Tommy Elphick

Demitri_C

Like his style, but lack of pace at the back could be an issue. That effort when Forestieri went near post and Gollini made a save for a corner, Elphick was beaten by him doing very little and then getting his shot off.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Like his style, but lack of pace at the back could be an issue. That effort when Forestieri went near post and Gollini made a save for a corner, Elphick was beaten by him doing very little and then getting his shot off.

I actually thought he defended that incident well for not allowing the player on the inside.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Surprised it was him with the head injury and not Baker

I'm glad it was him and not Baker.. Baker gets a concussion from a light tap, his head would have exploded..

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Loved his animated speach in the huddle before the game!

Actually looked like he was motivating the team, instead of some orchastrated show for the cameras.

I loved that too. This guy has got Villa legend all over him.

We looked solid have to say just a stupid error. I definitely dont see us finishing 16th. 

9 hours ago, dounavilla said:

I actually thought he defended that incident well for not allowing the player on the inside.

Ditto. Player comes inside its a certain goal, narrow the angle and keeper is unlikely to be beaten near post

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 8pints said:

I think him and Okore could compliment each other well if they develop a god understanding. 

If they can defend anywhere near McGrath's levels I'll be happy.

• Like 3

Played one game and he's already a Villa legend. We should have been signing players like him for a last few years and not wasters like Lescott, Richards, etc. Give me a lad who'll fight for the shirt and give a shit about the fans and the result over an overpaid prima donna any day.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cridontour said:

Anybody else notice his pre match ritual of banging his head against the post and shaking the whole frame of the goal?

I was about to ask whether he did that yesterday. 

He's been doing it for years. Apparently it was a spontaneous thing one time and he's just kept it! Not through superstition but more to focus the mind. Tell himself "it's game time". 

He's a leader, he's a character and he's a baller. A fine addition. 

12 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

If they can defend anywhere near McGrath's levels I'll be happy.

If only we could find another Paul McGrath- oh silly me there just couldn't be another Paul McGrath. Anyone else think he's the best villa player of all time?

• Like 1

On 8/7/2016 at 23:28, kurtsimonw said:

from what I recall Forrestieri was through on goal from a mistake in midfield giving it away in a dangerous area, thought Elphick and Gollini did well to pull him wide

Â