The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Banning speaking french? Hmmm. Can't say I see that as a good move.

In the dressing room, pitch and training, presumably. I'm sure they're allowed to go home to their loved ones and speak French ;)

Exactly I fully support this 100%, great decision Garde! He also stressed that the english players have to talk slowly too for the foreign ones so they understand. This shows he is being impartial, unlike sherwood who bloody made our new recruits feel like outcasts

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

You are probably right. I mean it definitely makes more sense to have poor communication on the pitch, in the dressing room and at BMH.

In a potentially divided dressing room short of confidence ensuring everyone speaks the same language is absolutely guaranteed to make things worse.

Especially when it's a language none of them can speak. It's certainly it going to help those French players adjust to loving and working in England.

What a fool Garde is, I can't believe he hasn't followed Wenger's example and made everyone only speak French. Ray Palour, Merson and Tony Adams all clearly benefited from it.

So to ensure communication is solid, languages need to be banned? 

Surely a better way to increase communication and indeed team morale might be for the English players to help the french players speak English and at the same time gabby and Co could learn another language themselves. 

In the dressing room, pitch and training, presumably. I'm sure they're allowed to go home to their loved ones and speak French ;)

Eaxvtly I fully support this 100%, great decision Garde! He also stressed that the english players have to talk slowly too for the foreign ones so they understand. This shows he is being impartial, unlike sherwood who bloody made our new recruits feel like outcasts

The foreign ones :).

Speak a bit slower lads, theyl get ya eventually! Jesus wept. 

At no point during my french test did the teacher speaking slower make me any less clueless to what she was on about.

You are probably right. I mean it definitely makes more sense to have poor communication on the pitch, in the dressing room and at BMH.

In a potentially divided dressing room short of confidence ensuring everyone speaks the same language is absolutely guaranteed to make things worse.

Especially when it's a language none of them can speak. It's certainly it going to help those French players adjust to loving and working in England.

What a fool Garde is, I can't believe he hasn't followed Wenger's example and made everyone only speak French. Ray Palour, Merson and Tony Adams all clearly benefited from it.

Surely a better way to increase communication and indeed team morale might be for the English players to help the french players speak English and at the same time gabby and Co could learn another language themselves. 

I didn't say languages need to be banned, I rather suspect Garde didn't either but it makes for a good headline especially for certain elements of the media. 

Are you seriously trying to argue that the rest of the squad should learn French, despite probably having no grounding in it in order to help these players make the transition. And that that is a better idea than the French players, most of whom already actually speak English and all of whom have at least some English use that language. The language of the country they are now living and working.

Never mind the fact there are more English speakers than French, lets cancel training two days a week and get a language tutor in and they can learn to ask where the bakery is. I'm sure that will help us mark on corners.

What about the other nationalities? Do the rest of the squad need to learn Spanish as well as French?

I'm sorry but this criticism is just a little daft and actually seems like criticism for the sake of it.

Wenger insisted on English back in 1996 and so i'd imagine does just about every other overseas manager working in this country, just as I'm sure is the case all over Europe the domestic language is the language of the dressing room. 

How would a little clique of players speaking in French to each other help the morale exactly?

Edited by TrentVilla
  • Like 3

We're not on a foreign exchange program here. We're trying to win football matches, if that is easier done with all players singing from the same hymn sheet and in the same language then that's how it is.

• Like 1

I didn't say languages need to be banned, I rather suspect Garde didn't either but it makes for a good headline especially for certain elements of the media. 

Are you seriously trying to argue that the rest of the squad should learn French, despite probably having no grounding in it in order to help these players make the transition. And that that is a better idea than the French players, most of whom already actually speak English and all of whom have at least some English use that language. The language of the country they are now living and working.

Never mind the fact there are more English speakers than French, lets cancel training two days a week and get a language tutor in and they can learn to ask where the bakery is. I'm sure that will help us mark on corners.

What about the other nationalities? Do the rest of the squad need to learn Spanish as well as French?

I'm sorry but this criticism is just a little daft and actually seems like criticism for the sake of it.

Wenger insisted on English back in 1996 and so i'd imagine does just about every other overseas manager working in this country, just as I'm sure is the case all over Europe the domestic language is the language of the dressing room. 

Sorry Woody but I agree with TV here. If Gabby and Westwood went to France would the rest of the squad be expected to speak English to cater them? 

Isn't that exactly what he said?

That is exactly what will be happening. Garde said that the English lads have a responsibility in speaking more slowly etc.

Garde is not an inexperienced fool in this regard. He went to Arsenal when Wenger first got there as a French speaker in a predominantly English speaking squad of players. He will have experienced what the non English speaking lads are going through and know the best and quickest way for them to get up to speed with speaking English, how to fully integrate them and as whole bring the squad together. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

They can speak Klingon for all I care as long as they start winning games!

This coach needs to work out the best 11 quickly and without any "who brought who shit" as we saw with the previous tosser.

Start with;

Guzan

Richards Okore Clark Amavi 

Sanchez Gana 

Traore Gil Grealish 

Ayew 

And then move things around from there. He still then has player's like Gestede, Hutton, Bacuna, Veretout, Westwood, Gardner as well as a few of the youngsters he can bring in.

If he continues with Richardson, Lescott, Gabby then we will only lose more games. Oh and whatever else he does he must not try using CNZ as he's the most useless player we gave bar Lescott.

• Like 1

How would a little clique of players speaking in French to each other help the morale exactly?

I think you've missed the point completely. I'm not saying that the team shouldnt speak English. I said in an earlier post that it's important to recognise that AVFC is an english club but we should also celebrate diversity.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that gabby needs to or actually could learn French. I'm not even sure he could speak any slower either. What I am suggesting tho is that instead of saying 'the english players need to speak slower' it might have been wiser to say something along the lines of:

'We have a range of different cultures and languages in the dressing room however it's important that we can all sing from the same hymn sheet. The predominant language in the dressing room will of course be English and everybody is working towards that. The english lads are helping out the french lads and I think the english lads are even learning a bit of french themselves'. 

That would certainly sound a bit more welcoming than 

'The english lads need to speak slower'.

People can bang on about me supposedly being negative for the sake of it like they have for the past 3/4 years. 

I stand by that it is mote realism than negativity and need nothing more than the premier league table to support that imo.

I think you've missed the point completely. I'm not saying that the team shouldnt speak English. I said in an earlier post that it's important to recognise that AVFC is an english club but we should also celebrate diversity.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that gabby needs to or actually could learn French. I'm not even sure he could speak any slower either. What I am suggesting tho is that instead of saying 'the english players need to speak slower' it might have been wiser to say something along the lines of:

'We have a range of different cultures and languages in the dressing room however it's important that we can all sing from the same hymn sheet. The predominant language in the dressing room will of course be English and everybody is working towards that. The english lads are helping out the french lads and I think the english lads are even learning a bit of french themselves'. 

No, I've not missed the point at all. If anyone is missing a point its you and its your own.

Edited by TrentVilla

Isn't that essentially what he said? I think you are overly worrying about semantics. 

People can bang on about me supposedly being negative for the sake of it like they have for the past 3/4 years. 

I stand by that it is mote realism than negativity and need nothing more than the premier league table to support that imo.

Can you blame us?

We've got a new manager, he's given a 10 minute interview, and you've picked up on one sentence, and twisted it into a negative.

That's not realism. That's cherry picking things to suit a negative view.

• Like 1

Can you blame us?

We've got a new manager, he's given a 10 minute interview, and you've picked up on one sentence, and twisted it into a negative.

That's not realism. That's cherry picking things to suit a negative view.

I haven't twisted anything. I've merely said that it could have been worded better. And it could.

No, I've not missed the point at all. If anyone is missing a point its you and its your own.

Not really sure why you've highlighted that part and subsequently taking it out of context.

Just because gabby doesnt need to learn French whilst he's helping the french lads speak English, it doesn't mean him and aston villa wouldn't benefit from it.

I've always wondered why negativity is always repackaged as realism :lol: 

• Like 1

Â