Ross McCormack

dont_do_it_doug.

I think he's got a good chance of having a real impact this season, and a full pre season will do him the world of good.

I don't like the idea of Kodjia, Hogan and McCormack all starting though. I think it'll force us to play narrow and restricting formations to try fit them on the pitch, or play someone out of position. 

I would start the season:

Hogan

Grealish McCormack Birkir

Hourihane Lansbury

If we're going to play our expensive, talented forwards, I want them to be in their most effective positions. I don't think Hogan and Kodjia work well together so I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Ross than anyone would have predicted in January. I've got a hunch he's going to absolutely shine and I really hope he does. 

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As I've said previously I think he is just a naturally stocky guy.

Will take alot for him to look totally lean. (Speaking from experience). lol

He is a bit stocky but certainly not fat... he was still pretty quick and worked hard off the ball. Played 90 minutes. 

• Like 2

On 7/12/2017 at 14:20, lexicon said:

In some ways, yes but you really can't argue with a striker who scores goals. That's literally what he is on the pitch to do and it doesn't really matter how the goals come, so long as they do. 

Hmmmmmmmm.....Is that why Geoff Hurst got the nod over Jimmy Greaves in the world cup final of '66?

Jimmy was far more prolific.....but Geoff offered the ability to hold the ball up better, but could still score, as history proved.

you are right, its hard to argue with goals scored per sa..........but there is more to it , too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, skarroki said:

I think he's got a good chance of having a real impact this season, and a full pre season will do him the world of good.

I don't like the idea of Kodjia, Hogan and McCormack all starting though. I think it'll force us to play narrow and restricting formations to try fit them on the pitch, or play someone out of position. 

Hogan

Hourihane Lansbury

If we're going to play our expensive, talented forwards, I want them to be in their most effective positions. I don't think Hogan and Kodjia work well together so I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Ross than anyone would have predicted in January. I've got a hunch he's going to absolutely shine and I really hope he does. 

Agree with all that except Thor - he's still shown no reason to me to be in the side. Very much like Gardner for me, emergency cover only......Adomah, Green, or occasionally Jedi for me.

• Like 1

Thor has had very little time on the pitch for us - he was thrown straight in, I'd almost forgotten about him to be honest due to how long he was out. Let's hope that now fit and settled ( one would think ) then he can be a good player for us this season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Hmmmmmmmm.....Is that why Geoff Hurst got the nod over Jimmy Greaves in the world cup final of '66?

Jimmy was far more prolific.....but Geoff offered the ability to hold the ball up better, but could still score, as history proved.

you are right, its hard to argue with goals scored per sa..........but there is more to it , too.

Seems like a separate point, no? 

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

Thor has had very little time on the pitch for us - he was thrown straight in, I'd almost forgotten about him to be honest due to how long he was out. Let's hope that now fit and settled ( one would think ) then he can be a good player for us this season

I think part of the panic by some posters seriously fails to remember how many players we bought in January, how many were out injured, and some who couldn't get over gates.

We rarely ever got to play our full strength team together.

Now they have all settled I expect alot better. Our "depth" isn't as bad as perceived.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree with all that except Thor - he's still shown no reason to me to be in the side. Very much like Gardner for me, emergency cover only......Adomah, Green, or occasionally Jedi for me.

I think he will be a very good signing once he has a run in the team.......

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

Seems like a separate point, no? 

Separate point, on the contrary, its straight to the point......stats don't tell you the full story.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Not really......

Jimmy Greaves had his leg sliced open against France in the final group match. Hurst replaced him and scored in the semi-final and so retained his place for the final.

It was never a decision based on tactics.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Not really......

Jimmy Greaves had his leg sliced open against France in the final group match. Hurst replaced him and scored in the semi-final and so retained his place for the final.

It was never a decision based on tactics.

I am not questioning your claim, because i am not in a position to dispute it.

but why was Jimmy so sore about not playing?

maybe you are right, but maybe I am too.?:)

Ps I seem to remember Alf making a reference to Geoff's skills and the reason for the choice.

21 hours ago, skarroki said:

Hogan

Hourihane Lansbury

Thor plays anywhere down the left. Starting him at right mid prob isn't the way to go.

Green over grealish all day long for me.

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

I think he will be a very good signing once he has a run in the team.......

Well each to their own.

Why ? What have you seen that I've missed - he's looked pretty poor to me. He looked ok for Iceland in the Euros but I've not seen anything yet here. Still time of course but I wonder what you've seen to have him starting ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well each to their own.

Why ? What have you seen that I've missed - he's looked pretty poor to me. He looked ok for Iceland in the Euros but I've not seen anything yet here. Still time of course but I wonder what you've seen to have him starting ?

Not having a pop at the fella, but to date, not sure what I have been looking at.

nondescript for me......

like Brett Holman?

hoping he comes good.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, villan_007 said:

Thor plays anywhere down the left. Starting him at right mid prob isn't the way to go.

Green over grealish all day long for me.

He's comfortable on either wing and seemed to perform well on the right in the champions league last year?

15 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not questioning your claim, because i am not in a position to dispute it.

but why was Jimmy so sore about not playing?

maybe you are right, but maybe I am too.?:)

Ps I seem to remember Alf making a reference to Geoff's skills and the reason for the choice.

way off topic but jimmy was sore about playing because he was easily the best striker in the country and after missing the semi was fit (in his opinion) for the final and he thought he should have been picked. 

57 minutes ago, romavillan said:

way off topic but jimmy was sore about playing because he was easily the best striker in the country and after missing the semi was fit (in his opinion) for the final and he thought he should have been picked. 

it was in answer to Jimmy slitting his leg;)

On 13/07/2017 at 22:40, terrytini said:

Looks way sharper than last season already. Love his brain.

Is that a euphemism for what a woman would class as a male brain? Thinking with his...

Edited by villan-scott

Â