Pierluigi Gollini

BOF

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

One error punished to the full in an otherwise priming performance.

It wasn't just one error though, was it? It was one error that was punished.

There was the time he got caught out of goal and dragged wide leaving an open goal which was actually defended very well by Villa in the end. 

The first 'boro goal last week was also a error where he should have held onto the ball.

He did show some promising things - he came for the ball and made some decent saves. Certainly enough to suggest that he will end up a very, very good goalkeeper. But at the moment I think I'd prefer one who you can have a bit more faith in now, rather than someone who might go on to be brilliant in the future. Especially after the last two years of goalkeeping we've had to put up with.

Initial thoughts though based on only two games, a long way to go yet.

• Like 1

I do think we should get in an experienced championship stopper. Shouldn't cost too much to get even one of the top goalies in this league. . This season is SO important for is I just don't like the thought of someone learning his trade whilst we are trying to get promoted. 

1 hour ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I wonder what the score would have been with guzan in goal? 

Good first game ashame about the costly mistake.

Guzan would have let in the soft one they had on the stroke of half-time. It was a lovely curling shot into the bottom corner but Guzan would have flapped at it, Gollini took it with grace as he should have as it was an easy save to make. 

59 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

There was the time he got caught out of goal and dragged wide leaving an open goal which was actually defended very well by Villa in the end. 

The first 'boro goal last week was also a error where he should have held onto the ball.

He did show some promising things - he came for the ball and made some decent saves. Certainly enough to suggest that he will end up a very, very good goalkeeper. But at the moment I think I'd prefer one who you can have a bit more faith in now, rather than someone who might go on to be brilliant in the future. Especially after the last two years of goalkeeping we've had to put up with.

The Boro game wasn't today and I was commenting on today's game.

As for getting 'caught off his line' I saw it differently, it wasn't a mistake he just got beaten to the ball it happens.

Ive only seen the game today but I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far a mistake not withstanding.

39 minutes ago, Pilchard said:

OK - going for the controversial approach here and waiting to be shot down in flames!!!  But actually isn't now the perfect time to blood a new keeper and get him to learn and fine tune his craft?  I don't think we will get promoted this season - too much **** to sort out from the last 5 years and not enough time.  I think we may get close - possibly very close.  However, in some ways getting a decent team together this year that does well and improves over the season may mean that next season our youngsters will have had a good season under their belts, gained some confidence, started to believe in themselves and adopted a (hopefully!) stylish and entertaining brand of football - that leads to automatic promotion including handing out some absolute tonkings on the way.  Then we arrive back in the Premiership with a completely different team to the **** that spent 5 seasons trying to get relegated, with a bit of swagger and a group of young lads in their early 20s who aren't afraid of anyone, expect to win and are just hitting their prime.  In which case 2 seasons time is exactly when we would want a brilliant keeper rather than some 36 year old who has been round the block 50 times and is never going to be good enough to survive in the Premiership let alone get us back into the challenge for European places.

I think we need some experienced heads in the team who are used to winning and getting the best out of their team-mates.  But realistically it is going to be tough to buy a top class spine for the team in 2-3 seasons.  Maybe signing players into core positions - who we coach and develop into brilliant players is the way to go?  Haven't seen enough of this guy to know whether he is a future £15m keeper but if there is a chance that he might be then maybe it is a good time to take the gamble.

Think I might avoid VillaTalk for a few hours / days and keep my head down for a while....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Thought he had a very good game, barring the error.

Excellent debut, tarnished by the error.  Was it any worse than a forwards mis-hit strike though? other than it proved costly?

I'm gutted for him-It was almost a culture shock to watch someone who actually resembled a goalkeeper playing between the sticks for us.

• Like 1

You could slice that clearance a thousand times and only once would that happen. Complete fluke that we won the header and it bounced off about 3 players, perfectly in to his path. 

Otherwise he was very good IMO. Commanded when he needed to, was an outlet when the team was under pressure and used the ball sensibly. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

Â