Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

27 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think there's obviously something there. You don't win a Champions League Final, away from home, with a bunch of your team suspended/injured by completely fluke.

Which he completely failed to demonstrate in his time here.

On 11/11/2016 at 19:10, kurtsimonw said:

I think there's obviously something there. You don't win a Champions League Final, away from home, with a bunch of your team suspended/injured by completely fluke.

Rumour has it that John Terry was calling the shots in the final (take a look at v. Napoli below as an example). 

article-2119446-122C4592000005DC-29_468x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trekka said:

Rumour has it that John Terry was calling the shots in the final (take a look at v. Napoli below as an example). 

article-2119446-122C4592000005DC-29_468x

If that is the case then Chelsea have wasted a lot of money on managers over the years. They should just appoint Terry and they would have won 5 Champions Leagues by now :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Roberto Di Matteo says he was ‘p***** off’ when Tony Xia pressed the panic button and cut short their Aston Villa project.

Chinese businessman Xia appointed the Italian shortly after buying the club from Randy Lerner in 2016 and presented him with an £80million transfer war chest to sign nine new players.

Of those nine only two remain at Villa Park - James Chester and Jonathan Kodjia - with several others going down as disastrous deals.

Di Matteo was moulding his team together in Villa’s first season in the Championship before Xia pulled the trigger 11 games in.

A 2-0 defeat at Preston North End was Di Matteo’s last in the dugout - and the Champions League winning coach was furious that Xia had broken his promise.

“I was p***** off when it ended,” Di Matteo told The Athletic.

“We spoke about a project and agreed that the first season was going to be tough. The play-offs were the aim and I believe we would have got there. But the club made a decision like that (after just 124 days).

“How long did it take them to get back into the Premier League in the end? Three seasons.

“Despite the disappointment, I was happy they achieved what they set out to do.”

Clicky

Gotta sympathize with him there a bit. Don't think he would have done any worse than Bruce's 13th that season that included a 9 game winless run, 8 of which were defeats. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Clicky

Gotta sympathize with him there a bit. Don't think he would have done any worse than Bruce's 13th that season that included a 9 game winless run, 8 of which were defeats. 

He spent 17m on Tish and McDrunk. No sympathy. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

McCormack looked a good signing at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Possibly, although there have been rumours circulating about him for years before we signed him. No other team wanted to touch him with a barge pole. Still, he looked good for Fulham the season before. 

I guess the lack of due diligence done by the club sums up the club and the people in charge at the time. 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

In fairness some of us could tell that was a lemon.

He looked like maybe he wasn't the most diligent professional sure, but nobody could tell he had mental/alcohol issues. I mean he was just off the back of a scorching season with Fulham.

We probably should have done a bit more due diligence other than just signing all the top scorers in the league (worked out okay with Jimmy D though), but on the face of it, it was a decent signing.

Edited by Keyblade

Either way you don't spend £13m or whatever on an almost 30 y.o Scottish Championship striker and give him a massive 4 year contract.

You just don't.

Fwiw I mostly blame the club for the horrendous spending we did during our first season in that league.

RDM, Bruce and others obviously also partly to blame.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

1 win in what, 11 games? Against pretty mediocre opposition too.

A bunch of awful signings.

But yeah sure, we’d probably have been champions of Europe now if he’d stayed on.

Nobody has said that, but go off man.

• Like 2

One for forgotten players/managers thread this, I'd actually forgotten he'd managed us!

Couple of weeks off three years since he was ditched after the Preston game, time does fly quick sometimes.

We started the season off o.k and should've got far more points on the board given how we played v Huddersfield, Derby and Nottm Forest in the early weeks. However the draws and conceding late goals to likes of Brentford and Barnsley really meant confidence from not just the team but fans quickly evaporated. I was at the Preston game and we were abysmal, could've easily lost that 4 or 5-0.

We were very unlikely to go up that season so maybe we should've just given him the season but a pretty forgettable manager for me.

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

1 win in what, 11 games? Against pretty mediocre opposition too.

A bunch of awful signings.

But yeah sure, we’d probably have been champions of Europe now if he’d stayed on.

Gollini, Chester, Elphiick, Adomah, Kodjia

Bunch of duds 

Â