Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

His undoing was not bringing in enough centre midfielder. I still think we need another two midfielders. Westwood isn't up to it, Tish is injury prone, Jedi plays like he's 87 years old and Gardner is average at best.  Veretout and Sanchez would have been a better pairing. 

It's amazing how being a midfielder by trade he seemed to have such a misunderstanding of ours

• Like 1

I don’t think he believed in himself and what he was doing, certainly over the last half dozen games. And if that was the case and the players got that impression then he had to go.

I actually don’t think he has put a bad squad together. It is unbalanced but there is enough there to work with and organised properly should have seen us competing for promotion. Certainly with a couple of additions to the midfield in January.

Bottom line with Di Matteo is he will just be a tiny footnote in our history and quickly forgotten. It may also be the end of his managerial career.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t think he believed in himself and what he was doing, certainly over the last half dozen games. And if that was the case and the players got that impression then he had to go.

I actually don’t think he has put a bad squad together. It is unbalanced but there is enough there to work with and organised properly should have seen us competing for promotion. Certainly with a couple of additions to the midfield in January.

Bottom line with Di Matteo is he will just be a tiny footnote in our history and quickly forgotten. It may also be the end of his managerial career.

Perhaps the trees got in the way of the woods, yet again.

Felt exactly the same about RDM as I did for Sherwood. Both proved to be utterly useless. Didnt know enough about Garde to form a valid opinion.

The next manager needs to be the right man or we could become a Championship club for the long term.

• Like 1

I'd usually mock a club for sacking a manager so early in the season, but RDM has been a bit of an eye-opener for me. He got to buy his own players but still couldn't  shape them into anything resembling a team, and the downward trajectory of the performances means he had to go. Onto the next one, I suppose.

Was never that excited by him to start with and after a pretty good rebuilding job in the summer never got the team to gel.  There's still enough talent in this squad - let's hope we can finally get it right this time.

There's always a little tinge of sadness with me when a manager is sacked at the Villa because it means that the club have been struggling again and it's the same with Di Matteo.

I didn't think he was the right appointment at the time due to the rumours emanating from his time at Chelsea that it was in fact the senior players running the team. That concerned me with some of the characters in our squad.

More worryingly though as his time at the Villa progressed we could see that the forever weakness in midfield was still not addressed and he tried to compensate for that by overloading the forward line with questionable tactics which continually created an imbalance to the team.

He paid for that with his job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Another shitbag who just went through the motions departs with a nice little pay off.

**** you RDM.

I don't think he or other managers intends to do no more than go through the motions and rake in the money.  I expect when they take on a job, they feel they can do it, even if it's a challenge.  Often they may misunderstand the challenge or overestimate their own ability to do the job.

We have a system of coaching badges for people who want to coach teams.  I wonder what support and training is offered to people for the broader role of management?

I think he was basically pretty unlucky . . . we looked good in a lot of our initial league games, and conceding so very many late goals is partly tactical naivety but also sheer bad luck. Balls constantly bouncing into danger rather than out of it, freak deflections etc. However, he seems to have curled up in his shell a bit and I think for that he's paid the price. 

I'm not happy he's failed, and I'm not on board with hating him, but if he was going to get the tin tack now at least is the right time to do it. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Another shitbag who just went through the motions departs with a nice little pay off.

**** you RDM.

I don't think this is true, but if it is, it's worth pointing out that if a club keeps sacking managers every few weeks, then it will soon start to only attract interest from managers looking for two years' pay for two months' work. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think he was basically pretty unlucky . . . we looked good in a lot of our initial league games, and conceding so very many late goals is partly tactical naivety but also sheer bad luck. Balls constantly bouncing into danger rather than out of it, freak deflections etc. However, he seems to have curled up in his shell a bit and I think for that he's paid the price. 

I'm not happy he's failed, and I'm not on board with hating him, but if he was going to get the tin tack now at least is the right time to do it. 

I don't think this is true, but if it is, it's worth pointing out that if a club keeps sacking managers every few weeks, then it will soon start to only attract interest from managers looking for two years' pay for two months' work. 

Totally on your bus! 

There really is nothing to be happy about here, unless you were an RDM hater from the start. 

We are a bit of a joke to be honest. 

• Like 3

Comments attributed to him saying 4 months wasn't long enough to put right years of mismanagement.

12 games was long enough to see he hadn't got a clue and the performances were getting progressively worse.

Â