Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

13 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Never seen this guy play before and didn't like the price relative to his age, but his YouTube-compilation from last year is very uplifting. Anyone can look good in a video of course, but it's his touch and trigger that satisfied me. He is obviously very good at touching the ball and striking with the next, very good at finding angles - like he has already seen and chosen his next move before the ball is his. A bit like Kevin Phillips perhaps?

I mentioned it a few pages back but for me it's his composure that stands out . Very cool and intelligent in front of goal. 

Exactly what we need

Names of leagues and names of trophies don't matter. The point is in 1981 we were champions of the top flight. To call it the equivalent of today's championship is to diminish the achievement.

• Like 2

Just now, terrytini said:

(Still need another striker though, we don't want it all on him for 46 games)

Gestede is proven at this level. Ayew will likely score goals at this level. I'd say striker is probably the last thing we need.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Gestede is proven at this level. Ayew will likely score goals at this level. I'd say striker is probably the last thing we need.

Well I very very disagree. IMO they'd be okay as backup, or in Ayews case playing alongside a good striker.

One season= not 'proof', and we aren't geared up to play the way Blackburn did.

'Likely' = way too much risk for me.

So for me,  if this guy gets any sort of long term injury we'd be well back to square one.

Each to their own though eh ?

Clicky

Aston Villa have confirmed the signing of Ross McCormack from Fulham.

We decided to speak to Fulham fan and podcaster Russ Goldman about our new striker. Big thank you to Russ for answering our questions.

1. What can we expect from McCormack as a whole?

You can pretty much expect that he will score you around 20 goals so that is a positive for Aston Villa as goals should not be an issue for the club now.

2. Will he be one that will work for the team?

I have, to be honest here and say what I have seen so the answer is “no”, as he is a striker that wants everything to go through him.

As long as the manager and the supporters accept what he is, which is a proven goal scorer he will help you, but as a team player, I personally did not see him that way at Fulham.

3. What is the general mood from Fulham fans about this move?

This is interesting as it is pretty split. I did a twitter poll a few weeks ago that had 501 votes and 54% voted “no” on selling him, but 46% wanted to sell him.

I was in the minority as I wanted Fulham to move on, so they could reinvest in the needs for Fulham. Fulham are now playing a pressing style with pace, and I was not sure how McCormack fit into the team this season.

This move to Aston Villa should benefit both teams and that is what you want in a deal.

4. Where is he best suited to play?

He is best suited to play as one of two strikers up front or in a formation that he is right behind the main striker. He is not suited to be the lone striker and my hope is that he will stay up front and not go so deep to get the ball.

A criticism of him has been going too deep and leaving the other striker isolated. He just needs to do his job which is scoring goals and letting the play come to him. If you notice him coming deep into the midfield that is not a good sign. He just needs to be a striker.

5. Will he settle into the squad quickly?

I would like to say yes, but his time at Fulham it took him about six weeks to hit his groove so do not panic if he starts slow. I don’t think he will start strong from the beginning as he will work his way into the team so just be patient.

6. Are you concerned for your goal outlet without McCormack having already lost Dembele?

I am not as concerned as you might think as Fulham have really changed how they are playing, so the goals should be distributed throughout the team, and the defence seems to have improved a great deal.

Fulham are going to win in different ways, and I think a huge key will be how they defend. The focus of the team has changed from the two up front, to a team that wants to press and play solid on defence.

7. Could he help Villa to promotion?

He could if the manager uses him correctly, and just understands that he is a striker and just gets him to concentrate on scoring goals.

Richard Heathcote/Getty Images SportRichard Heathcote/Getty Images Sport

8. Are many fans bitter about this move?

There are fans that are upset because his goals kept us in the league the last two seasons, and I am grateful for what he offered with those goals.

It is the unknown that scares fans, but doors have now been opened so as long as Fulham continue to build on the recruitment they have done so far, this move could really turn Fulham from a good team to a very good team.

There are fans that are nervous, but my hope is that him leaving catapults Fulham to the next level if they reinvest wisely.

9. Anything else you would like to add about him?

I wanted, to be honest here and I thanked Ross McCormack on Twitter because Fulham would be in League One without him.

I just think that leaving for Aston Villa is the best thing for him and Fulham. I do wish him the best, and I hope he is a success for Aston Villa. It was just time to move on and a change was needed for McCormack and Fulham.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Names of leagues and names of trophies don't matter. The point is in 1981 we were champions of the top flight. To call it the equivalent of today's championship is to diminish the achievement.

I think the point like a chrissy waddle penalty sailed over your head.

In Clear points:

IT IS THE SAME TROPHY.

And it is the same competition.  When we got relegated we had to apply to rejoin the Football League, the same Football League we left to join the Premier League and the same Football League we won in 1981, 1910, 1900, 1899, 1897, 1896 and 1894.

1024px-AstonVilla1896-97.jpg

See that Trophy in the Middle on the Table - Guess what if Villa win the League they compete in this year they will be awarded the same trophy.

Edited to add that the photo is from 1897

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

If long term injury we'd be well back to square one.

You could say that about any of our new signings.

The difference being a McCormack injury leaves us with good strikers for this level. Injury to Elphick leaves us in the shit, particularly when Baker is so injury prone too. I'd rather we bring in a CB, CAM, CDM, backup keeper and RB before another striker. Won't cry if we do bring in another, but if we have a budget I'd rather spend it in those other 5 areas.

Welcome to Villa Park Supermack. All we ask of you is 20 league goals this season.

Nice to have a strong strike force of Ayew and Ross to look forward to watching this season. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

You could say that about any of our new signings.

The difference being a McCormack injury leaves us with good strikers for this level. Injury to Elphick leaves us in the shit, particularly when Baker is so injury prone too. I'd rather we bring in a CB, CAM, CDM, backup keeper and RB before another striker. Won't cry if we do bring in another, but if we have a budget I'd rather spend it in those other 5 areas.

Well, as I say, I don't agree, I think we have to have strike power and I don't trust the rest to do it.  We shall see anyway.  I agree we need allsorts, but apart from a midfielder Id still want a striker first.  I suspect we wont get one though.

Â