Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

2 hours ago, KHV said:

Done well for himself, gets a fat payoff every time he is sacked. I'd retire and play a lot of golf if I was him. He must have shitloads in the bank

Or he can work on bettering himself as a manager and try to find solutions to the problems he faced in his past. Di Matteo is 46. That is so young for a manager. He still will have chances. 

8 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Or he can work on bettering himself as a manager and try to find solutions to the problems he faced in his past. Di Matteo is 46. That is so young for a manager. He still will have chances. 

I seriously doubt he will.

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I seriously doubt he will.

He will if he is willing to drop down the leagues to earn his trade.  I can see him popping up somewhere abroad in a lower league, doing "OK" and coming back to a Championship team.  Then it will all go tits-up again.  

Just read his statement to the lma. Very gracious, saying he wishes the club all the best and he sees results turning in our favour; obviously does advise that, that will occur due to his training but which manager wouldn't say that 

13 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just read his statement to the lma. Very gracious, saying he wishes the club all the best and he sees results turning in our favour; obviously does advise that, that will occur due to his training but which manager wouldn't say that 

I thought he was fairly gracious as well - thanking fans etc. nothing there that would put a prospective manager off.

Sacked Aston Villa manager Roberto di Matteo says he is "deeply disappointed" not to be given enough time by the struggling Championship club.

The Italian, 46, was sacked on Monday after only 124 days in charge.

Speaking for the first time since, he said: "My coaching staff and I have worked tirelessly to rebuild the squad.

"I have seen enough over the opening games of the season to suggest that the team we built will start converting draws into wins and climb the table."

I haven't. Quite the opposite.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trekka said:

He will if he is willing to drop down the leagues to earn his trade.  I can see him popping up somewhere abroad in a lower league, doing "OK" and coming back to a Championship team.  Then it will all go tits-up again.  

Have to agree to disagree, no Championship side will give him another chance after his spell with us.

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd have sacked him weeks ago, then again I'd never have appointed him.

I was alright with it, not thrilled but thought he may be the man for the job. I was very wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Have to agree to disagree, no Championship side will give him another chance after his spell with us.

Scottish Championship maybe, he could bring his style of football to Raith or Alloa maybe

In fairness he did work  his way up...started at Milton Keynes, then went to Albion. Was pretty lucky to get the Chelsea job but at least his career back then had progression...can you honestly see Giggs doing something like that? A big name player who didn't just wait to walk into a prem job.

I thought it was a good appointment at the time...but probably in 6 months time will even forget he was manager. A very underwhelming and disappointing spell in charge.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

When he was sacked, I didn't notice a single message from a Villa fan that felt it was too soon. 

Funny, when he was appointed I (a) was prepared to give him a chance to show what he could do, as with all managerial appointments but (b ) was worried about  Di Matteo's "second season syndrome", his apparent inability to sustain any success beyond the first campaign (as with West Brom, Chelsea, Schalke).

Boy did he prove me wrong! Sod the second season, he has honed the collapse in form down to about 4 months from appointment.

To be fair, I think this was RDM''s first real challenge to build a quality squad virtually from scratch and that has maybe emerged as a big weakness for him.

Usually you hear a complete lowdown from a manager of why he bought so and so and what he is expecting from the new player.

I Never heard a thing from him about any of the new signings. I could not tell you what he was trying to assemble.

Edited by TRO

• 2 weeks later...

I worried when Sky were doing a bit on him before a match and they had the presenter walk through a corridor at Villa park talking about dimatteo's start as manager and then they arrived at a door. They opened it and there was Roberto sitting inside waiting to be interviewed. A stronger personality would have told them to get **** for a bit like that, but Roberto played along awkwardly sitting around inside waiting for the camera crew to come in for a piece of television that fell completely flat. Imagine sir Alex going along with something like that. Or even John Gregory. When he was supposed to be preparing the team for a game, he was humouring the whim of the sky sports reserve crew. 

We needed a stronger hand to steady the ship

Â