Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

On 27/05/2018 at 10:15, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strange how they got a lot better after they sold him. Wasn't it Warnock who said that McCormack, whilst can score goals, can actually be a hindrance to the sides overall play?

Is that because he's no good in the air. Warnock should understand that footballers are allowed to play the ball with other parts of their body, it is OK. 

I thought McCormack looked quite good at times. Certainly, he linked well with Grealish when getting it down and playing in the space in front of the defence.

He was started up front on his own a few times with the ball being slammed up to him, may as well play me up there than do that.

• Like 2

@DCJonah Can't see him playing for the club while Steve Bruce is manager. Maybe if a new manager comes in then McCormack gets a fresh start but that's the only solution I can see. 

• Like 1

On 27/05/2018 at 03:38, A'Villan said:

Decent player at this level, possibly the best record of any import in Australia, which includes David Villa.

If he toes the line by showing up and behaving when he should, I have no issues with us using him.

David Villa played 4 games in Australia :D

57 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

@DCJonah Can't see him playing for the club while Steve Bruce is manager. Maybe if a new manager comes in then McCormack gets a fresh start but that's the only solution I can see. 

I'll take option anything but Bruce

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

So where in this scenario you've come up with does the part where he suddenly stops drinking and turns up to training part happen?? 

Sigh.   This has to have been known before we signed him.  Yes, his goalscoring record was good at Fulham and Leeds but surely someone somewhere would have said perhaps we shouldn't be blowing a lot of money on a man with a drink problem a couple of weeks before he turns the dreaded age of 30?

17 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Sigh.   This has to have been known before we signed him.  Yes, his goalscoring record was good at Fulham and Leeds but surely someone somewhere would have said perhaps we shouldn't be blowing a lot of money on a man with a drink problem a couple of weeks before he turns the dreaded age of 30?

Interesting. I remember another player with a drink problem, (actually a couple of them, but one in particular) who did alright for Villa ?

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Has he been drinking and failing to turn up for training in Australia? 

No - this was reported, but the manager came out said the story was complete nonsense.
A-League standard is fairly pitiful, but it's unfair on McCormack to suggest that he was anything other than a success here, and popular with the fans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is that because he's no good in the air. Warnock should understand that footballers are allowed to play the ball with other parts of their body, it is OK. 

Like the ones that send it accurately from ground to air and then into the net, you mean?

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'll take option anything but Bruce

Sacking the manager in order to fit in a recalcitrant player with a rumoured drinking problem who has barely kicked a ball in competitive football for a year and a half or more would be derangement of the highest order. 

If we sack Bruce, and replace him with Ross McCormack's biggest fan, does he finally score a goal for us? He might well not do. 

• Like 1

We do not have the luxury anymore to support passengers in this squad. The squad is about to be thinned out significantly, and like it or not he is under contract for 2 more years here. If he can’t be sold, the club should work with Ross to get him mentally and physically fit to play so we protect our investment / asset. We might even get a performance or two out of this £12million player. This exile approach isn’t helping either the club or the player.

Certainly Ross hasn’t helped himself but I think he had also been mismanaged whilst here, an organisation as large as villa should have mechanisms for helping players with personal problems. Imagine spending £12million on a player and then deciding the player is a total lost cause after less than a year...crazy. I honestly think we would be better trying to rehabilitate him than sell him on for a minimal fee. Christ you could pay for a full time chauffeur to make sure he got to training on time and didn’t go drinking after training for about 1/50th of his wage. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

We do not have the luxury anymore to support passengers in this squad. The squad is about to be thinned out significantly, and like it or not he is under contract for 2 more years here. If he can’t be sold, the club should work with Ross to get him mentally and physically fit to play so we protect our investment / asset. We might even get a performance or two out of this £12million player. This exile approach isn’t helping either the club or the player.

Certainly Ross hasn’t helped himself but I think he had also been mismanaged whilst here, an organisation as large as villa should have mechanisms for helping players with personal problems. Imagine spending £12million on a player and then deciding the player is a total lost cause after less than a year...crazy. I honestly think we would be better trying to rehabilitate him than sell him on for a minimal fee. Christ you could pay for a full time chauffeur to make sure he got to training on time and didn’t go drinking after training for about 1/50th of his wage. 

I still rate him - but IMO his off field issues are too great.

So accounts-wise it's all down to his book value spread over the two years left and his wages. Which depends on what we actually paid for him was it £8m rising? was it the full £12m? It kinda matters.... But on a decreasing scale as time goes on. We may need to record a loss with this one and move on. At least going off to Melbourne proved he actually wants to play somewhere though. A new manager may well bring about a turn around in his availability but I wouldn't want to be hanging our hopes on McCormack firing us to promotion in all honesty, whatever happens with the manager.

If we could get him working again though, and if we kept Grealish, and maybe if we had an attacking ethos next year—I'd be interested to see how we'd do. 

I'm a bit on the fence about Bruce. I really think he's done a good job sorting out a club in freefall, but I doubt there's anyone here who wouldn't have their head turned by the dream/possibility of getting a new person in charge who likes a more attacking and attractive brand of football. If so, I feel the squad we have, with minor improvements, has quite a lot of talent in it. I think Jack would thrive more, as perhaps would Hourihane, future-non-alcoholic RMC, Green, Adomah, Davis, Kodjia. I think Bruce has done a good job in stabilising us, but I am not convinced at all that we couldn't have done better and made more use of certain players in an attacking sense. I'd like to see that. 

• Like 1

Bruce has spent 18 months trying to rid the squad and training ground of a shite mentality that has been indulged for the past 5 years. We get a tight group who want to push each other on every day in training, go out and regardless of the result we know they have given 100% and have fought for each other and the shirt.

Now we want to give Ross another chance just because we are paying him. No. He is not of the right mentality and these attitudes should not be allowed near the group. We have seen in the past how this crap infects everyone and standards drop. How easily people, especially youngsters will just go with the flow when someone isn't putting it in.

I have called for McCormack to be brought into the fold myself, a number of times, when we were struggling at the bottom or floundering in mid table...but not now, not after we have come so close. I have been reminded what it's like to be proud of a team, to see players leave absolutely everything on the pitch. I forgot what that was like, the feeling that even when you lose you can look at the players and be proud.

Bring back McCormack?

**** no.

• Like 2

Â