The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

1 minute ago, Didiersix said:

That bit doesn't sound good to me...

Why?  I think we all agree this year has been as bad as it gets and that is what I think he is referring to there.  To me this is positive confirmation, "I know that the Chairman, Steve Hollis, is working hard to try to bring about a sale." 

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Maybe not,  but were they ever as bad?

A quick read of the Wikipedia page shows they have rarely won more than they lost, and some times barely won at all in some seasons. So they have been pretty bad in modern history, although Randy as owner clearly has not helped their situation at all as there was no upturn in their fortunes.

Fair play to Merv responding to the email. It doesn't tell us anything particularly new but it does confirm that we are looking to sell. When that happens is anybody's guess though. 

I'm firmly in the getting my hopes up its this summer, so we can be ready for next season camp.

• Like 1

We probably are in a worse state now, granted I wasn't around the last time, but I'm guessing there wasn't as much deep rot as there is now. It's not simply a case of our team being rubbish, that I could accept. Our problems run all the way through the club. 

The fact he replied to that email was a bit of class. The way that he joined and left the club was dignified and in many ways inspiring.

I hate to say it, but he's "one of us". It makes it all the more gut-wrenching that he's gone. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Would you like the local Samaritans number mate....glad you were not around in 'the good old 3 division days'

Oh here we go lol! Not allowed to voice an opinion and a very valid one at that without having insults thrown at you!  How would you know i wasn't around in the old 3rd division days? I actually started supporting Villa when they were in the old 3rd division so you're well wide of the mark! As for the Samaritans comment... well please lol!

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Merv's been a fan at least as long as me, he seen us relegated to the third tier. He thinks we're in a worse state now. 

If that isn't worrying, I don't know what is. 

Fair enough on the state of the club, I completely agree with you - we're ALL worried about that aren't we and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any supporter of any age who doesn't think the situation is as bad as its ever been.  I meant to say in regards to a possible takeover his statement suggests he KNOWS Hollis is working to bring about a sale - that gives me hope, rather than worry me.  I know others are skeptical, and we're still in the dark about who, when, how much etc., but I have reached the stage where I will  grasp at any straws that come my way.

Can anyone explain to me what made this year's "I'm selling" statement any different to the previous two? I firmly believe we will still be stuck with Lerner this time next year. Hollis is 'working' on a sale is he? What? Whilst still looking and trying to appoint a new manager? And so what if he is working on a sale - the treatment and refusal to let King and Bernstein do what they wanted to do for reform - despite them being brought in to do it - shows that despite Lerner saying he was taking a backseat - he won't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

People saying on twitter that James Nursey's said no takeover is close but i can't find any quotes or anything

Whaaaattt??? But there was talk of this by the club when the new season tickets were announced.......... :trollface:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, avfcwills10 said:

People saying on twitter that James Nursey's said no takeover is close but i can't find any quotes or anything

It's one line at the end of a story which came out in the Mirror I believe. Nothing groundbreaking. lol

Nigel Pearson closing on Aston Villa job after holding second round of talks with crisis club

Pearson, 52, remains out of work after leaving Leicester last June and has twice met chairman Steve Hollis for talks over a move to Villa Park

Southampton-v-Leicester-City-Premier-Lea

Nigel Pearson has held a second round of talks with managerless Aston Villa as he closes in on taking charge at the relegated crisis club.

Former Leicester chief Pearson, 52, has been out of work since last June after being axed by the Foxes' Thai owners.

But he remains highly-regarded in the game for his work at the Premier League champions-elect. Villa are looking for their fourth manager in 14 months as they bid to bounce back next season to the top-flight.

Mirror Sport understands Pearson has since met new Villa chairman Steve Hollis twice for constructive talks.

Aston-Villa-Chairman-Steve-Hollis-Photoc

His old backroom staff remain at Leicester where Steve Walsh and Craig Shakespeare are set to sign new deals.

But Pearson is believed to be ready to work with current Villa caretaker Eric Black, who is in situ and requires no compensation.

Pearson has been given a glowing recommendation about Black from his old superiorSteve Bruce.

Stoke-City-v-Leicester-City-Premier-Leag

Hull manager Bruce himself is among the other potential Villa candidates if bookies favourite Pearson gets a better offer from Middlesbrough.

But despite takeover talk at Villa Park, where embattled owner Randy Lerner wants out, Mirror Sport understands no saviour is on the horizon yet.