Aaron Tshibola

NurembergVillan

6 hours ago, a m ole said:

Anyone else finding it really hard to bring themselves to pronounce his name 'Tish-Bowl-a'?

It definitely should sound like 'Chih-bow-la' and I won't even believe otherwise if it comes from his mouth.

I'm pretty sure he says it Tish-bowl-a.   And that he spells it wrong. 

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I'm pretty sure he says it Tish-bowl-a.   And that he spells it wrong. 

I would have pronounced it Shi-bowl-a. I thought the first letter in a lot of African names is silent?

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Yep, certainly the case with my friend Aaron from Ghana.

Which reminds me. I've done this one before in the Piss You Off thread, but... when did Aaron start being pronounced "Arron"? It always used to be "Airon". There was even a jokey rhyme (warning: slight political incorrectness coming up)  - 

And the Lord spake unto Moses 

All Jews shall have big noses 

All except for Aaron 

And he shall have a square 'un 

Yes, I've noticed this a lot too @mjmooney. It should be pronounced Airron not Arron. I see it at work too with Sara and Sarah,  the first should be pronounced saa-ra, but when you ask them they say Sarah! Other odd spellings have included; Eleesha and Aimee. 

I blame the parents ;)

• Like 1

You're telling me instead of Air-on Shibola that it's going to be Ah-ron Tish-bowl-a?

Not on my watch.

81601-John-Goodman-pointing-gun-gif-ijHw

That's almost as bad as when everyone was saying Da-RIGH-us Vah-SSELL instead of the obviously correct DAH-rius VASS-ell

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

You're telling me instead of Air-on Shibola that it's going to be Ah-ron Tish-bowl-a?

Not on my watch.

81601-John-Goodman-pointing-gun-gif-ijHw

That's almost as bad as when everyone was saying Da-RIGH-us Vah-SSELL instead of the obviously correct DAH-rius VASS-ell

Or remember when people were saying Hwan Pablo Ang-ell instead of June Pablo Ain-gel, nonsense! 

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

In a vaguely related topic I had a mate who pronounced Slytherin, from the Harry Potter books as 'Sly-ther-ian'... What a loser... Ahem.

Yeah fancy reading Harry Potter books! :P

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

In a vaguely related topic I had a mate who pronounced Slytherin, from the Harry Potter books as 'Sly-ther-ian'... What a loser... Ahem.

Wouldn't be the guy in your avatar, by any chance?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Which reminds me. I've done this one before in the Piss You Off thread, but... when did Aaron start being pronounced "Arron"? It always used to be "Airon". There was even a jokey rhyme (warning: slight political incorrectness coming up)  - 

And the Lord spake unto Moses 

All Jews shall have big noses 

All except for Aaron 

And he shall have a square 'un 

Well it must have been more than 30 odd years ago as I've always known it to be "Arron". 

One of my earliest friends at playschool when I was... dunno 3?, was "Arron"

"Airon" is an Americanism in my eyes.

• Like 1

They're two different names though aren't they? Aaron is pronounced 'air on' and Arron is pronounced 'a ron'. Although to be honest, I suppose we can all pronounce our names however we want. Like people who's name is smith but they say 'smythe', each to their own!

Edited by alreadyexists

Â