Keinan Davis

a-k

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How can we know?

He's not started a single game in the league yet. He may surprise a few people if given a chance and if he can stay injury free.

Because he showed he wasn’t a main striker in the championship where he did have a run and had 28 league appearances and only scored 2 goals.  If Wes is criticised for 5 league goals in 21 at Premier League level then Davis is blown out the water for 2 goals in 28 in the league below it.

Happy to use in conjunction with Samatta but not as main striker.  He can do all the barging off opposition defenders he wants but they’ll be delighted coming up against a striker of those stats.  They’ll be even more delighted walking off the pitch with no goals conceded but some big bruises rather than goals conceded and their hair still in place.

Convinced he can be an effective player.

This end of season is huge for him because he can jump ahead of Wes in the pecking order. Also if he has a good 6 months he'll be in a great position to get a fat contract off someone.

People praising Davis has nothing to do with the clichéd idea that players get better in people's minds when they're out injured, Davis whenever he plays always performs well and never lets us down. When fit he's one of our better players, whether that's more of a comment on the rest of our squad or on Davis I'm not sure, but has it stands I don't think that we can afford to lose him, either out on loan or permanently unless we sign much better than what we already have. He's underrated,  possibly because people focus too much on the goals aspect, but his lack of goals doesn't take away from the fact he still contributes more than most and given a run of games I think he'd add more goals to his game anyway.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because he showed he wasn’t a main striker in the championship where he did have a run and had 28 league appearances and only scored 2 goals.  If Wes is criticised for 5 league goals in 21 at Premier League level then Davis is blown out the water for 2 goals in 28 in the league below it.

Happy to use in conjunction with Samatta but not as main striker.  He can do all the barging off opposition defenders he wants but they’ll be delighted coming up against a striker of those stats.  They’ll be even more delighted walking off the pitch with no goals conceded but some big bruises rather than goals conceded and their hair still in place.

Not easy to play up front under Steve Bruce.

Look at the front men at Newcastle this season.  Maximin, Almiron and Jolinton only 5 goals between them so far. I don't even know what to say, it's pathetic.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How can we know?

He's not started a single game in the league yet. He may surprise a few people if given a chance and if he can stay injury free.

Well, exactly, we don't know - therefore he should not be at this point!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Look at the front men at Newcastle this season.  Maximin, Almiron and Jolinton only 5 goals between them so far. I don't even know what to say, it's pathetic.

Yeah, not having that as an excuse, we were 3rd top scoring team with 72 goals that season at 1.56 goals per game.  Scott Hogan who is slaughtered by Villa fans scored 9 goals and in his short spell Grabban score 8 goals in half the games Keinan played, even James Chester score 4 goals.  Bruce was hard to play under I give you that but as one of the bigger teams in the Championship that season, we scored substantial amount of goals, Davis got significant games and his goal scoring was very poor.

As i say I hope i'm wrong and I want him to play upfront with Samatta but I seriously dont want him on his own upfront.  As a support striker he could do well.  I just dont think we should rely on his goals at such a risky time of the season when history is against him on that fact.  Let's use his strengths now, which is not as the main striker and let Samatta be the main striker and Davis the support striker.  Then decide after next season if Keinan is worth the investment after giving him another season hopefully without injuries.

If he could add a real tally of goals to his name, he would be a wonderful striker and that's what I am hopeful for.  If he continues at next to no goals season after season, like he does in the past at all levels then club will have to decide if he's worth a place in any starting XI especially if we desire to be a team more than a relegation candidate every year.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's not, our season rests on Mings, McGinn, Grealish, Samatta and probably Davis to a lesser extent.

From what I can see there's definitely a player there in Davis.

It’s a team game, not just those players that you named

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It’s a team game, not just those players that you named

but like many team sports, when you arent at the top then your team generally consists of players that influence games and the rest that just make up the numbers and could be replaced by any number of players in the squad, I think what ZZ is trying to say.  Occasionally one of the nobodies does something but generally it's the key players that influence games and will be the most impactful of whether we survive or not. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think that Saint-Maximin in particular is excellent, he has some very nice skills, great natural ability.

Joelinton cost them £40m, he was always going to have big expectations on his shoulders. He has popped up with a few goals, he will do better next season I think 

Almiron has provided a few goals and assists, I think us fans of all clubs expect far too much of our players, they are not superhuman

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

but like many team sports, when you arent at the top then your team generally consists of players that influence games and the rest that just make up the numbers and could be replaced by any number of players in the squad, I think what ZZ is trying to say.  Occasionally one of the nobodies does something but generally it's the key players that influence games and will be the most impactful of whether we survive or not. 

I think you are correct 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Davis is joining the great list of players who improve in reputation from the fans in the inverse relationship over the amount of time he has actually played for us.  Like Carles Gil.

Yes has been injured and yes I think he has some potential but the fact is that is has scored  a total of two league goals for us in the best part of four seasons he has been at the club.

I would like him to stay but he badly needs 1) to stay fit and 2) go out on loan to a championship club for a season and see how he gets on.

That valuable commodity called perspective, at work.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Convinced he can be an effective player.

This end of season is huge for him because he can jump ahead of Wes in the pecking order. Also if he has a good 6 months he'll be in a great position to get a fat contract off someone.

Yes If used correctly I think theres a player there, problem is I think weve all but used him wrongly so far. I want to see Davis play midfield, you can just see a midfielder in him because hes not effective at scoring goals, yet hes effective at many other things.

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

Yes If used correctly I think theres a player there, problem is I think weve all but used him wrongly so far. I want to see Davis play midfield, you can just see a midfielder in him because hes not effective at scoring goals, yet hes effective at many other things.

I don't think he has quick enough feet, for midfield......having said that, could he be any worse?

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Jackie Chan What???? - Meme on Imgur

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I don't think he has quick enough feet, for midfield......having said that, could he be any worse?

I think he would chase more balls down, certainly think he may be injured less. I do like his relentless energy he seems to have TRO, it's his taste for the ball and never give up attitude that I think would make him perfect for midfield.

Davis gets about the pitch alot, if any player is like Tammy in terms of trying to do it all on the pitch, I'd say next to Grealish maybe Davis is up and down doing his bit. Id like to see him focus abit more on chasing balls, cutting them out, applying pressure and less straining himself to score goals, I think hed be better at midfield duty.

Davis does have quick feet,. Not sure why you need quick feet to be a midfielder. He'd potentially make for a wonderful midfielder and often drops deep enough that he's virtually playing as one anyway. In pre-season he played on the wing and played very well.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Davis does have quick feet,. Not sure why you need quick feet to be a midfielder. He'd potentially make for a wonderful midfielder and often drops deep enough that he's virtually playing as one anyway. In pre-season he played on the wing and played very well.

When I've seen the lad play hes always at the guy with the ball, he never stops trying to take that ball from players.

That kind of player you want on the pitch, hes exactly what weve been missing in midfield,weve lacked the kind of player who can pressure, chase and cause opposition to make mistakes, out of all our players I think maybe Davis is the key. Davis turn speed seems pretty darn fast another reason why hes perfect for cutting balls out, while opposition are knocking the ball around him, eventually someone will mess up the faster he turns and runs at them.

There is alot weve been missing in midfield, our cut out interception rate is a wreck and needs urgently addressing.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Well we differ.....I think quick feet and deft  ball control is a prerequisite for a good midfielder, particularly when they get caught in tight spots, in a duel.

Edited by TRO

Â