The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

There's a reason that those Sunday Supplement guys work for the Sunday Supplement, it's because they would be **** professional football managers.

They spend their entire lives in press conferences, talking to those in the game and watching matches so I'm not so quick to dismiss their view.  I respect the view of a lot of those who appear on SS (some notsomuch) They get lots of things right but many things wrong too - I hope (and think) that they are wrong about Remi

Don't forget a lot of these credible journalists work for the tabloids.

It's a bit like saying you're a qualified banker when you actually work in the sales department at QuickQuid Loans......

• Like 1

I've got no idea how after 1 game they can decide he is a bad appointment considering its widely accepted that he did a very good job at Lyon.

I'd be interested to know who they thought would have been better. I bet they are British......

They thought Alladyce was a better option

Surely Sunday Supplement was on before the game?

It was but I recorded it and watched it today

Don't forget a lot of these credible journalists work for the tabloids.

I'm not saying they're right but an outside perspective is interesting

Some work for tabloids, some for broadsheets......some have an axe to grind and some talk a lot of sense

Just another view

Everyone I've heard from who has actually worked with Remi (from managers - Wenger, Houllier; to players - Ian Wright and Keown etc) all seem to really rate him.  I'm happy to go with that.  And as for Big Sam - what's the point in saying he would be better?  He was already in a new job.  May as well say Guardiola or Simeone would be better.

• Like 2

Really big fan.

A sensible team selection and subs and shock horror, we look like half a side.

He doesn't take a backward step when given yet more stupid questions like the selection of French players.

Plenty of work to do. About time we got a break in keeping the clean sheet, but City should have scored at least two.

I think we need to bring in a forward in Jan because we're going to have to score a couple to win most games, I'm unsure of the solidity of this defence.

The way I see it is the only way you get results against teams like Man City is with a bit of luck.

Unless they turn up and play a stinker, then you're never going to get a result unless you get the rub of the green on a couple of occasions.

We played well enough so that that bit of luck meant we got a point as opposed to a narrow defeat, rather than only being beaten 3 or 4 nil as opposed to 5 or 6.

With Sherwood in charged we'd have lost that game. I have no doubt.

Everyone I've heard from who has actually worked with Remi (from managers - Wenger, Houllier; to players - Ian Wright and Keown etc) all seem to really rate him.  I'm happy to go with that.  And as for Big Sam - what's the point in saying he would be better?  He was already in a new job.  May as well say Guardiola or Simeone would be better.

Not sure if this was in response to my post or not?? I too am happy to go with Garde - Alladyce was probably the safe choice and I think if he had been in Fox's plan we may have moved quicker to get him but if Garde can keep us up this season I think that he could well be the type of guy to build something longer term. 

I was buzzing yesterday but after re-watching the match this morning and also the comments of the press guys on Sunday Supplement, I've been trying to reassess the situation without my Villa-tinted spectacles on

Firstly, I like what I've seen of Garde so far - calm, assured, professional.  A massive change from Sherwood. I don't know a lot about him really and I'm somewhat concerned both that he has been out of the game for 18 months and also that he left Lyon supposedly due to the mounting pressure, both red flags for me.   I'll be happier when the remainder of his coaching staff turn up (perhaps once Lyon are out of Europe).  However, he absolutely has my full support and I feel that he might be the man we are waiting for. Time will tell. 

It was a little concerning that the Sunday Supplement guys were pretty unanimous that he was a "bad appointment" - we can dismiss their view all we like, but they watch a lot of football and speak to a lot of people. I'm in the VT bubble and have been carried away by the positivity here but it will take a few results like yesterday to make the nagging fears go away

Secondly, we were really really lucky to come away yesterday with a point - two or three-nil would not have been an unfair result.  Some will say "You make your own luck"  or "the harder we work the luckier we get" and I get that but notwithstanding we were very very lucky.

The press guys were also adamant that we had wasted £55m in the summer - on this, even without my villa googles - I'm not so sure.  Given the chance to play and a manager with a bit of confidence in them I think we saw the first signs of what kind of players they could be.  Vertout, Gana, Ayew and Amavi all showed glimpses of what they can deliver. They all need work, especially Amavi in defence, but against the Bournemouth's, Norwich's, WBAs of this world I think they will show their worth.  

A little off the wall but I would be tempted to bring Cissoko back and try Amavi in MF in front of him? Who knows

We could do with strengthening in a number of positions (GK, CB, RB) but if I was Garde, I would push the boat out in January to bring in a mobile Benteke/Bony-type CF (much easier said than done).  Maybe Remi can plug into his knowledge of French football and uncover a gem

All in all a decent (but lucky) start. I'd love Remi to prove the media guys and ex-pros wrong.  We need to target 4 points from the next two games to keep the momentum going.

I really wouldn't care about what the guys on Sunday Supplement say. I doubt they've watched a single game from the French league between them. They all probably said Sherwood was a good appointment for us. 

Regarding Allardyce, I would happily bet that we will finish above Sunderland. I'll admit that I would have taken him before he went to Sunderland (I would have taken anyone to be honest) but I'm delighted we have Remi instead.

I really wouldn't care about what the guys on Sunday Supplement say. I doubt they've watched a single game from the French league between them. They all probably said Sherwood was a good appointment for us. 

It's different guys each week. Some make sense, some don't.  Some thought Sherwood was a good choice and some thought he was a complete chancer.  One guy last week destroyed Sherwood and had been consistent in his view thoughout

Garde represents a risk compared to say Alladyce.  Fox got it totally wrong with Sherwood, we are all hoping that he has got it totally right with Garde.

I like what little I've seen so far and am 100% behind Garde in a way that i never was with Sherwood.

• Like 1

Personally I'd rather had Fat Sam come in and then bring in Garde 3 years after once we're mid-table fodder to kick us on. 

Sam Allardyce isn't that good.  I just don't get this.

I'm saying it now - Sunderland are going down.

Personally I'd rather had Fat Sam come in and then bring in Garde 3 years after once we're mid-table fodder to kick us on. 

Sam's not doing particularly good so far though is he. Apart from the anomaly that is the Tyne-Wear derby they've been just as poor as they were at the start of the season.

Sam's not doing particularly good so far though is he. Apart from the anomaly that is the Tyne-Wear derby they've been just as poor as they were at the start of the season.

They were terrible in that game too.  Newcastle were by far the better side, even when down to 10 men.  I think Sunderland had 3 shots and scored them all.

I don't know talk about Moyes and Sam Allardyce just doesn't fit in what the direction of which the club has taken.

Even if both wanted the job I still believe we would've looked elsewhere (Remi still)

The recruitment, personnel and the way the club is run in my opinion suits a foreign manager better.

• Like 2

They were terrible in that game too.  Newcastle were by far the better side, even when down to 10 men.  I think Sunderland had 3 shots and scored them all.

I meant the anomaly as in they seem to win it every year but yes, I agree. I watched that game it was one of the weirdest 3-0 wins I've ever witnessed.

Yes we had luck in the game which no-one is doubting however if you cannot be impressed that this manager has only had 3 training sessions, in those sessions he managed to have some sort of organisation to stop City, players following instructions and being very disciplined. There will not be a team in the Prem that City don't cut open. This is just the base to work from, we can keep shape and I'm sure against the lesser sides we will offer more of an attacking threat. Lets not forget this group of players confidence, everyone predicting a defeat. As many have mentioned if Tim or KMac were in charge it would have been a mauling.

• Like 4

I don't know talk about Moyes and Sam Allardyce just doesn't fit in what the direction of which the club has taken.

Even if both wanted the job I still believe we would've looked elsewhere (Remi still)

The recruitment, personnel and the way the club is run in my opinion suits a foreign manager better.

Yeah but is it the right time to make these changes? It could see us relegated as a club.

Just playing devils advocate. 

Yeah but is it the right time to make these changes? It could see us relegated as a club.

Just playing devils advocate. 

Don't know really but the choice has been made so as supporters we just have to go along with it.

Personally I think it is the right model and I have no problem with it however you need the right people involved for it to be successful i.e someone a proper manager (Garde) as opposed to a clown (Sherwood).

I still maintain the recruitment we did this summer is a good one but again you need the right person in charge to get the best out of them.

• Like 3

Â