Roberto Di Matteo

Sam3773

On 23 October 2016 at 10:27, rodders0223 said:

He had the biggest budget and bought players everyone knew. Wasn't exactly unearthing gems.

My friend saw him in Morrisons buying  Hagen das. Make of that what you will.

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You would have sacked the manager after two competitive fixtures. 

Yes

because I saw enough of him to realise that

1 he is a "name" that can attract players

2 I followed Schalke enough to see that the same mistakes were being made over again

3 and because I can react on "my opinion" I saw that he hadnt solved the most important problem in the players heads about losing leads and freezing (as we did last season - conceede 1 becomes 3)

To go through preseason and not know what to do was criminal.

9 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Yes

because I saw enough of him to realise that

1 he is a "name" that can attract players

2 I followed Schalke enough to see that the same mistakes were being made over again

3 and because I can react on "my opinion" I saw that he hadnt solved the most important problem in the players heads about losing leads and freezing (as we did last season - conceede 1 becomes 3)

To go through preseason and not know what to do was criminal.

You know, I have to wonder why no other teams have thought to avail themselves of this wizard wheeze to appoint a manager, let him buy the players he wants at great expense and then sacking him before a ball is kicked in anger. It sounds so logical. Oh, apart from the new manager having to use players somebody else wanted. And the players being furious at being lied to. And the, what, maybe £5m we've spent on severance pay for several staff numbers. Oh, and the national ridicule, not to forget that. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You know, I have to wonder why no other teams have thought to avail themselves of this wizard wheeze to appoint a manager, let him buy the players he wants at great expense and then sacking him before a ball is kicked in anger. It sounds so logical. Oh, apart from the new manager having to use players somebody else wanted. And the players being furious at being lied to. And the, what, maybe £5m we've spent on severance pay for several staff numbers. Oh, and the national ridicule, not to forget that. 

I gather you've never been in the position to either appoint or give notice to someone.

So ask yourself the following questions.

You spend money buying a company, you appoint a guy to assemble a work force giving him license to keep or rid of the currents.

After an amount of time (which you determine) you feel enough to have doubts and things arent going too well.

do you

despite the track record, interview and everybody elses dog welcoming the appointment

keep him on because you dont want to be a laughing stock (ignoring the fact that later on down the line you'd be a laughing stock anyway)?

or do you accept responsibility and act?

I know its hindsight but do you think people were laughing at any less 1 in 12 later?

but more importantly would you as boss be more concerned about your own responsibilities or the opinions and sniggering of the very folk that dont give a F*** about you anyway?

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

I gather you've never been in the position to either appoint or give notice to someone.

So ask yourself the following questions.

You spend money buying a company, you appoint a guy to assemble a work force giving him license to keep or rid of the currents.

After an amount of time (which you determine) you feel enough to have doubts and things arent going too well.

do you

despite the track record, interview and everybody elses dog welcoming the appointment

keep him on because you dont want to be a laughing stock (ignoring the fact that later on down the line you'd be a laughing stock anyway)?

or do you accept responsibility and act?

I know its hindsight but do you think people were laughing at any less 1 in 12 later?

but more importantly would you as boss be more concerned about your own responsibilities or the opinions and sniggering of the very folk that dont give a F*** about you anyway?

The near total absence of other teams that sack managers after 2 matches suggests to me that the rest of the world sees this issue my way, to be honest. 

I think your opinion here is barking, but I respect your right to have it. I suggest we leave it there, others can judge for themselves. 

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The near total absence of other teams that sack managers after 2 matches suggests to me that the rest of the world sees this issue my way, to be honest. 

Not exactly true

I think your opinion here is barking, 

Despite not answering my question?

but I respect your right to have it.  

Suggesting you "know better" though?

I suggest we leave it there, others can judge for themselves. 

Are you suggesting that the whole world agrees with you?

disregarding the fact that the results that followed the said Boro & Luton games would suggest that my "decision" after 3 games would have proved understandable?

Di Matteo is perfectly capable but was absolutely not the right person to stabilise us with the mess we were/are in. Had he inherited a situation closer to where we were around say  Houllier for example I would imagine he might have done quite well, I also feel the same goes for Garde. The only truly truly disgraceful permanent manager we have had is McLeish (though only because Sherwood doesn't even count as a manager to begin with).

54 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Di Matteo is perfectly capable but was absolutely not the right person to stabilise us with the mess we were/are in. Had he inherited a situation closer to where we were around say  Houllier for example I would imagine he might have done quite well, I also feel the same goes for Garde. The only truly truly disgraceful permanent manager we have had is McLeish (though only because Sherwood doesn't even count as a manager to begin with).

Not sure what you're basing that on. He has been shown up big time by Bruce as a complete chancer. 

I have to say I think RDM was the most tactically inept manager we've had for some time.

Lambert and Sherwood weren't great but they did stumble upon formations that got us short term success and results.

RDM was sending out car crash formations, finishing Preston with 5 strikers. He really didn't have a clue.

• Like 2

the worst manager in the clubs history especially with the budget he had and the competition he faced. Bruce showing him up is just the final blow on his CV

was stupid but easy to fix errors that caused us games and he has to take the blame for never picking up on it. If he was in charge last 5 games I would imagine we get 2 points at most

• Like 2

I agree. I he had a whole summer, to start again and revamp with fresh expenditure as part of a fresh start, he had a budget that would make most other sides in the league be envious and he then demonstrated no plan at all. 

• Like 1

I wonder how bothered he was to be honest. Supposed to have massive property interests in italy. I wouldn't say he didn't care but when the going got tough i doubt he was overly concerned about loosing his job at villa. His whole time here smacks of easy decisions.

On the bright side - Bruce was a solid candidate for us and Wyness and round went and got him. They didn't dig up some promising coach from overseas and fob us off with the 'vision' he shared. You want promotion get a guy whose done it before. sounds easy, but the failure of the club to do that has blighted us since MON left.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hippo said:

I wonder how bothered he was to be honest. Supposed to have massive property interests in italy. I wouldn't say he didn't care but when the going got tough i doubt he was overly concerned about loosing his job at villa. His whole time here smacks of easy decisions.

On the bright side - Bruce was a solid candidate for us and Wyness and round went and got him. They didn't dig up some promising coach from overseas and fob us off with the 'vision' he shared. You want promotion get a guy whose done it before. sounds easy, but the failure of the club to do that has blighted us since MON left.

Di Matteo had also 'done it before'. 

29 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Di Matteo had also 'done it before'. 

Yes, which makes him a lesson.  But it doesn't make 'done it before' into a bad thing either.  It just means managers must always be seen on their own individual merits.

RDM was great at getting the shite out and some gud'ens in.

Once he'd shown in the first 2 or 3 games that he didn't have a clue, he should have been hooked. Then we may have had a chance at Auto-Promo.

As it is, Bruce is gonna have ro do one hell of a good job to get us up

Â