The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

And while I'm at it: A possible new manager bounce has been discussed several times, as in: does it actually exist? And if so, for how long - and by how much - may a team profit?

Well, how about a finally having an actual manager bounce? Hopefully for much longer, and to a greater degree?

I thought it was rather telling when they interviewed Richards after the game and they asked him what Garde had changed his answer was "get us organised".

That coming from Sherwood's captain and one of only two players to show any signs of being disappointed at his exit. That is telling and very very damning.

It was just one game and we shouldn't get carried away there is still a big gap and much work to do but it was hugely impressive given Garde has had less than a week in the country and just three training sessions.

The side selected and the performance it produced really did show Sherwood up for what he is, a charlatan. 

Sherwood tried to blame everyone else for his own inadequacies and in my view stopped picking certain players to try and support his claim.

Today showed Sherwood up and KMac to a far lesser extent.

There are still issues, Guzan is a constant worry, Clark can't do that week in week out, Hutton hard as he tries is limited and we are really short of quality up front. Those are things that need addressing but today we can revel in the fact we actually have a manager and we've a chance of staying up.

Our season just started, bring it on.

Totally agree on all points made, the only thing I can add is we did the basics very well today, passing, movement, possession, holding it up and, probably most important, winning that second ball. Football fundamentals done very well today, I don't mind we didn't score, because everything else was very good and we can build on it.

• Like 1

I thought it was rather telling when they interviewed Richards after the game and they asked him what Garde had changed his answer was "get us organised".

That coming from Sherwood's captain and one of only two players to show any signs of being disappointed at his exit. That is telling and very very damning.

It was just one game and we shouldn't get carried away there is still a big gap and much work to do but it was hugely impressive given Garde has had less than a week in the country and just three training sessions.

The side selected and the performance it produced really did show Sherwood up for what he is, a charlatan. 

Sherwood tried to blame everyone else for his own inadequacies and in my view stopped picking certain players to try and support his claim.

Today showed Sherwood up and KMac to a far lesser extent.

There are still issues, Guzan is a constant worry, Clark can't do that week in week out, Hutton hard as he tries is limited and we are really short of quality up front. Those are things that need addressing but today we can revel in the fact we actually have a manager and we've a chance of staying up.

Our season just started, bring it on.

Totally agree, Sir!

I love his comments on luck. Yes we were lucky, but you create luck by the effort you put in and your attitude on the pitch. Seems to be very swiftly trying to put a stop to the down and out mindset that creeps in when things aren't going great for us.

And while I'm at it: A possible new manager bounce has been discussed several times, as in: does it actually exist? And if so, for how long - and by how much - may a team profit?

Well, how about a finally having an actual manager bounce? Hopefully for much longer, and to a greater degree?

To a large extent it represents regression to the mean. There are some managers who, when arriving at a club, really do inspire a turnaround in results. I know he's not particularly popular around these parts, but the classic example is Pulis, who has in his last two jobs overseen increases in points totals far beyond that which would be predicted by reversion to the mean. Hopefully, Garde can do likewise - a very very very long way to go yet, but no one can deny that was a positive start. 

To a large extent it represents regression to the mean. There are some managers who, when arriving at a club, really do inspire a turnaround in results. I know he's not particularly popular around these parts, but the classic example is Pulis, who has in his last two jobs overseen increases in points totals far beyond that which would be predicted by reversion to the mean. Hopefully, Garde can do likewise - a very very very long way to go yet, but no one can deny that was a positive start. 

Well, yes, I know that the new manager syndrome sometimes kicks in, and sometimes it just doesn't. Too many variables involved. Even so, you would expect a short period of players putting in an extra shift in order to impress the new manager, so a brief bounce should be expected, even though it might peter out into nothing significant afterwards.

But I was really on about actually having a proper manager, someone aware of the old saying that round pegs should go in round holes, as opposed to someone telling the pegs that he wants them to express themselves and then leaving them to dig their own holes to the best of their individual ability...

Posting in here as there's no match thread on Tapatalk.If I had to pick a team, it would be that one he's put out. We're blatantly missing a proper striker and Gestede for Sinclair is the one change I'd make. Plenty of opportunities to whip it in but there's no-one to aim for in there.

Very encouraging first half there!

???? There was a match thread on Tapatalk.

Simply wouldn't show on mine. The only threads I could access was the Spurs and Soton ones.

The Man City match thread is in the 'Current Season' sub folder, not where the usual active match threads are. I guess even the mods are sick of this new VT :D

• Like 1

Finally we have a manager who picks the best team available IMHO. Driving up, my son asked me who I would like to start. I said the exact line up man for man. :-) The only doubt I had was Clarke, preferring Okore if he was fit. So when I saw the team announced I was pretty shocked!

We obviously have problems up front but for the first time in ages we looked a half decent team.

Still don't know if Garde can save us but have high hopes with him as our manager over the long term.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

That eleven was the exact team I wanted. Okore could still be lacking fitness, Grealish has had a dip in form, Traore still looks very raw and Gestede has been outplayed by Sinclair and Ayew lately.

The main difference I saw today, was that we actually had a game plan. Too many times this season, it's looked like the team have just been told "Go out there and play!", which isn't a game plan at all. Today we were tight at the back, we rarely panicked in possession, we tried to pass it around nicely but also looked for incisive forward passes, which was most effective when Gil, Ayew, Amavi or Sinclair were on the ball. If this is just the start of what Garde is bringing, then I'm very, very optimistic.

Remi Garde's claret and blue army!

• Like 1

Just the fact that he picked the kind of team the majority of us would pick is a great start. If anything, it proves what we've all suspected, that the new players are good enough, it was just Sherwood being an arsehole that prevented them from playing. 

• Like 2

Posting in here as there's no match thread on Tapatalk.If I had to pick a team, it would be that one he's put out. We're blatantly missing a proper striker and Gestede for Sinclair is the one change I'd make. Plenty of opportunities to whip it in but there's no-one to aim for in there.

Very encouraging first half there!

???? There was a match thread on Tapatalk.

Simply wouldn't show on mine. The only threads I could access was the Spurs and Soton ones.

The Man City match thread is in the 'Current Season' sub folder, not where the usual active match threads are. I guess even the mods are sick of this new VT [emoji3]

I don't use the folders menu, just the 'timeline'.

Well what a great start for Remi.  At last it seems we have someone with a proper footballing brain making the decisions.  I'm sure we will still have frustrating and bad days but what I think sticks out the most is that Remi had set us up with proper tactics that were flexible too. 

Brian Little said that it looked like we were playing in 15 minute spells and adjusting accordingly which is something we just haven't seen at Villa in recent memory...and it wasn't just the flexibility in tactics but the fact that the flexibility was effective...and this in just a short space of time. 

Now we have 2 weeks for him to embed his philosophy further and for Duverne to get these guys closer to the fitness levels that you would expect of a Premier League football team.  I think we have the best chance of staying up now than we did 2 weeks ago!

What a waste. What a sad, sad waste of 3 months of the season. 

We finally put out the team most of us have wanted to see and just look better, unsurprisingly.  Glad we've got an international break now because when we get back we can really see what Remi and this side can do.

A long way to go but at least we're facing in the right direction now. 

I hope today put to bed this myth that these players are playing as well as they can.
They've been horrendously mismanaged this season.

I hope Remi can keep up the kind of selections and performances we've seen today.

• Like 3

What annoys me in when pundits say we lack quality. We clearly don't.

Could Sunderland have played at we did in the first half? Granted it was hardly Barcelona, but we kept the ball against a hugely talented side. Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth, Newcastle even, don't have the players we have.

We've been mismanaged, and we have an imbalanced squad.

But that can be rectified with a good manager and investment in January.

Let's hope Garde is the man to take us forward.

Â