Keinan Davis

a-k

Whilst I think that Davis could potentially play in midfield, I'm not sure if now is the time to try it out with so much at stake. But if we're trying to fit him and Samatta in the same team, I think he'd do a decent enough job as a wide forward.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Whilst I think that Davis could potentially play in midfield, I'm not sure if now is the time to try it out with so much at stake. But if we're trying to fit him and Samatta in the same team, I think he'd do a decent enough job as a wide forward.

Attacking midfield behind Samatta would and should be enough I think.

I've seen Davis many a time work himself a shooting opportunity thanks to his close ball control and quick feet, I've also seen him drop deep and been on the receiving end of a not too accurate pass but he's still been able to bring under his spell the football and use his quick feet to avoid tackles and find a teammate. In fact I think his ability to control the ball with limited space and to find other players is one his main assets.

I don't want him anywhere near midfield. 

I want him right up front where we can hit him with clearances and he causes mayhem. Every time the ball is near him the game becomes messy and awkward, let's use that and have confusion up in the opposition half when they aren't setup properly.

Doesn't matter who he's playing against he still seems to knock seven bells out of them, don't know where he hides his muscle. 

Burnley would be mad to not pick him up if he has another quiet season next year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Mings's long balls are actually quite accurate for a CB. I think having Davis in the team purely so Samatta and Grealish can play off him and get us up the pitch when we're under pressure is worth it

I’d love it but I don’t think we’re going to see two forward players any time soon. I hope I’m wrong, but I can see it being Samatta or Davis rather than both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

His goal return in the championship wasn't very impressive, but this video reminds us that he had a lot of bad luck in that regard...

After watching that Video for me anyway you can see how much he drives at opposition, how fast he is and how physical he can be, I would try the man in Attacking Midfield and see how he does. It really would be a shame to not find a way to utilise him better and it certainly would be a shame for him to be sitting on the bench when others are not impressing.

I think reason why he gets a ton of injurys is largely due to his physical battles with others.

3 hours ago, useless said:

His goal return in the championship wasn't very impressive, but this video reminds us that he had a lot of bad luck in that regard...

Good post, very interesting clip. It shows that he’s got more in his locker than I’d remembered. He’s got the size, he’s got power, he’s got pace, he’s got a trick, he’s got vision. He is 100% an asset to our team if he can stay fit and get a run of games. We must persevere with Keinan Davis. UTV

• Like 4

I’m not as convinced by Davis as a lot on this site, I hope he proves my doubts wrong.

However, if fit I would start him against Shef Utd. I don’t think the 433 has been largely effective this season, as we don’t have the right players yet to support that System and how Smith wants to play. Samatta looks a talent, but think with his limited time at top club football level he needs support with him. Also El Ghazi and Trez look better as substitute impact players, so they can come on and change the formation to have an impact. Finally, Davis’ main atttibute is his strength and Shef are a physical side.

I’d play a midfield diamond of Nakamba holding, 2 b2b in Luis and McGinn and Kack ahead of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’d love it but I don’t think we’re going to see two forward players any time soon. I hope I’m wrong, but I can see it being Samatta or Davis rather than both.

That would be a mistake from the manager, imo. 

19 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

That would be a mistake from the manager, imo. 

I suppose it depends, ultimately, on results. So we shall see! I would love to see two strikers but I can’t see it for a while

15 hours ago, TRO said:

Well we differ.....I think quick feet and deft  ball control is a prerequisite for a good midfielder, particularly when they get caught in tight spots, in a duel.

as is being able to track back, being able to tackle, to be able to spot off the ball runners, as is being able to close space around you to stop an easy ball being passed through the channels and into the defensive lines, as is being able to speak/communicate to those around you. none of which I have seen from Davis to suggest he would be remotely adequate to any comparable midfielder. 

• Like 1

VT posting that players are better in a different position is so weird that it cant just be Villa. 

I wonder do Liverpool fans post that Alexander Arnold should play right wing or United fans think Phil Jones has the attributes to play up front

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

VT posting that players are better in a different position is so weird that it cant just be Villa. 

I wonder do Liverpool fans post that Alexander Arnold should play right wing or United fans think Phil Jones has the attributes to play up front

They do, AA is being touted as a right midfielder in the future, even the commentators and pundits have mentioned it during the season because of his specific attributes.

I think that is the key, we have all watched football for decades and while we disagree a lot across the base we know what attributes each position should have as a starting block.  Sometimes you see players and think while they are good in one position maybe they have attributes to play another position.  Obviously managers do the same occasionally with Thierry Henry moving from Winger to Striker is the big one I can think of.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't want him anywhere near midfield. 

I want him right up front where we can hit him with clearances and he causes mayhem. Every time the ball is near him the game becomes messy and awkward, let's use that and have confusion up in the opposition half when they aren't setup properly.

Doesn't matter who he's playing against he still seems to knock seven bells out of them, don't know where he hides his muscle. 

Burnley would be mad to not pick him up if he has another quiet season next year.

Totally agree with this. 
We've conceded so many goals this season by messing around with the ball at the back and trying to play out with players who simply arent good enough. Like it or not, our strengths lie further up the pitch with Samatta, Grealish, Davis (to an extent) and McGinn. 

To cut a long story short, bang it long to Davis and Samatta, if they don't hold onto it, fight for the second ball. Start playing football further up the pitch where Grealish and McGinn can start influencing the game.

There is absolutely no mileage in knocking it around between Konsa, Engels, Targett, Guilbert, Luiz and Nakamba. They're our weakest links. Get it forward. Cause some problems. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Totally agree with this. 
We've conceded so many goals this season by messing around with the ball at the back and trying to play out with players who simply arent good enough. Like it or not, our strengths lie further up the pitch with Samatta, Grealish, Davis (to an extent) and McGinn. 

To cut a long story short, bang it long to Davis and Samatta, if they don't hold onto it, fight for the second ball. Start playing football further up the pitch where Grealish and McGinn can start influencing the game.

There is absolutely no mileage in knocking it around between Konsa, Engels, Targett, Guilbert, Luiz and Nakamba. They're our weakest links. Get it forward. Cause some problems. 

Sounds like a solid and basic strategy for a relegation battling side.

But Smith will try to play more ambitious than that. With McGinn back 4-3-3 is a certainty.

16 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m not as convinced by Davis as a lot on this site, I hope he proves my doubts wrong.

However, if fit I would start him against Shef Utd. I don’t think the 433 has been largely effective this season, as we don’t have the right players yet to support that System and how Smith wants to play. Samatta looks a talent, but think with his limited time at top club football level he needs support with him. Also El Ghazi and Trez look better as substitute impact players, so they can come on and change the formation to have an impact. Finally, Davis’ main atttibute is his strength and Shef are a physical side.

I’d play a midfield diamond of Nakamba holding, 2 b2b in Luis and McGinn and Kack ahead of them.

That would be suicide against a team who rely on overlapping full backs for most of their attacking play.

Our full backs would be overrun constantly.

Â