The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

If anyone thinks a corporate takeover can happen within 48 hours they are on a different planet. They'd spend that long just deciding on the formalities of sharing and receiving information.

Best we can hope is that bids have been accepted and that both parties are talking coherently

This

@terrytini

There is that but to me it doesn't feel that far along.

The reactions of the King and Bernstein suggest it may have been going on behind the scenes but equally they may have reacted to force Randy to accept bids. 

I think any potential sale is probably recent in events and early due diligence is under way, the price yet to be agreed etc.

Edited by Tubby

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The funny thing is, most if not ALL of the reports I saw said something along the lines of "become clearer within 48 hours" or "more progress within 48 hours etc'. I never saw 1 report stating that a takeover would be announced or complete. Any reports I saw along those lines said an announcement "could be made" within 48 hours etc. Everyone is just being impatient and jumping on this I knew it was all bollox wagon. NOT saying it is happening one way or another but signs are more indicative of it happening than not. It's a takeover, not going on a jol down the local Kebab shop.

Well it has not "become clearer within 48 hours" and there is nothing to show that there has been "more progress within 48 hours". That to me suggests that nothing will come of this in the way that nothing has come of previous reports of takeovers on or around this time of the year which if they ever existed collapsed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Surely, IF there is any takeover in progress, the process has been going on longer than since the day before yesterday?

Depends how extensive the discussions were !

• Like 1

Randy's statement put pay to any takeover immediate take over imo. Due diligence can take 6 weeks and is usually exclusive meaning no other bidders can get involved. Probably in a period of early due diligence with a potential new owner who may like or not like what he see's. This is why the Brum Mail rubbished the 48 hour thing.   

Edited by supernova26

I don't believe for one second that anyone on here thought Larry Ellison or Wang popped on Rightmove on Friday, found the club for them, put in an offer and are hoping to exchange today.

The general feeling of the reports for me was that there have been up to 8 bids (again, over a period of time, not all dropped on the office last week) and a party had been given access to the accounts (see the last bracketed comment).

I think the 48 hours was put in by the media to try to force the club to say something. When the media find something, the club usually bring forward their announcements (See UA deal, new logo. Etc.) Basically, complete guesswork by the media that the club would respond.

In short, of course you can't buy a bloody football club in 48 hours. You can, however, make an announcement about any progress with selling a club. I don't think anyone expected a statement selling we're sold. At best the club would have probably confirmed a party was carrying out due diligence. At worst, all remains quiet and everyone is still guessing.

• Like 1

what have i missed? where did the 48 hours come from?

King is the most reliable information.. he said it a couple of weeks we may know more... surely if its on going and may take a few weeks theres no deal done yet. OS said extensive negotiations.. a lot of information that there is a buyer with talks.... so who knows.. maybe the talk that there are a few bidders.. delaying it all

• Like 2

To quote the OS verbatim:

The Chairman, Steve Hollis, is currently engaged in extensive negotiations in relation to the sale of the Club.

They can spin that any way they like if it ends up being tosh, though -- and this may just be more wishful thinking than anything else -- I do believe something is going on. I would like to think that Randy has finally realised the longer he holds onto us, the more money he winds up losing so he's finally resigned to letting us go. Aside from the cash, I'm sure we are one headache he would surely love to pass on to someone else.

Edited by Ginko

6 hours ago, KSV said:

what have i missed? where did the 48 hours come from?

King is the most reliable information.. he said it a couple of weeks we may know more... surely if its on going and may take a few weeks theres no deal done yet. OS said extensive negotiations.. a lot of information that there is a buyer with talks.... so who knows.. maybe the talk that there are a few bidders.. delaying it all

If King said it would be a couple of weeks or more, then there is no need to get too worried about this right now. I am sure King knows more about the timeframe of these things than The Sun does!

Edited by NeilS