The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We don't want French being spoken in the dressing room....

guess the English players won't be needing those lessons after all

Edited by limpid
fixed embed
  • Like 1

Wonder if Senderos will be recalled in January. Nzogbia may even get a look in

If he can get them playing to their best then it's all good :) We need all the help we can get.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3302040/Remi-Garde-start-Arsene-Wenger-s-French-revolution-Arsenal-bring-calm-considered-approach-Aston-Villa-different-Tim-Sherwood.html

I remember when Remi Garde first arrived at Arsenal. He came in on the same day as Patrick Vieira in 1996 and you could say it was the beginning of a French revolution at the club.
Arsene Wenger was still seeing out his contract in Japan but clearly these were his signings. Nobody knew much about Vieira at that stage but Garde came in as an international with a good reputation. Though he didn’t play much at Arsenal – injuries hampered his career at the club – he made a big impression and was an important part of Wenger’s strategy.
We watched these arrivals with great interest. It was the start of a new beginning and Garde felt like a key part of the foundations. He is an intelligent football man but I always felt he was very intuitive as well. He had a good feel for the game and in many respects was very similar to Wenger.

He had a calm, considered approach as a player and I fully expect him to continue that as a manager. Remi was very thoughtful and always had a smile on his face. He wasn’t always particularly vocal but he was a good communicator within the group – he arrived fluent in English, though he did appreciate my efforts at speaking to him in broken French!
But you could not fail to be impressed by him and the other French players Wenger brought in. I remember training with them at the gym and thinking: ‘These guys are serious professionals. They mean business.’

In his second season, Garde played against West Ham in an FA Cup quarter-final replay. It was a hugely important game in our double-winning season and I remember it well. We had Dennis Bergkamp sent off and I took a kick to the head from John Hartson so was a bit groggy.
We were leading until Hartson equalised late on and the game went to penalties. A lot of the squad players were playing that night, including Remi, but none were afraid to step up and take one. He missed his but in the end it didn’t matter. We won the game on our way to the double.

That was an important win for us and showed the value of having squad players with great determination and belief. Garde was certainly that and he was very important in helping the English players understand the French mentality and appreciate exactly what Wenger wanted.
There were a lot of players in those Arsenal teams who you would have thought would make good managers, but that’s not always how it works out. But because Garde shared so many of Wenger’s qualities, it’s not surprised me that he’s taken the step.
Now he has a big job on his hands. I played for Aston Villa so can appreciate the size and history of the club. It is a great job but Garde has his work cut out.
In terms of temperament he will be very different to Tim Sherwood – just look at how calm he was during the game against Tottenham – but he will be taking in lots of information and formulating his ideas.
When Wenger came in at Arsenal, he gave each player a 15-minute interview to set out his expectations and ambitions. I think Garde should do the same at Villa.

Players like Micah Richards were given a chance by Sherwood so they will feel wounded by his departure. So Remi has to convince them to get on board with him, while others who have almost been frozen out will feel they have a second chance. Some of the French players in particular will be encouraged that they now have a manager who can understand their mindset and communicate more effectively with them.
There are some good players at Villa, and some good staff too. I did a coaching course with Tony Parks and he is an impressive figure. Wenger was very good at integrating the old and the new at Arsenal and I’m sure Garde is intelligent enough to do the same at Villa.
After the start they have made, it would almost be a miracle if Garde can keep them up. But it’s not impossible by any means. They suffered some big player losses in the summer and have lost their rhythm. In many respects it is a big gamble by Villa to appoint the Frenchman, but if Garde can follow in the footsteps of his mentor Wenger, then things can start to improve. 

• Like 2

Is there a part 2 ? Sbs posted is 3 mins Long but no mention of houllier or Wenger? 

On AVTV.

He also made it patently obvious, if it needed stating (and judging by some misguided posts on here it did) that he couldn't care less whether a player was French, English, Spanish or African he's only interested in the team as a whole.

It's about time that this club got with the 21st century game. I hope he can drag us there.

Does he remind anyone else of Wenger when he talks ,I know it sounds like an easy comparison due to the French but there is something else that I can't quite out my finger on.

Inspiring.

Yes.

He's a very easy talker, calm and measured. You can tell there is a lot more going on under the surface but he presents in a very clear and concise way.

He's definitely not an idiot, basically. I'm hopeful this will translate onto the pitch.

• Like 4

I don't think we will see all the French players in the team straight away. Remi won't want to create any potential Newcastle esq division within the dressing room. The trouble is that the current team have shown for the past 5yrs that they simply aren't good enough, so our best chance of survival is getting these new guys in and hoping they live up to the potential, without creating that division. Its potentially a tricky task, one I don't envy but one I hope our new gaffer is up to.

Does he remind anyone else of Wenger when he talks ,I know it sounds like an easy comparison due to the French but there is something else that I can't quite out my finger on.

Inspiring.

Yes, I noticed that he says 'erm' in that special way.

• Like 1

Â