Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we shouldn't give him another chance. First and foremost he's a saleable asset to the football club. Secondly, the finest player at this club in my living memory had to contend with mental health and alcohol issues and always cites GT's sympathetic response as something he cherished and responded positively to. On top of that we might well end up needing him to play a few games. Who knows? Like Bruce said himself - don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

My faith has always been with Bruce on this one. He's been around the block a few times. If the club had unearthed some sort of major mental illness problem that was the issue here NO WAY would he have been hung out to dry like he has. Not without every single person with a duty of care over him being an absolute word removed. Xia, Bruce, Wyness the lot of them. To assume it's something like that is to assume the club is culpable and I just don't buy it.

I'm not belittling his divorce or the effect it can have. But we also know this. Him being late or missing training got to the point where the manager took it upon himself to go and climb his gate and confront him at his house in the middle of the day. After that he was hung out to dry rather publicly by the club and our record signing was shipped out on loan within months of arriving. We don't know what happened but it's pretty safe to assume something major happened considering it prompted the change in clubs for Mr McCormack. Just because someone points out on page whatever of this thread that divorces can be crushing and depression can set in doesn't mean it's relevant in this particular case any more than me saying divorces can be triggered by a violent, drunk partner who likes coke and hookers n that. It's all speculation based on knowledge of life that's sound, but with little knowledge of the ins and outs of Ross McCormack's family life rendering any assumption meaningless.

The one person who is available to comment on it though is Bruce. And that's how we know what we know. Past that he has decided to hold his tongue while at the same time, ship him out. Why does that make people cry 'depression' and try and garner sympathy for McCormack off the back of it? I just don't get it. I thought he was popular with his players over the years as a manager? I find it hard to believe this is going to be the case if he's the sort of guy who would dismiss his player's family lives and mental state so easily and callously.

Mind you I seem to remember making this point before and being accused of not being sympathetic enough or understanding mental illness so perhaps I should let the strawman go and say nothing instead. ah well. too late.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we shouldn't give him another chance. First and foremost he's a saleable asset to the football club. Secondly, the finest player at this club in my living memory had to contend with mental health and alcohol issues and always cites GT's sympathetic response as something he cherished and responded positively to. On top of that we might well end up needing him to play a few games. Who knows? Like Bruce said himself - don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

My faith has always been with Bruce on this one. He's been around the block a few times. If the club had unearthed some sort of major mental illness problem that was the issue here NO WAY would he have been hung out to dry like he has. Not without every single person with a duty of care over him being an absolute word removed. Xia, Bruce, Wyness the lot of them. To assume it's something like that is to assume the club is culpable and I just don't buy it.

I'm not belittling his divorce or the effect it can have. But we also know this. Him being late or missing training got to the point where the manager took it upon himself to go and climb his gate and confront him at his house in the middle of the day. After that he was hung out to dry rather publicly by the club and our record signing was shipped out on loan within months of arriving. We don't know what happened but it's pretty safe to assume something major happened considering it prompted the change in clubs for Mr McCormack. Just because someone points out on page whatever of this thread that divorces can be crushing and depression can set in doesn't mean it's relevant in this particular case any more than me saying divorces can be triggered by a violent, drunk partner who likes coke and hookers n that. It's all speculation based on knowledge of life that's sound, but with little knowledge of the ins and outs of Ross McCormack's family life rendering any assumption meaningless.

The one person who is available to comment on it though is Bruce. And that's how we know what we know. Past that he has decided to hold his tongue while at the same time, ship him out. Why does that make people cry 'depression' and try and garner sympathy for McCormack off the back of it? I just don't get it. I thought he was popular with his players over the years as a manager? I find it hard to believe this is going to be the case if he's the sort of guy who would dismiss his player's family lives and mental state so easily and callously.

Mind you I seem to remember making this point before and being accused of not being sympathetic enough or understanding mental illness so perhaps I should let the strawman go and say nothing instead. ah well. too late.

Records signing?? No he isn't?

The facts are simple. Fulham were over the moon to get rid of him. He was a nightmare for rdm. He was a nightmare at forest on loan. He was same again for Bruce.

There are posters on here who are connected to the club. The same at other villa sites. All have stated the club have bent over backwards on multiple occasions to help him. Olive tree rather than branch. He has thrown it back in their face.

Alcohol issues, mental health issues and a rich obnoxious footballer rolled into one. The club are not to blame. 

Whether posters think mental health is a made up disease is neither here or there.

We brought a bad egg. Tried to help him and it failed. We move on.

With all respects let's not get carried away with him scoring at a league level.

I tend to avoid being overly critical of anyone, whether they have had difficulty imposed on them or impose it on others. There are no good and bad eggs in my view, everyone is different and it's about learning to work together, not writing people off. But I don't want to get too political. This thread is for Ross and Aston Villa.

I think if mental health or substance abuse is an issue we're in no position to judge Ross, it's unpleasant for everyone involved, so I don't see the point in trying to determine who is greater at fault. It's about finding a remedy for the situation first and foremost, but as a football club, I don't think Aston Villa need to be McCormack's only support network.

If he is having serious issues, maybe football is not the priority right now. As said above though, it's speculation and assumption for the most part, but if it were to be the case I don't think Aston Villa are solely responsible for him, and he needs to respect this is a football club, despite it's resources, and that if he is not considered a positive contributor, he needs to look at other avenues or a change in behaviour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Someone needs to provide me with some actual proof in here of mental illness. Or simply leave it to the previous pages. There's no evidence of it, no one around McCormack or the club has ever alluded to it and yet people in this thread talk about it like it's sacrosanct and a reason for sympathy and empathy.

However, what has at least been corroborated anecdotally on here is that he likes a drink and didn't turn up to training.

They are not the same thing any more than they are mutually exclusive.

How come it's easier for people to imagine a scenario that can be saved? Why aren't people assuming that when Bruce turned up at his house he had to fight his way through the coke and hookers from an all night bender before McCormack squared up to him on a coke filled rage and threatened him and his family? I mean if we're gonna go into inventing scenarios, wouldn't it be more fun to go all Tarantino?

Because people tend to act like they think.

Maybe that's your kind of Tuesday night in.

Not having a dig if it is, give the neighbours something to gossip about perhaps.

3 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Records signing?? No he isn't?

The facts are simple. Fulham were over the moon to get rid of him. He was a nightmare for rdm. He was a nightmare at forest on loan. He was same again for Bruce.

There are posters on here who are connected to the club. The same at other villa sites. All have stated the club have bent over backwards on multiple occasions to help him. Olive tree rather than branch. He has thrown it back in their face.

Alcohol issues, mental health issues and a rich obnoxious footballer rolled into one. The club are not to blame. 

Whether posters think mental health is a made up disease is neither here or there.

We brought a bad egg. Tried to help him and it failed. We move on.

With all respects let's not get carried away with him scoring at a league level.

what? I hope everyone else reading my posts understands the difference between a few fans on a message board inventing a mental health defence for McCormack's behaviour (Which is what I was talking about) and mental health issues themselves being made up (which I was not talking about at all).

3 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Because people tend to act like they think.

Maybe that's your kind of Tuesday night in.

Not having a dig if it is, give the neighbours something to gossip about perhaps.

I got a whole Lamb and roasted it on a spit in the garden one Easter. That got the neighbours talking! Other than that I can't say they'd be that interested, I hate to shatter the myth but my house is not very Tarantino at all. Tuesdays is more Cocoa and Mrs Villamarv than coke and hookers. But then as an aussie I'm sure you can agree that everybody needs good neighbours with a little understanding. ;) Even Ross McCormack. 

• Like 1

If McCormack had anything about him he would of said to Bruce "Thanks for the offer of 2 weeks off but ive just had 6 months in the sun scoring 14 goals and im ready to go,

Ill take a few days off to catch up with the family and then i want to fight for my place back gaffa"

rocket polisher! 

31 minutes ago, Kingman said:

If McCormack had anything about him he would of said to Bruce "Thanks for the offer of 2 weeks off but ive just had 6 months in the sun scoring 14 goals and im ready to go,

Ill take a few days off to catch up with the family and then i want to fight for my place back gaffa"

rocket polisher! 

or Bruce said your still not fit enough. Ill give you two weeks to lose the weight and get back to your proper playing weight. We dont know. 

13 minutes ago, KSV said:

or Bruce said your still not fit enough. Ill give you two weeks to lose the weight and get back to your proper playing weight. We dont know. 

Giving someone 2 weeks off would not make you lose weight or any fitter. 

However, Intense training with the 1st team over 2 weeks would!

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Mail are reporting McCormack has returned to training at villa after his break but is training alone and not part of villa plans .

his training with JT in the photo in that article lol.

I seriously am giving up on that paper. Absolute piss articles with no substance. Based off other articles information and old information. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KSV said:

his training with JT in the photo in that article lol.

I seriously am giving up on that paper. Absolute piss articles with no substance. Based off other articles information and old information. 

It says under the photo though it was taken in July in training camp.

• 4 weeks later...
Â