The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Actions always speak louder than words.

i have listened to many managers over the years and they are all well versed at talking a good fight.

i listened to an interview with Paul Lambert & Alan Mcanally in Germany and Paul came across very articulate.

conversely Ron Saunders hardly said a word in interviews.

its what they do that counts.

Edited by TRO

All I want from Sunday is some evidence that the players are responding and, for the first time this season, the manager has some sort of system in mind.

I'd like to see the players looking like they know what their job is and that they are playing in positions that suit them.

I don't really care what the score is. If we get anything it's a bonus.

Absolutely, just a good performance where the players dig in and a demonstration of coherence and an instilled belief we can get out of this shit will do me.  Something to look forward to for the rest of the season (continued improvement at a steady pace) instead of complete no hope, devoid of any idea dross, that we're used to.

• Like 4

conversely Ron Saunders hardly said a word in interviews.

Do you want to bet against him?

The single greatest response to an interviewer EVER. Gave me goosebumps at the time, still does.

• Like 2

If we go down you just know some pundit's going to blame it on the fact that we've got an American owner, a French manager and a lot of foreign players.

And I wouldn't totally disagree !!!

But the overriding factor is the calibre of the staff - not the nationality. 

At the moment throughout the club the calibre is very much unproven

Personally not listened to his incoming Interview.

I will judge by performances on the pitch and Results and whether I will be Watching Premier League Football next year or needing to wait five exta minutes at final score

I will judge by performances on the pitch and Results and whether I will be Watching Premier League Football next year or needing to wait five exta minutes at final score

Just results for me.

weve had enough BS - about plans, philosophies and where will be in 5 years. Not interested - lets win a few home games 

• Like 4

Just results for me.

weve had enough BS - about plans, philosophies and where will be in 5 years. Not interested - lets win a few home games 

Totally agree with you again hippo, we must not make a habit of this!

Put them in a framework, get them working their tatties off, move the ball quickly and in numbers, they have the talent to put points on the board.

They have to, right?

Banning speaking french? Hmmm. Can't say I see that as a good move.

You are probably right. I mean it definitely makes more sense to have poor communication on the pitch, in the dressing room and at BMH.

In a potentially divided dressing room short of confidence ensuring everyone speaks the same language is absolutely guaranteed to make things worse.

Especially when it's a language none of them can speak. It's certainly it going to help those French players adjust to loving and working in England.

What a fool Garde is, I can't believe he hasn't followed Wenger's example and made everyone only speak French. Ray Palour, Merson and Tony Adams all clearly benefited from it.

So to ensure communication is solid, languages need to be banned? 

Surely a better way to increase communication and indeed team morale might be for the English players to help the french players speak English and at the same time gabby and Co could learn another language themselves. 

I didn't say languages need to be banned, I rather suspect Garde didn't either but it makes for a good headline especially for certain elements of the media. 

Are you seriously trying to argue that the rest of the squad should learn French, despite probably having no grounding in it in order to help these players make the transition. And that that is a better idea than the French players, most of whom already actually speak English and all of whom have at least some English use that language. The language of the country they are now living and working.

Never mind the fact there are more English speakers than French, lets cancel training two days a week and get a language tutor in and they can learn to ask where the bakery is. I'm sure that will help us mark on corners.

What about the other nationalities? Do the rest of the squad need to learn Spanish as well as French?

I'm sorry but this criticism is just a little daft and actually seems like criticism for the sake of it.

Wenger insisted on English back in 1996 and so i'd imagine does just about every other overseas manager working in this country, just as I'm sure is the case all over Europe the domestic language is the language of the dressing room. 

How would a little clique of players speaking in French to each other help the morale exactly?

He didn't say "banning" though. The press have twisted his words to make it sound stricter than he said it.

Pochettino (sp?) couldn't speak a word of English but now he does (albeit still not fluent) so he could communicate with the players - as I am sure the Spurs non british also learned to speak English, but then the press didn't report it as it has here and I'm sure Spurs fans didn't jump on it (or would have) if it had been reported as such. There is enough to knock Villa with but this is not one of the things. Even Pellegrini has improved his English too as I'm sure have the foreigners in that team.

Pochettino did speak English (to a degree), he just chose not to in interviews so he couldn't be misinterpreted until he'd improved it.

He was speaking english to his players long before he was to the media.

Not that that's relevant here as Garde's English is clearly very good.

The only thing I can ask for for Sunday's game is Remi to put out a strong line-up including Gil, Ayew, Amavi and Gueye. At least it would show he's identified our strongest players which is clearly something Sherwood struggled with.

• Like 1

I don't think Garde is saying no French, I think all he's saying is speak one set language in the dressing room where the team are meant to be united. I know for a fact that if 7 players are sat in one group chatting away and the rest are in another all because of a language divide the players are split before the match even starts. You're not just a team on the pitch, but in the dressing room, on the coach, on the training pitch etc. Garde isn't banning French he just thinks there will be more unity in the camp if there isn't a division in the ranks which makes sense to me, and a division is likely what we have at Villa or he wouldn't be bringing it up. 

The only thing I can ask for for Sunday's game is Remi to put out a strong line-up including Gil, Ayew, Amavi and Gueye. At least it would show he's identified our strongest players which is clearly something Sherwood struggled with.

I think Sherwood knew it, and so did K-Mac. Both were just pissed off at the board they didn't get the players THEY wanted. 
Clubs a joke. 

Every fan knows we haven't played our best XI yet and ultimately, it will probably be the reason we're relegated.

Â