Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

He is not wrong there.

£12m is a lot for a 30-year-old and Villa's problems, as they proved again on Saturday, are in the defence.

For most of last season the whole risk-averse set-up was dictated by the need to keep men behind the ball to shore up a piss-poor defence.

Villa definitely need defenders and defenders usually need time to settle into a system.

Conceding 76 goals this season, like last, would put Villa in the bottom third. 

I both agree and kinda disagree about the defence. I think our problem is that we have a shit midfield in froNT of the defence. One that neither creates chances, nor offers protection.

I think our back line gets tested a lot more than other teams. Put a real midfield leader in there and I think everything starts to click into place.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

I agree Stan. Having a midfield that constantly gives it away and a forward line that fluffs about without managing to shoot is a sure fire way of hanging your defence out to dry.

• Like 3

There's so many problems within our squad it's hard to really know where to begin? Was the goalkeeper just bad? Was the individual errors of the defence unforgivable? Did the midfield keep losing the ball putting pressure on the defence? Was our forwards so static  and inept that the midfield had no chance of doing anything other than losing the ball?

Honestly, it's probably a mixture of the lot. However, replacing the spine of the team can only be a good thing to preventing this from happening again. So welcome Ross :D  

2 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I agree Stan. Having a midfield that constantly gives it away and a forward line that fluffs about without managing to shoot is a sure fire way of hanging your defence out to dry.

Now we have McCormack practically in place, I think it's essential that we have an experienced leader in the midfield to complete the spine. McCormack was Fulham's captain, as Elphick was at Bournemouth. If we can get a leader in midfield we'll have a great spine to organise the team across the park.

If we can keep the ball and utilise it better then our CB's are fine. Would still like a better RB but, from a defensive point of view, I think having the midfield so exposed is what contributes to us conceding so often.

Anyway, as this is the RM thread, it's great to have a proven striker on board, as well as another leader in the team. Feeling pretty good about the coming season, although I think the SW game may have come a bit too soon to see him start.

39 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

He is not wrong there.

£12m is a lot for a 30-year-old and Villa's problems, as they proved again on Saturday, are in the defence.

For most of last season the whole risk-averse set-up was dictated by the need to keep men behind the ball to shore up a piss-poor defence.

Villa definitely need defenders and defenders usually need time to settle into a system.

Conceding 76 goals this season, like last, would put Villa in the bottom third. 

Our problems in attack are greater than our problems in defence.

24 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I both agree and kinda disagree about the defence. I think our problem is that we have a shit midfield in froNT of the defence. One that neither creates chances, nor offers protection.

I think our back line gets tested a lot more than other teams. Put a real midfield leader in there and I think everything starts to click into place.

The holding midfield player is one of the most important positions on the pitch and often my favourite when it is done well.

I often prefer players like Marcos Senna, Busquets, Kevin Richardson and Anita Asante (England ladies), to their fancier team mates.

4 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

ok job done.

next thing: Can Ross McCormack please apply for a twitter account , considering your boss is addicted to that atm?

You called it! Who we got lined up next?

P.S Welcome Ross... put my day off to a great start

Â