Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I'm not sure how I feel about him now. I kept saying we need to stick with him and have some continuity but after yesterday's performance I'm not so sure. Clearly, individual errors are costing us, especially yesterday against Preston but, who picked those players? He could have gotten rid of Westwood in the summer but kept him. He also bought Jedinak. He put that team out yesterday too.

You can only defend so far and I am now not sure what the answer is. We certainly don't seem to be improving, which is a huge worry.  

It's not just about the mistakes—the problem for me is we seem to have no idea what we're doing in attack. Plus, the situation in central midfield, the lack of options and balance, is ridiculous considering how much money we spent in the summer. 

Edited by praisedmambo

Thankfully we only gave him a two year contract so the compo won't be much. I have to say we have had some really crap managers lately, but di Matteo has been by far the worst. How the hell do you manage to blow more money than Sherwood, play at a lower level and have a worse record than Sherwood?

thats diabolical. Arrivaderci floperto

• Like 2

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I was another (and still am) who thought that we'd not go up this season.I think it's a pretty early stage to make a judgement, but I went to PNE yesterday and, just.....

At the end of last season i would have agreed with you, there was simply to much work to be done to even consider promotion.

But having said all that, the resources of the two clubs are miles apart. They're a recent League 1 side, ffs.

This is where things changed for me, there was plenty to do, but fair play to the club, plenty was done. 90% of tbe teams in this division would be looking at our spending in the summer with the same level of bewilderment as we view the likes of City and Chelsea. Its a staggering amount of money, an amount which probably made many fans (including myself) reevaluate there predictions for the season.

A good manager should be able to at least drag this bunch of players into the playoffs, and i know some people might laugh at this, but if we get the next appointment right (assumimg RDM will be leaving imminently) i still don't think its too late this season.

Edited by blandy
quoting sorted

4 hours ago, Ginko said:

In his defence, Tshibola had just returned from injury and so many games in such a short time may have been a bit too much, but you'd like to think he could have started and maybe played for 60 minutes at least.

I'd agree if he'd played 90 min in his last 2 games but he played about 90 min in both. He's our best midfielder and with a 2 week break you can risk him a bit more. Also if you're fit enough for the bench you have to be fit enough to play 90 Mia's you never know if there is an jujury coming. Anyway it looks like he'll be gone by morning anyway 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

A good manager should be able to at least drag this bunch of players into the playoffs, and i know some people might laugh at this, but if we get the next appointment right (assumimg RDM will be leaving imminently) i still don't think its too late this season.

Definitely not too late with the right person in charge. We still have 35 games left to play, only 3 less games than a full premier league season and 105 points to play for.

We are 10 points away from the play-offs and 15 points away from top.

It is feasible that with the correct run of results we could wipe out this difference by Christmas.

Can't see things changing with RDM and his 4-1-5 formation at the helm though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I was another (and still am) who thought that we'd not go up this season.

I think it's a pretty early stage to make a judgement, but I went to PNE yesterday and, just.....

We were well beaten by a side which was committed, organised, had a solid system, whose players knew their roles, who knew their game plan and whose formation was set up to win the game, and if not win it, then certainly be damned hard to beat. They have some good players (2 came from Villa). Their fans have a different level of expectation and were delighted with the way they played. But having said all that, the resources of the two clubs are miles apart. They're a recent League 1 side, ffs.

We were clueless, didn't play as a team, were set up wrong, and didn't know what to do, with no-one either on or off the pitch grabbing the situation and sorting things out. The two goals we conceded were both mistakes by individual players, with team mates not helping.

I'm concerned that it's actually the coaching and fitness which is the major problem, as well as players unable to deal with pressure, from opponents and from the expectation.

The manager picked the coaches, and so has to carry that can. But changing the manager (again) without getting to a situation which accepts the nature of the league we're in, where everyone is basically scrapping like dogs in every game and where Villa (along with a couple of other sides) represent a particular scalp will not solve the situation.

Neither the manager nor the coaches nor the players on the pitch appear to have a clue what to do, how to change things during games. The line-ups at the start are mystifying and the abilities of the attacking players are not being made use of, because they seem too far apart - there are no partnerships up front, in midfield or at the back, no digging in and helping your mates out, no intuitive interplay going forward, just individuals and "hoping someone does something".

The club needs a manager who can instill more discipline and organisation in the play and to get them to do the basics right and start to gell together. Walk before you can run. Whoever is manager it will not happen overnight, and it was never going to, but RDM has made a mess of it.

ditto

It was never going to happen overnight, but with the money spent and the coaches we have....1 win in 11 is not what we was expecting either.

sure it could take 2 years.....but this is a relegation fight now Pete ( as we stand)....It will take a huge turn around in what we are seeing on the pitch to make that statement ridiculous....because it should be ridiculous.

nobody wanted to be in this position with RDM and we all know these things take time, but

as an analogy

If you start a jigsaw puzzle particularly a big one, it is prudent or customary to start building the edges first to give yourself a start and to lower the odds....If you don't do that and folk are watching you....they would be forgiven for thinking you a haven't got much idea.

He was never going to cure our ills in this time.....but what he has achieved leaves us all in doubt that its going anywhere good

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been informed by a player that he has been sacked. Take it or leave it as I won't say anymore than that ;)

Time for Round & Wyness to earn their corn and advise Dr. T on the correct appointment.

I've defended him pretty far but if he has been sacked, he can hardly complain. Results haven't been good enough, and we shouldn't be in or around the relegation zone. 

It's clear that his summer recruitment was defective as well, we need at least two excellent midfielders ready to go and that hasn't happened. 

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been informed by a player that he has been sacked. Take it or leave it as I won't say anymore than that ;)

You can't ..........and don't let anyone press you.

just hope we get one that can make a bit of a difference.....and give teams a game.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

You can't ..........and don't let anyone press you.

just hope we get one that can make a bit of a difference.....and give teams a game.

Who was it? :mrgreen:

just messing. Well I really hope the gambles are over as if we were poker players we would be bankrupt and lost all our houses.

33 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been informed by a player that he has been sacked. Take it or leave it as I won't say any more than that ;)

Thanks for posting this Dave.  Never easy, as people can give pelters for any info given out.  Knowing this, would Clarke and Bond be following you think? 

• Like 1

Â