Keinan Davis

a-k

Well my original point was that it's not so much that WBA have improved that's the reason for them doing better against us recently (apart from when it mattered), it's because of how poor we have become, and you could say the same about us versus Wolves to a degree, although admittedly they have improved a lot, so with that it's a mixture of them improving and us not being as good as we used to be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, useless said:

They're defensively fragile, and are often bailed out by their young right-back Nathan Ferguson, they're aren't doing well because they're some supremely robust team who are playing footall like it used to be played in the good old days, it's because they have better players than most other teams in the championship.

I am not sure how you deduce that in light of their goals against column. I find it difficult to believe one young right back would have such an impact on their defensive stats, on his own.

I think your final line, would be supported by their league position.

we better get back on topic.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Well my original point was that it's not so much that WBA have improved that's the reason for them doing better against us recently (apart from when it mattered), it's because of how poor we have become, and you could say the same about us versus Wolves to a degree, although admittedly they have improved a lot, so with that it's a mixture of them improving and us not being as good as we used to be.

I did say Albion have improved defensively, not necessarily offensively....giving a more rounded team.

Well the discussion was about how they've improved in matches against us, so their defensive record this season is irrelevant as we haven't played that team, last season when we were in the same division and we struggled against them in the league, they conceded more goals than us. So they might have improved defensively this season thanks to Nathan Ferguson, but that has no bearings on how their performances against us have improved, since they haven't played us this season.

Just to bring it back on topic, I hope Davis signs a longer deal.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Well the discussion was about how they've improved in matches against us, so their defensive record this season is irrelevant as we haven't played that team, last season when we were in the same division and we struggled against them in the league, they conceded more goals than us. So they might have improved defensively this season thanks to Nathan Ferguson, but that has no bearings on how their performances against us have improved, since they haven't played us this season.

I think you will find it started when i answered Villachris and said Albion are now a more rounded team, like Wolves.

I think you was talking about playing us....and went on to say, because we have got worse.....not arguing that, but that was not what i originally said.....I was merely making an observation that Albion have become more rounded and give my views why....you may disagree.

17 hours ago, useless said:

I hope Davis stays with us, I do however think signing him on a long term approach with the way he can pick up injurys would be bonkers.

As long as we do our best to look after him, help him heal and he can supply abit of football, then I'd certainly do a year by year contract and i see no reason why Davis would not want to stay if he knows its abit up and down with his injury, playing days.

• Like 1

When fit he's one of our most reliable performers, I'd put only Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Grealish ahead of him in that regard and potentially Samatta. if we don't offer him a long term deal he won't stick around he wlll be snapped up by another club and we wouldn't get much money for him with only one year left on his contract. Would be crazy not to offer him a long-term deal.

18 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not sure how you deduce that in light of their goals against column. I find it difficult to believe one young right back would have such an impact on their defensive stats, on his own.

I think your final line, would be supported by their league position.

we better get back on topic.

From what I've seen likes of Bartley and Ajayi would struggle massively in premier league. Just before the break they played Newcastle in the cup and they made Almiron look like peak Messi they way he was running through the defence. Hegazi also part of the backline that went down last time.

They do have some good players going forward, Matheus Pereria was excellent pick up for them, Romaine Sawyers also a bargain and Krimonovic seems to have become more influential as season has gone on.

Anyway yes on topic.....I think it would make sense to start Davis v Sheffield United. Match them up 3-5-2 so Davis and Samatta upfront and then midfield trio of Jack, McGinn and probably Nakamba.

55 minutes ago, useless said:

When fit he's one of our most reliable performers, I'd put only Heaton, Mings, McGinn, and Grealish ahead of him in that regard and potentially Samatta. if we don't offer him a long term deal he won't stick around he wlll be snapped up by another club and we wouldn't get much money for him with only one year left on his contract. Would be crazy not to offer him a long-term deal.

How can you say that? He's not started a single league game this season.

He needs at least 5 starts for us to fully judge him.

2 hours ago, useless said:

I'm not so sure we would be wise to give him a long term deal. Two years, maybe 3 at a push. He's always injured, we could give him a 5 year deal and he'll probably be injured for 3 years of that going by his track record.

When I say a long term deal I mean three or four years, if we only offer him a two year deal, or some sort of rolling contract as suggested then he won't agree to it nor would any half decent player of his age, ability and promise. If the club thought his injury record was that much of a problem then they wouldn't offer him a contract and might not even have triggered the extension, but as it is have triggered the extension and are reportedly in talks over a longer term deal, which is just logical, we don't want to risk losing someone as good as him for nothing or for very little compensation.

• Like 1

I think that davis should be utilised similar to the way that Vassell was.  he matches up with size and is clearly strong enough to hold up the ball, and unlike many strikers we have had since Vassell i have seen none who run the channels as well as Davis does. Add to that his one attribute that no-one else in the first team squad has - pace - then I would also start him v Sheff Utd and ask him to play in that Vassell role of running channels and being predominantly wide a la henry when we are shifting from defence to attack and to run at players committing them and looking to bring in Samatta/midfield runners. i think he could be the glue that hold it together leaving jack free to be the one feeding the players.  

• Like 2

I really like what I’ve seen from this guy and I think he’s got a huge part to play in the rest of our season and a big future, just as long as he can stay fit! Potential to be an England international IMO.

• Haha 2

Davis is joining the great list of players who improve in reputation from the fans in the inverse relationship over the amount of time he has actually played for us.  Like Carles Gil.

Yes has been injured and yes I think he has some potential but the fact is that is has scored  a total of two league goals for us in the best part of four seasons he has been at the club.

I would like him to stay but he badly needs 1) to stay fit and 2) go out on loan to a championship club for a season and see how he gets on.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Davis is joining the great list of players who improve in reputation from the fans in the inverse relationship over the amount of time he has actually played for us.  Like Carles Gil.

Yes has been injured and yes I think he has some potential but the fact is that is has scored  a total of two league goals for us in the best part of four seasons he has been at the club.

I would like him to stay but he badly needs 1) to stay fit and 2) go out on loan to a championship club for a season and see how he gets on.

I don't think this is a fair comparison. He looks effective and as if he worries defenders every time he plays—he always has done. He might not score, but he looks like he can actually compete. He has a presence in the game that a lot of our players are lacking, along with a certain quality and we've all seen it. I imagine that's what people are getting hopeful about.

Obviously, he's been held back by injuries, and nobody is going to argue that his goalscoring could be improved upon. You can't pull a rabbit from the hat unless there's already a rabbit in the hat, and for me, I'd argue there's a good shot at there being a rabbit here as a Premier-League-level first team player even if he won't score countless goals. We look like a better team when he plays.

Carles Gil never had that kind of presence. He was too slow for a start.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Agree on a lot of that but we can't really afford to send him on loan as our options are Samatta and then Davis or Wes who has not been stellar and who might not be fully fit until some time later in the autumn.

There is no way he should be our main striker - but as a support striker, bringing other people into the game I think he would be immense. Really want to see him get a prolonged run in the team so we can see what he can do. 

Edited by TheStagMan

5 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

There is no way he should be our main striker - but as a support striker, bringing other people into the game I think he would be immense. Really want to see him get a prolonged run in the team so we can see what he can do. 

How can we know?

He's not started a single game in the league yet. He may surprise a few people if given a chance and if he can stay injury free.

I hope he stays fit and we use him.

One thing I've heard from other players is how strong he is and in the fleeting appearances he's made in the first team we can see he holds the ball up really well.

He's pretty quick too!

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How can we know?

He's not started a single game in the league yet. He may surprise a few people if given a chance and if he can stay injury free.

Now isn't the time for gambling. Throw him in by all means to see if he can be worthy addition, but don't give him the responsibility of having our season resting on his shoulders.

• Like 1

Â