The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

What were you expecting.

A bit of fight. You don't need a super duper manager to show that. 

Agreed, it's not the time to make excuses for poor performances. Outside of a 10 minute spell in the second half there was no fight and no desire. 10 minutes of it simply isn't good enough, pretty much every team in danger of relegation are capable of 10 minutes of fight against top half sides, it's just not enough.

People need to realise that the points have to come from somewhere and given we've already blown it against a number of poor sides so far, we're actually now going to have to take our fair share against teams in the top half. I hope we're not going to have excuses made for every time we lose against someone half decent, else we'll be excusing our way into the championship.  

I think fight would have been shown had they still been in the game, the goal after 2mins knocked the stuffing out of them due to ineptness on the line up picked and the actual players.

Then that just goes to show that they are mentally weak, and frankly as fans we should hold them to a higher standard. If Leicester were as mentally weak as us they would have like half the points at this stage than they actually have.

It's just not good enough. 

I think that comes from the management team, as Lerner put it a manager who doesn't buckle under pressure.

His first team selection will decide our fate. If he doesn't play our best players right from the start of his reign we are goosed. We don't have time for him to realise that Gil is our best player or that Amavi has to play left back.

Bon chance! I think you will need it.

Bring us back our pride and keep us up. That is all we ask.

I suggest you pick our best players and then stick with them to give them the opportunity to gel as a team. Most of us would suggest that you will need to bring in a new keeper, a striker and a few loan players from your mate Arsene in the next window. Your biggest task may prove to be securing the funds to make this happen.       

Quite impassive. Very calm, thoughtful look about him last night. No emotion when the goal went in.

I have high hopes for this guy. Just as I have high hopes for the young French guys we bought in the summer. Hope the combination of the two will be enough to drag us to safety.

• Like 4

Am i the only one who doesnt want to see (from what weve seen from them so far this season)

grealish  -- gil -- adama?

i see a lot posting them AM's and hoping garde chooses them but two of these players are going to be incredibly inconsistent who so far this season, offer nothing defensively for the times they are shit. (bit of leniency for Adama given hes come on towards end of the games which could have been told not to defend much given were usually losing etc etc but a lot of people have pointed out he just stands around) 

Especially with amavi lb, whilst very good going forward, has shown plenty of defensive mistakes and the lack of work rate of grealish for the times amavi goes forward is a bit of a problem

Adama isn't good enough yet to be starting.

Gil should be the first name on the teamsheet. Honestly right now I'd be happy to see Ayew instead of Grealish.

I agree with Steve again. Though I'd probably be starting Ayew up front with Sinclair, Bacuna and Gil as the support act, Gana and Sanchez behind them.

Truth is, I have no idea what Garde will do. As long as it's clear, consistent and he rewards those that earn their spot.

• Like 1

Am i the only one who doesnt want to see (from what weve seen from them so far this season)

grealish  -- gil -- adama?

i see a lot posting them AM's and hoping garde chooses them but two of these players are going to be incredibly inconsistent who so far this season, offer nothing defensively for the times they are shit. (bit of leniency for Adama given hes come on towards end of the games which could have been told not to defend much given were usually losing etc etc but a lot of people have pointed out he just stands around) 

Especially with amavi lb, whilst very good going forward, has shown plenty of defensive mistakes and the lack of work rate of grealish for the times amavi goes forward is a bit of a problem

Adama isn't good enough yet to be starting.

Gil should be the first name on the teamsheet. Honestly right now I'd be happy to see Ayew instead of Grealish.

I agree with Steve again. Though I'd probably be starting Ayew up front with Sinclair, Bacuna and Gil as the support act, Gana and Sanchez behind them.

Truth is, I have no idea what Garde will do. As long as it's clear, consistent and he rewards those that earn their spot.

Same for me. Sinclair and Bacuna would do a job tracking back as well.

It's a safe job for Garde. He can't lose, if he keeps us up he has done a very good job and if we go down the whole country knows we are shit and expects us to go down anyway so it's win win for garde and he will earn a small fortune in the process 

Yesterday's game was, in the main, pretty dire from a Villa point of view but for a chunk of the second half (after Gestede, Ayew and Gil were introduced) I saw a team that could play and threaten opposing defences and it gave me hope that, with the addition of our other summer signings and the involvement of a decent manager, we could start gaining points and climb up the table then in January supplement the squad however the manager sees fit and have a decent run in.

• Like 1

Sanchez has been simply woeful since he arrived. 

Really? I thought he was doing relatively okay this season. He was our best player against Palace and we fell apart when he was taken off. And last night he looked like the only Villa player actually doing his job. He's only started five league games. Was he that bad in his other appearances?

I think our back five is the main issue at the moment. Richardson is horrendous. Given last night's performance I really can't see him having a role under Garde. Amavi has to play. Lescott is a liability and Ciaran Clark has had enough chances now I'm afraid. He just isn't up to it. Hopefully Okore can stay fit and get back in the team. Hutton is Hutton. I know RB isn't Bacuna's best position but at least he's comfortable on the ball, which hopefully will be important in the new manager's system. Guzan is a mess but what can we do?

Micah Richards is the only reliable defender at the club right now. Which is funny considering how worried we were about him playing at CB.

And I'm so sick of pundits calling Gestede a handful. He can attack a cross but that's literally all he's done since he got here. He's not even that good in the air. He almost never wins flick-ons from our goal kicks. I can't name a defender he's played against who hasn't bossed him; Smalling and Dann completely dominated him. Calling him a handful is just another example of lazy ex-pros talking s*** when we all know they don't actually watch Villa games.

I don't know whose fault it was that we let the transfer window close without signing a proven goalscorer but I fear it could cost us.

Edited by Ooh-Ah
  • Like 3

Sanchez has been simply woeful since he arrived. 

Really? I thought he was doing relatively okay this season. He was our best player against Palace and we fell apart when he was taken off. And last night he looked like the only Villa player actually doing his job. He's only started five league games. Was he that bad in his other appearances?

I think our back five is the main issue at the moment. Richardson is horrendous. Given last night's performance I really can't see him having a role under Garde. Amavi has to play. Lescott is a liability and Ciaran Clark has had enough chances now I'm afraid. He just isn't up to it. Hopefully Okore can stay fit and get back in the team. Hutton is Hutton. I know RB isn't Bacuna's best position but at least he's comfortable on the ball, which hopefully will be important in the new manager's system. Guzan is a mess but what can we do?

Micah Richards is the only reliable defender at the club right now. Which is funny considering how worried we were about him playing at CB.

And I'm so sick of pundits calling Gestede a handful. He can attack a cross but that's literally all he's done since he got here. He's not even that good in the air. He almost never wins flick-ons from our goal kicks. I can't name a defender he's played against who hasn't bossed him; Smalling and Dann completely dominated him. Calling him a handful is just another example of lazy ex-pros talking s*** when we all know they don't actually watch Villa games.

I don't know whose fault it was that we let the transfer window close without signing a proven goalscorer but I fear it could cost us.

This is almost spot on for me - except I havent completely given up on Lescott yet.  He has been very poor so far but given he was WBA player of the year last year my hope is that he hasn't quite fallen off the cliff yet and could regain form. Neither Richardson nor Amavi have looked solid next to him and in turn they have not been given enough cover from MF. In a settled side, with a better shape there is still a chance that he could come good.

Am I mistaken or does Okore also prefer to play on the right side? If we could get Lescott back to last seasons form maybe Okore could be tried at RB? I'll also be interested if Ilori ever makes an apperance.

If we are not completely adrift by Xmas I expect us to bring in a decent striker and a CB minimum.

A great write up on the bbc website by their European football correspondent Andy Brassell about garde and what he brings. Looking forward to it as I think it will be a breath of fresh air as opposed to false dawns and stale air with the same old same old tactics (or non tactics) of the British manager

• Like 2

Welcome Remi, he has a hell of job to do! 

In some areas we have choices such as midfield but working out the right combination that represents our best starting line up will be easier said than done. All of our midfielders to a lesser or greater degree have issues. Some are inconsistent, error prone, ineffective or simply not good enough at times such as; Westwood, Bacuna, Sanchez, Sinclair and Grealish. Others show great or some promise but are constantly  in and out of the team such as Gana, Vertout. And our best midfielder Gill is often sidelined or introduced too late. Amongst this lot there must a playmaker somewhere. Gill seems to be the man but he can't do it alone and current Grealish has great potential but badly misses the likes of a Delph. 

Despite some terrible performances by the likes of Clarke and Lescott, considering the fact that we are bottom of the table, our defence overall has been better than other areas. We rarely get slaughtered any more but the likes of Richardson, Lescott and Clarke are clearly not PL standard. Hutton is solid on the right and although Amavi shows real promise, is great going forward, he needs to learn to defend and stop making errors. I believe that Richards and possibly Okore are our best current CB pairing but don't know Okore's fitness. The GK issue clearly needs resolving. 

Our ultimate problem is up front. Gabby other that as a late impact sub, is now finished as a starting PL striker. He cannot lead the line. Gestede will have his moments but he is not a PL quality striker. As for Ayew, I am not certain whether he is a striker or Attacking midfielder but he has shown real potential if we can work out the rest. Kozak - I have forgotten what he looks like - is he fit? But that is it. Probably the worst strikeforce options in the country, hence the main reason we are bottom. 

I don't think Remi Garde can save us without acquiring at least a striker and maybe a CB in January but by then it may be too late. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna

A great write up on the bbc website by their European football correspondent Andy Brassell about garde and what he brings. Looking forward to it as I think it will be a breath of fresh air as opposed to false dawns and stale air with the same old same old tactics (or non tactics) of the British manager

"He creates the environment in which players can express themselves, and favours attacking, possession-based football. It will be interesting to see if he reprises the 4-4-2 formation which got the most out of talent like Lacazette and playmaker Clement Grenier at Lyon."

If he goes down the 4-4-2 possession route with Villa it could get quite interesting rather quickly

It's a safe job for Garde. He can't lose, if he keeps us up he has done a very good job and if we go down the whole country knows we are shit and expects us to go down anyway so it's win win for garde and he will earn a small fortune in the process 

Maybe so but I doubt that he sees it as a win/win at all. If he is half the manager they claim he will desperate to make his mark. Villa could be his step up into the big time. Screw us up and he has little prospect of gaining a bigger job in the PL. However if he pulls it off and turns into a more progressive and successful club, the big boys may come knocking eventually. 

"He creates the environment in which players can express themselves, and favours attacking, possession-based football. It will be interesting to see if he reprises the 4-4-2 formation which got the most out of talent like Lacazette and playmaker Clement Grenier at Lyon."

If he goes down the 4-4-2 possession route with Villa it could get quite interesting rather quickly

We would be abysmal playing that system. 

Â