The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

I can't wait to see his first team.  

Imagine the meltdown if he picks the same team as last night or Wednesday!

I'd piss myself but it's safe to say a few may have played themselves out, there was certainly a lot of head shaking from Remi last night

Poisoned chalice doesn't even start to describe it all.

It must be one of the most daunting jobs in world football, the club is certainly in a mess to say the least

I'd say the sudden enormity of the challenge was there for all to see, written all over his face last night. And more than one of our players days as Villa players may well be numbered.

Good luck, Remi, but I imagine 12mths down the line this team may bear no resemblance to the one plodding aimlessly sround WHL last night.

It may be daunting but it's not a mess as a club, just on the pitch

I disagree. I think we're such a mess on the pitch because we're such a mess off it. An owner with no interest who didn't keep his promise to appoint a chairman. People in high positions where they have little experience and a recruitment process that has seen a squad put together that doesn't look like it belongs in this league. And we're on to the 3rd manager in an 8 month spell.

• Like 2

I'd say the sudden enormity of the challenge was there for all to see, written all over his face last night. And more than one of our players days as Villa players may well be numbered.

Good luck, Remi, but I imagine 12mths down the line this team may bear no resemblance to the one plodding aimlessly sround WHL last night.

I think you are underestimating this guy, I do not think 90mins at Spurs would have altered the enormity of the task that he knew he was coming too, Remi knew the task in hand before he entered WHL.

I think you are underestimating this guy, I do not think 90mins at Spurs would have altered the enormity of the task that he knew he was coming too, Remi knew the task in hand before he entered WHL.

I sincerely hope you are right, because the look on his face was priceless. 

If his preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 then I'd like to see.

----------------Guzan----------------

Bacuna---Richards--Okore--Amavi

-----------------Sanchez--------------

-----------Gana---------Veretout-----

Adama-----------------------------Gil----

-----------------Ayew-----------------

Or Grealish instead of Adama but sides switched with Gil.

I like that. I would actually start Sinclair left and Gil right if I was picking a team for tonight say.

I'm also a Hutton fan, he gets a raw deal from some because he's not very good at crossing. He does however carry the ball well and makes some very intelligent runs. When he isn't being asked to be our main attacking outlet he's a decent defender too, he basically needs that support. Worked well with Gil last night I thought, had a good game all round.

Veretout has to show more. The natural ability is there however, I'm confident of it. Would possibly start Westwood for now, I don't rate him in a 2 man midfield as he has been playing, but then I don't really rate any of them in that scenario.

Unless something is going on in training we are completely unaware of, aside from the few tweaks mentioned the core of that side pretty much picks itself. It amazes me that we've not seen anything like it yet.

Above all others Gana, Ayew and Gil would be my first names on the teamsheet, not a single one started last night. I don't think they've once been on the pitch together. Go figure.

If his preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 then I'd like to see.

----------------Guzan----------------

Bacuna---Richards--Okore--Amavi

-----------------Sanchez--------------

-----------Gana---------Veretout-----

Adama-----------------------------Gil----

-----------------Ayew-----------------

Or Grealish instead of Adama but sides switched with Gil.

I think he requires the wide players to fall back when not in possession. I wonder if Adama has that work ethic or discipline? I'd be inclined to play Sinclair.

Richards, Okore, Amavi, Gana, Veretout, Gil, Grealish, Ayew, Traore, Sinclair, Gestede... If he get's these playing anywhere near their potential and can get a consistent tune from one or two others I have no doubt in my mind we have more than enough to get above the likes of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Sunderland,  Norwich, Watford. Not an impossible job by any stretch and with the right starting line up and tactical substitutions when required we will be more than competitive.

I believe we do have the makings of an exciting squad and have several players who have the ability to change a game, far more than last year imo. I also don't believe we are as far off with the current personnel as many think in sorting this mess out. All the players need is good direction and faith in their abilities and we can definitely turn this around. Any good manager worth their salt would look at our situation and the squad and think they can enhance their reputation here. Although the last couple of games have been comfortable for the opposition we have been tactically inept and given away the advantage before a ball has even been kicked imo which hasn't helped. It's like starting a goal down.

I am also glad we have chosen to go down the foreign manager route for a change as the lack of tactical awareness from our last few british managers has imo massively contributed to our demise. The whole 'needing a british manager with prem experience' is overrated anyway. It's like many people think only british managers are capable of turning a team around when crap, when the reality is most are not currently capable of commanding top jobs and therefore spend the majority of time at clubs further to the foot of the table anyway. It's more about familiarity and not necessarily capability. It doesn't matter to me what nationality or how much premier league experience a manager has, the only thing I am interested in is whether or not they are switched on tactically and managing my team correctly. It really is that simple.

As for the fans we all need to get behind the new manager and the team as all is not lost, far from it!  

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 2

It may be daunting but it's not a mess as a club, just on the pitch

I disagree. I think we're such a mess on the pitch because we're such a mess off it. An owner with no interest who didn't keep his promise to appoint a chairman. People in high positions where they have little experience and a recruitment process that has seen a squad put together that doesn't look like it belongs in this league. And we're on to the 3rd manager in an 8 month spell.

Tom Fox is, by all reasonable measures, the chairman.

You are judging a squad that is yet to play under a football manager, you are judging the recruitment system based on this also. I'll agree with you if/when they fail.

Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Richards, Gil (a Reily signing I believe?) have all shown plenty of ability. Yet they've not once been on the pitch together. We've not seen much of Adama but he has also shown the explosiveness we definitely lack in limited viewings. We can talk as much bollocks as we like about their actual collective quality, nobody is suggesting they are "very good", only that there is a distinct lack of evidence that they are not.

Everything is up in the air for me right now. I'm completely on the fence. I choose hope rather than defeat.

• Like 2

Â