year-old has not missed a minute of playing time, such has been his determination to help Villa mount a promotion push.

Chester netted his fifth goal of the season to help spark his team’s fightback from 2-0 against Hull on Saturday.

The Wales international also pulled off an acrobatic goal-line clearance when the game was goal-less.

Smith explained: “Chezzie has been training only a couple of times a week because he had a niggle with a knee.

“He had an injection before the West Bromwich Albion game. That is how long it has been. “He has been soldiering on for us and doing really well. It certainly does not help him that he is not training every day.

“But on Saturday certainly showed the players and us that he can keep getting on with it and do a good job. The goal was a big lift for everyone.”

Smith remains determined to add defensive reinforcements before the month is out.

The head coach has already recalled Tommy Elphick from Hull and signed Kortney Hause on loan from Wolves.

“It has been our problem all season. We are looking to address it in the window in terms of defensive reinforcements,” said Smith.

“We will look to improve that during the transfer window and try to get more options defensively.”

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2019/01/21/james-chester-on-reduced-training-programme-at-aston-villa-as-skipper-continues-to-battle-knee-injury/

Confirms the tweet from the other day.

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Clearly massively struggling. It’s frustrating watch him come out of defence with the ball when there’s no obvious pass on, he fakes a few passes then gets unbalanced on the ball and gives it away.

Looks at Neil Taylor and thinks **** it, I am getting a dogshit pass back anyway,  may aswell just get caught on it now and save us all the time.

He has been rubbish all season, yet again today there were numourous times he was caught in possession. Injury may be a mitigating reason for that, either way we are desperate for a CB. 

The drop off has been frustrating this season. I don't put it all down to Terry. Chester was very good for us the season before Terry arrived as well, certainly a lot better than he's been this season.

I really like the guy, but something obviously isn't right. If it's down to him managing a knee injury then it's even more frustrating that bruce left us in a position where we had to play an injured 30 year old rather than rest him and let him recover.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 19:18, Demitri_C said:

He really does look like he is playing through the pain barrier, I really don’t understand wha5 the club are playing at, he could pick up a real serious injury then what?

Well the alternative would have been  rest him and probably lose to Hull and draw to Ipswich. Then you’d be moaning about that. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well the alternative would have been  rest him and probably lose to Hull and draw to Ipswich. Then you’d be moaning about that. 

I'd we could have won both that's you just speculating no point talking about ifs and buts is there? 

But yeah let's just put our heads in the sand and let Chesters injury get worse so he picks up a long term injury then you will be moaning. 

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd we could have won both that's you just speculating no point talking about ifs and buts is there? 

But yeah let's just put our heads in the sand and let Chesters injury get worse so he picks up a long term injury then you will be moaning. 

Yeh because Hutton or Bree would be doing off the line overhead kick clearances.  Also we’ve looked great with either of them in defence havent we. 

If the club with its qualified medical staff feel he can play with his injury then it’s good enough for me! 

A crooked Chester is still a lot better than anything else we have! Bruce b*** f****d us mate. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh because Hutton or Bree would be doing off the line overhead kick clearances.  Also we’ve looked great with either of them in defence havent we. 

If the club with its qualified medical staff feel he can play with his injury then it’s good enough for me! 

A crooked Chester is still a lot better than anything else we have! Bruce b*** f****d us mate. 

I'd rather give one of the youngsters a go than put Hutton at cb!  Bree considering didn't do too badly. 

I agree completely with your last sentence he did screwus

31 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd rather give one of the youngsters a go than put Hutton at cb!  Bree considering didn't do too badly. 

I agree completely with your last sentence he did screwus

Yeah gamble by playing a youngster, end up losing rather than draw those games we should have won. Then you’d be crying about it. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeah gamble by playing a youngster, end up losing rather than draw those games we should have won. Then you’d be crying about it. 

And if we didn't then what?, revan being a example could have been a massive success. 

Continuing the same thing with ifs and buts is a pointless exercise anyway. You don't know how well or badly he would have done. 

Â