The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

For me it's a 27 game season starting this weekend, and we need 36 points. We've got to be 100% behind him.

That is 9 wins, 9 draws and 9 defeats. That is a big ask IMO considering it's going to take him a few games to fully get his ideas across. I wonder if it's a step too far considering we've already dropped a lot of vital points from 'winnable' home games this season.

Could any of you see us winning 9, 10 or 11 games this season?

I'd say he aced that interview. Did we really just have Tim Bloody Sherwood as our manager? Holy Christ.

No although we were paying him for a while.

we could be paying for it for some time to come.

For me it's a 27 game season starting this weekend, and we need 36 points. We've got to be 100% behind him.

That is 9 wins, 9 draws and 9 defeats. That is a big ask IMO considering it's going to take him a few games to fully get his ideas across. I wonder if it's a step too far considering we've already dropped a lot of vital points from 'winnable' home games this season.

Could any of you see us winning 9, 10 or 11 games this season?

The wy im trying to look at it is, normally 1 point per game (38points) is good enough to keep you up. With 27 games left, he needs 3 wins in top of that average.

I agree that won't be easy, but its not the impossible task that it first seems.

Edited by av1

I liked his demeanour when I saw his interview on TV this morning. He seems to have a more likeable style than the arrogance of the last manager and the arsey style of Lambert and O'Neil. 

I like the way he said that the French players will have to just get on with it because English will be spoken in the dressing room. Maybe there's been a hint of self pity in them since they arrived and he's been made aware of it so he's letting them know from the start that it's not acceptable? Who knows? 

Let's hope he can get the team playing well because they're better than what they've shown so far. 

Even though Garde will not have had much time with the players Sunday's team can go a long way to lifting the gloom from the club. Pick an adventurous hard working team that fights until they drop and regardless of the result I think most fans will be happy. If he sticks with a KMac/TS type team and I think the atmosphere will be flat!  Gana Ayew Amavi Gil have to start probably even Veretout and Okore. Traore needs to be on the bench at least. It'll be nice to have a manager who's only agenda is to get the squad playing well and not scapegoating players. 

Banning speaking french? Hmmm. Can't say I see that as a good move.

I like this - he's banned the French players from speaking French and told the English players to speak more slowly. That's indirectly saying he knows that there is a split in the dressing room and he's not having it. If we're going to go forward then it needs to be as a team. 

It does seem that the French players haven't settled, either because they haven't been made welcome or because they've chosen not to integrate with their team mates - MacDonald's team selection suggests it's the latter. A French manager will be helpful for them, but he's made it clear from the off that he's in no mood to be too helpful to his French players at the expense of team morale.

I think it's a very good move, one I suspect that's come directly from the Arsenal of the mid to late nineties.

But to completely ban it? Surely that could alienate them further. 

I think it's important to recognise that aston villa is an english club but that we celebrate diversity. 

They need to learn English but let's help them out instead of just speaking a bit slower and banning their language.

Think it could hAve been worded a lot different.

I like this - he's banned the French players from speaking French and told the English players to speak more slowly. That's indirectly saying he knows that there is a split in the dressing room and he's not having it.

I don't know that he's necessarily saying that. He might not yet have a clue how things are in the dressing room. I think he just has experience of trying to understand a second language as spoken between first-language speakers.

I know from my experience that it's bloody frustrating to have to slow your speech down, to the point where you're thinking "why can't the stupid clearing just understand faster", and also that it makes it heaps easier for a second language learner if people do make the effort to slow it down for you.

In the dressing room, pitch and training, presumably. I'm sure they're allowed to go home to their loved ones and speak French ;)

• Like 1

that's not a surprise is it? Picking up on something that's not actually said and putting a negative spin on it. We are an English club and sooner the squad uses the common language the better it is for the squad. This is the same everywhere. I guarantee most French players will have basic English and you only get better by using that language so making English the first language is just common sense but if a player is struggling to understand I'm sure they'd rather someone tell them in their native tongue than to get it wrong. French is not banned nor is Spanish but for squad cohesion it's better if they communicate in English. 

• Like 4

In the dressing room, pitch and training, presumably. I'm sure they're allowed to go home to their loved ones and speak French ;)

No, they aren't allowed. In fact from this moment forth they may never use their native language again, even in their heads!!!

Garde out!

• Like 3

He didn't say "banning" though. The press have twisted his words to make it sound stricter than he said it.

Fox and Lerner were getting hammered by the media for choosing someone just because they speak French, now Remi gets it in the neck for saying they will have to speak English in the dressing room.  They're really hating the fact that Tim got sacked, which will make it even more satisfying when he keeps us up using the new lads.

• Like 2

Â