Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

I think Admoah has done enough to start with the shirt. He created loads last season, he has a trick, he's direct, his final ball is OK. You say he's not good enough for automatic promotion but he was a big part of the Boro team that went up automatically in 2016. Has done a lot more than Hogan IMO, let alone McCormack.

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think Admoah has done enough to start with the shirt. He created loads last season, he has a trick, he's direct, his final ball is OK. You say he's not good enough for automatic promotion but he was a big part of the Boro team that went up automatically in 2016. Has done a lot more than Hogan IMO, let alone McCormack.

Imagine him coming on from the bench for the last 20 minutes when players tire out. Him and Green terrorising after McCormack and Hogan have done their bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KSV said:

Amazing drop off from when he joined. If we can get him fit and firing again.. he will be our best 'new signing'

Capture.JPG

That sort of sums up our transfer market experience last season. Buy a bunch of players who were doing well for their former clubs and turn them into shite. :(

5 hours ago, KSV said:

Amazing drop off from when he joined. If we can get him fit and firing again.. he will be our best 'new signing'

Capture.JPG

What i find hard to understand from this is his stats from when he played at Leeds.

He scored 28 in 46 games with 8 assists and only has an average rating of 7.18.  Where most of them tap in's and pens or what?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You realise they were McCormack's stats and not Adomah's?

well this is embarrassing. I was sure it was Adomah we were discussing (for some unknown reason) and I managed to completely ignore that it says Fulham and Notts. Scuzi, scuzi, major brainfart. :D

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

What i find hard to understand from this is his stats from when he played at Leeds.

He scored 28 in 46 games with 8 assists and only has an average rating of 7.18.  Where most of them tap in's and pens or what?

Thats why Stats are necessary, but dubious.

Nothing beats watching a player, play......It tells and experienced eye, so much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

well this is embarrassing. I was sure it was Adomah we were discussing (for some unknown reason) and I managed to completely ignore that it says Fulham and Notts. Scuzi, scuzi, major brainfart. :D

you won't be the last.:)

• Like 1

I spoke to a Leeds fan about RMc during last season when he was struggling. He said he did well for them, but his stats may look better because he took all the pens and in a struggling team they were always looking for him so he got more opportunities than in a better team with other decent strikers. He also said that a fair few goals were scored once the game was lost, i.e. Consolation goals. 

This isn't a dig, because I think he is one of, if not the most, creative player in the squad. A motivated and fit RMc would be an asset to us. The trick is achieving that. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I spoke to a Leeds fan about RMc during last season when he was struggling. He said he did well for them, but his stats may look better because he took all the pens and in a struggling team they were always looking for him so he got more opportunities than in a better team with other decent strikers. He also said that a fair few goals were scored once the game was lost, i.e. Consolation goals. 

This isn't a dig, because I think he is one of, if not the most, creative player in the squad. A motivated and fit RMc would be an asset to us. The trick is achieving that. 

This is true and it's the same for the likes of Hogan and even Kodjia if the others start to chip in.  You can't buy three 20-goal a season strikers and expect to end up with 60 goals from them in the same team.  It doesn't work like that.  We'll know if they're all pulling their weight and we'll be fine if they are :thumb:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, carewjust4u said:

The thing is, all the teams/sides he's played for have not performed well as a group, whilst he was performing well. 

Yep we've heard that a lot from fans of his old clubs.  That he's awkward to accommodate and while he does well personally, his sides always seem to suffer.  You can't even argue that he was in particuarly bad sides, because as soon as we bought him from Fulham they went from relegation candidates to promotion hopefuls.  OK it may not be quite that simple, but that's what they did.

1 minute ago, carewjust4u said:

But, do we have a better player than can play behind the striker?  

I think we have enough tools* to make it difficult for the opposition.  Whether you use Ross, Jack, Adomah or an advanced Lansbury or Barney.

* Interpret the word 'tools' as you see fit.

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

That sort of sums up our transfer market experience last season. Buy a bunch of players who were doing well for their former clubs and turn them into shite. :(

Its the villa way. A-la Sasa Curcic, Steve Stone et al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats why Stats are necessary, but dubious.

Nothing beats watching a player, play......It tells and experienced eye, so much more.

In some ways, yes but you really can't argue with a striker who scores goals. That's literally what he is on the pitch to do and it doesn't really matter how the goals come, so long as they do. 

We have the capability to be a good team. McCormack, Hogan, Veretout, Hourihane, Lansbury, Grealish, Green, and Adomah are all capable of playing a "nicer" style of football. Problem is last season Bruce had us just punting it deep to typically Kodjia completely bypassing our talents midfielders. What really amazed me was when Kodjia was injured, we still attempted to play long balls to Hogan who struggled. 

That is how we take good players such as Hogan, McCormack, and Hourihane and they suddenly look shit.

• Like 3

Â